Project Retribution

Moderator: IskatuMesk

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Project Retribution

Postby IskatuMesk » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:04 pm

This shall be the CC front for Retribution updates and information, and the master thread for Project Retribution public information.

DEVELOPMENT STATUS

October 2014 -

The project was completed as an audiobook.

History
Nearly a year passed since Salvation's release in which I recovered from its lengthy production cycle and heavily critiqued my involvement with custom content. At the end of my soulseeking I decided to rebuild the project entirely, as an independent movie.

In early 2012 I had revised many assets and in November 2012 I committed fully to a huge revision project, in which I set out to remaster all old content, update the project to the Rebellion expansion, and set the foundations for new production.

Throughout the later quarter of 2012 and over half of 2013 I focused most of my energy into rebuilding Salvation's assets and bringing them up to the level of quality I expected out of Sins of a Solar Empire. From the particle effects to nearly every ship model, thousands of hours were devoted into cleaning up the mess left behind from Salvation.

Sins work reached a penultimate standstill in October 2013 and the decision was made to switch to the UDK earlier than planned. While success was had in the UDK and several major advancements hallmarked the push into 2014, the individual I had been relying on to start character models continued to express motivational disinterest over a year after he had become involved. Facing inevitable failure, the project was considered indefinitely dormant and UDK work ceased in early February.

The project resumed in late 2014 as an audio-book only creation, which was then released at Campaign Creations.
Image~[Gameproc]~Image
Warning: dialogue contains politically incorrect content. Viewer rearsore may occur.

mark_009_vn
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper

Re: Project Retribution

Postby mark_009_vn » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:49 am

Do you need models or skins I could make?

"I'm begging you, let me work!" - Osamu Tezuka

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:00 am

For the UDK, it's possible. But nothing I can predict quite yet.

Let's say your skill in making firearms might come in useful if I can somehow get Anahn infantry.
Image~[Gameproc]~Image
Warning: dialogue contains politically incorrect content. Viewer rearsore may occur.

mark_009_vn

Postby mark_009_vn » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:20 pm

IskatuMesk wrote:For the UDK, it's possible. But nothing I can predict quite yet.

Let's say your skill in making firearms might come in useful if I can somehow get Anahn infantry.

By Anahn infantry you mean...

At least that's what I always envision Anahn cronies would look like...

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:33 pm

Something like that.
Image~[Gameproc]~Image

mark_009_vn

Postby mark_009_vn » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:39 am

That makes me wonder about the looks of Anahn firearms... Blocky or organic? Anything that comes out of my hands ended up being anime esque, so you better expect that.

That to be said, maybe I'll take a crack at that Anahn infantry model just for kicks...

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:16 pm

Anahn firearms are very large and blocky, but not like, say, space marine stuff.

Can you model organics?
Image~[Gameproc]~Image

mark_009_vn

Postby mark_009_vn » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:41 am

IskatuMesk wrote:Anahn firearms are very large and blocky, but not like, say, space marine stuff.

My first time when it comes to futuristic firearms so don't be picky..... Not sure what you mean by "blocky but not Space Marines" though, I'm pretty sure blocky = space marines...

Proportions are not exactly correct, I've a hand drawn version that is much more accurate to my visions, but since I drew it in the back of my English book in class ( slacking off lerl... :P ), I'm not exactly sure how am I going to show it to you. The gun should be longer/ more imposing in general...

If you don't like anything, tell me to change the design...

Can you model organics?

The head might be a little too much for my tender skills, but I could probably do the body and kitbash it with a dragon head/ or I'll ask my sister to do it, she knows organics...

Had a design in my head for Anahn infantry armors, let's just say it's a merge between a Gundam, a badass trenchcoat, katanas, and dragon wings...

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:14 am

Well, Powerguns for starters are actually a classification of weapons. They're a variant of miniguns. Infantry-born powerguns would have rotating barrels and some other mechanisms. They'd also likely fire liquid metal. Hellfist as a classification is generally corvette or frigate mounting types. I haven't actually developed any infantry gear classifications that would be worth noting here, though, other than the mechanized bows and wristblades that Royal assassins use.

Anahn infantry weapons, particularly those in the first and second generations, wouldn't necessarily look like what we as humans consider "futuristic". They're very durable, built ruggedly. What you have there could certainly pass off as a first or second generation light arms for sure. Heavier weapons are usually built for power armor, again, unlike space marine or Starcraft (closer fitting, vacuum-safe, more mobile) and can usually mount to brackets on the actual forearm, shoulder, or hands of the armor in question. That is where you're much more likely to see Powerguns, since armor units can carry much more ammunition. You might also see rotary cannons.

I have the HKS on a sacred quest to try to hack a lineage 2 model into an Anahn infantry base mesh. Godspeed.

/e

also Intern Dynamics needs to be official somewhere.
Image~[Gameproc]~Image

mark_009_vn

Postby mark_009_vn » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:19 am

IskatuMesk wrote:Well, Powerguns for starters are actually a classification of weapons.

I intended to write "Powerguns ammo" (aka super heated liquid Tiran) but I ran out of writing spaces... :P Supposedly using a miniature slag cannon to fire powergun ammo is unconventional yes, but I liked the idea of turning my rifle into a automatic shotty with simple mag changes so I just go with it...

Hellfist as a classification is generally corvette or frigate mounting types. I haven't actually developed any infantry gear classifications that would be worth noting here, though, other than the mechanized bows and wristblades that Royal assassins use.

I ran out of names. :P

Also I'm surprised that you haven't realized it was made by Kill-Them-All Industries yet... So disappointment...

Anahn infantry weapons, particularly those in the first and second generations, wouldn't necessarily look like what we as humans consider "futuristic".

I consider anything with really really long barrels, funky looking stocks, and pointlessly dangling electrical wires/ protrusions to be my true definition of futuristic. In general I just have an orgy for really, really, really long automatic rifles (bonus point if you put a bayonet on top of it.)

They're very durable, built ruggedly. What you have there could certainly pass off as a first or second generation light arms for sure. Heavier weapons are usually built for power armor, again, unlike space marine or Starcraft (closer fitting, vacuum-safe, more mobile) and can usually mount to brackets on the actual forearm, shoulder, or hands of the armor in question. That is where you're much more likely to see Powerguns, since armor units can carry much more ammunition. You might also see rotary cannons.

So you mean...

I have the HKS on a sacred quest to try to hack a lineage 2 model into an Anahn infantry base mesh. Godspeed.

Any progress?...

/e

also Intern Dynamics needs to be official somewhere.

I used that name ever since Black and Sunny by the way. :)

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:44 am

HKS and progress is like peter and optimization.

Give it time and I'm sure he'll make a big mess.

I need to see if killer 11 is ever going to actually attempt anything for this character-wise before I really get desperate though. Unfortunately, the Anahn infantry are the least necessary, and probably the easiest, things I'd need done for this. I have no idea how I'm going to do Adashim, Annashim, Adjak, the Wayward Daughter, or Haktish. He's the only person I know with any remote experience at all, which is limited mostly to hacking clothing for Skyrim mods.

If all else fails, I will resort to hacking up Tera/Lineage stuff for those guys, too. I have zero experience, but I also have no choice.
Image~[Gameproc]~Image

mark_009_vn

Postby mark_009_vn » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:28 pm

IskatuMesk wrote:I have no idea how I'm going to do Adashim, Annashim, Adjak, the Wayward Daughter, or Haktish. He's the only person I know with any remote experience at all, which is limited mostly to hacking clothing for Skyrim mods.

If all else fails, I will resort to hacking up Tera/Lineage stuff for those guys, too. I have zero experience, but I also have no choice.

Wouldn't that just be easier? Since you'll only need to find some dragon models lying around in the internet for those guys?

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:20 am

I have plenty of dragon models. "Dragon models" takes a lot of working to get where we want; a posable, high-detail mesh with armor. The other characters are significantly more specific and I don't even know how I want Adashim to look like. I was going to fetch HKS some concept art to refer for the other dudes until I realized I couldn't find anything suitable.

/edit

I will have to build a document with the specific descriptions. I sent HKS the first version which is obviously really bare bones. As I figure out how English and writing works I will keep improvising this document.

Should we reach some kind of end game crossroads where I have a ton of UDK stuff done but not the characters then I will get desperate enough to harass you and your sister.
Image~[Gameproc]~Image

mark_009_vn

Postby mark_009_vn » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:32 am

IskatuMesk wrote:Should we reach some kind of end game crossroads where I have a ton of UDK stuff done but not the characters then I will get desperate enough to harass you and your sister.

Need a "hand"?

Anyway, first time doing organics, edge flow is absolutely horrid...

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:34 am

Mark, how do you feel about texturing entire scenes? Multiple objects, mostly mechanical in nature. Some with very specific designs (ruby/gold bladed engraving) others much more industrial/gritty (like your guns). You have experience making normals, too, right?
Image~[Gameproc]~Image

Return to “The Trampletorium”