Model Gallery

Moderator: IskatuMesk

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: Model Gallery

Postby IskatuMesk » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:03 pm

A new era is to begin. I will force its hand. Let this be the day the old world burns and a new takes hold. Today, we shall forge legends once more.

Image~[Gameproc]~Image
Warning: dialogue contains politically incorrect content. Viewer rearsore may occur.

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:22 pm

This is my 6666th post. I was going to post some Swastikas and satanic stuff, but I think this will do just as well.

Image~[Gameproc]~Image
Warning: dialogue contains politically incorrect content. Viewer rearsore may occur.

bajadulce
Terran Dropship Flight Attendant
Terran Dropship Flight Attendant

Postby bajadulce » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:20 am

I'm impressed. You've come a long way w/ these tools/skills.

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:13 pm

This was only a warmup. I'm going to work up to the very, very tough stuff gradually (the ship bridges will probably be amongst the hardest, and the large industrial scenes as well, with the battles being the most absolute difficult). This project depends on continued success of this nature..
Image~[Gameproc]~Image

mark_009_vn
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper

Postby mark_009_vn » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:06 am

IskatuMesk wrote:This was only a warmup. I'm going to work up to the very, very tough stuff gradually (the ship bridges will probably be amongst the hardest, and the large industrial scenes as well, with the battles being the most absolute difficult). This project depends on continued success of this nature..

Gud luck bra...

"I'm begging you, let me work!" - Osamu Tezuka

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:57 pm

Based on a chinese render.
Image~[Gameproc]~Image

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:40 am

I asked someone if I could use her Venator mesh for a base model in Retribution. A few days later of sparse work, and I transformed it into this.

Image~[Gameproc]~Image

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:39 am

I'll just leave this here, in case there's anyone left who recognizes it.

Image~[Gameproc]~Image

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Wed May 21, 2014 4:32 pm

A major dump of Retribution era 3d material I made. Remember, sins has a pretty strict poly limit, so most of this stuff is sort of like halfway done detail-wise.

^ Based on a mesh by SolCommand

^ Based on a mesh by Axel. This model was slated for a total redo.

^ Based on a mesh by Whisper2Me that was of no trivial note to fix... actually it took an entire day to fix.

^ This was a conceptual hack of a base model from Siber. I wasn't sure where to go with it, but before the project died I decided it would eventually go to DyiithJhinn.

^ Based on a base mesh by Axel

^ Not sure if this is the final version... probably not.

Image~[Gameproc]~Image

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:50 am

I have decided to move into Unreal 4 and put sc2 on hold until some tools are released for it. At least, for now. It's an opportunity to brush up on modern software and get into modeling again. Both the projects share the same universe, so technically, anything I make mesh-wise for unreal 4 can be used in sc2. However, the textures used in Unreal 4 are dramatically different from the ones in sc2. Also, since sc2 doesn't have collision meshes, using anything more than the doodad objects would be a real mess.

I have started my task in learning modeling with a very simple greek-styled futuristic tileset. This is a modular tileset, so it is intended to be used to build very large maps (I think Unreal 4 supports 20x20x20km, I plan to use most of this for each zone). There is a max plugin/UE plugin in the works that will allow one to import an entire scene into the engine and properly instance all of the max instances, so once that is created, I'll go back to making the scenes the way I was for Black Sun (shown previously in this thread).

These are all exceedingly low poly at the moment (my tests yielded the engine can handle some ten million+ tris before performance becomes concerning, and this scene in its entirety doesn't break 150k despite the lack of optimization), but that is probably all that is necessary for this specific tileset. Thankfully, marble structures don't need much in the way of mesh detail. They just need a lot of engravings that I can possibly achieve with third party vectors in the future. I hope I can step up my modeling game for the other, far more difficult tilesets, like the organic ones (such as caves). I don't have any clue how I am going to manage those yet.

Some basic walls. Smoothing groups will rough out those hard edges. I have not made symmetry variants for the top segments yet. I also don't know how to make ceilings yet. I referenced some photos for these but I can't really model off of references, so my variants look way different. I need a few more dozen types of walls, but this is enough for starters.

Some pillars and some braziers, along with a bunch of floor chunks. The pillars are from the Armageddon Onslaught 2 project in 2010 that never got anywhere. I didn't know how to remake them, so I used these as a basis. Obviously, the braziers are based on those meshes, too, since I didn't remember how I made those exotic designs. The chains were exceedingly difficult to get looking proper.

Some generic large pipes and pipe bracing objects. Having a basis to start off here is pretty important. I'll need a couple hundred pipe models for this project. I don't actually know what details I'd like to add for the possibility of one day learning how to UV and bake normals, so I've left them bare for now. Maybe they won't need any. It greatly depends on what textures they eventually get and the mood the scenes will have. Sometimes less is more.

If I become proficient in Unreal 4 and manage to find suitable character models, I may attempt the Retribution video project once more. That would actually be easier than my current project. But both need me to become a modeler of at least some level of competence. Whether or not I ever manage to achieve that will greatly depend on if I stop coughing up blood and can focus on my work for once.

These are some of the rips/ports I made for sc2. They weren't finished, but I'm showing them because it may be the only time they are seen by the public.

^ This is a mesh I edited to remove a weird looking scarf that did not look good in modern standards. I also had to edit the texture to hide baked lighting from that object. I also had to create specular and normals, which I did with Mindtex. I used mindtex exclusively for all similar operations. In my experience it produces far better results than nDo, and is much faster to use.

What Wasn't Finished

I planned to give her physics hair and isolate the specular more realistically. I also planned to record and implement probably around 100-200 foley sounds for the attacks and movements of those attacks. I was delegating if I wanted to try to simplify some of the fur details for sc2 or not, but generally I am against removing details unless it causes serious moire issues. That wasn't a problem with this mesh.

^ I color corrected Gna's carrier, made proper glow animations for it, and gave it team-playered glow like I did all protoss units and buildings (like alpha sc2).

What Wasn't Finished

Engine particles were not polished. I needed to see them ingame as a functional unit to make my judgement. I didn't get that far before I stopped with sc2.

^ Player color protoss units and buildings were created using the XML script. Most of my screenshots are taken in default lighting, so it makes their specular/emissive look really overblown. That said, I did plan to do some rebalancing of their colors and brightness in the future. The pylon in particular was a nuisance to get looking at all like I intended.

Zeratul's mesh has a huge host of problems, including unweighted vertexes, clipping, and spaghetti arms. I was able to fix all but the latter in about a minute tops. I did plan to fix the spaghetti arms once I learned more about organic modeling. I intended to do a more fine-tuned emissive pass on him eventually. Also, his animations are abhorrent. I intended to remake all of his attack animations by keyframing individual bones if I had to. They are disgusting.

I forgot the PC immortal in this image. And a bunch of other units, apparently, including the Nullifier.

^ Some games I ported from I would need to do some filters to their normals to get the appropriate appearance in sc2's glossy rendering.

^ Units like this needed cubemapping to really look proper in sc2. I intended to try to arrange that sometime, but it was low priority.

^ This one turned out pretty good.

^ Sreg, when he was still alive, was helping me create emissives and color correct some of these. This one needed a little bit more tuning on the normal map, and a cubemap for his metal parts.

^ My goal to replace all of sc2's default assets was well under way. I had enough rippable assets to replace basically all organic objects in the game. Shown here is a small chunk of a scene I have containing a few dozen of Tera's rocks. Not shown is the dozen or so sets of textures I had for different tilesets. Some of them still have tiling issues, like sc2s, but it's a lot less noticeable. I tried to create static physics for them, but they wouldn't convert properly for reasons unknown, so I gave up on that pretty fast. Of course, I upped the terrain tiling rate so it would look nice alongside my higher resolution assets. I also planned to replace the majority of terrain textures. I was redoing normal maps for the existing terrain textures as well, a venture that was also yielding positive results. My goal was to remove as much gloss from the game as possible, while bringing up its asset quality to at least semi-modern standards. I intended to abolish all traces of sc2's existing art direction. Any default assets that remained would be re-textured or at least have a few color correction passes. The most notable would have been the zerg. Their washed out and boring colors needed to be something more like sc1, and have more player color. I was going to preserve their glossy look, but how I was going to fix their diffuses I was not sure. Perhaps something more fleshy and insectoid. I'm not an artist, so I'd probably have to use filters to do that. That was a very long-term objective.

Fixing the sounds, on the other hand, was going to be relatively easy. I was starting with Terran first. I was almost finished most of the default attack/impact sounds.

I can very likely use these in unreal 4, but I'll need to develop a pipeline to convert the textures to something PBR compliant. From what I understand, specular functions very differently, and you have a few other channels to worry about now (namely Roughness). But I won't know until I try.

^ A while back I was trying to recreate Delphinium's physics-based "web" dress thing he posted about. I was only partly successful. Only one chain of physics objects would behave, and not very properly. The second any other kind of physics object was added to the scene, regardless of where or what it was, all other physics objects would flip their shit. No one had answers, so I gave up on that, too. I worked on solutions for several days to no end. I wanted to try to bake physics animations, but those required an existing animation for the physics to work, which I didn't have. Reaktor just immediately hung instead of doing anything productive. PhysX would happily clip without animations. Useless. I hope I have better luck in unreal 4.

^ Character model from Tera with a magical arrow that phases in for attacks. I used this to learn how to make sc2 particles, GL animations, and projectiles. All turned out very well. The model itself would need a lot of work to be considered finished. I'd have to simplify the hair, probably the bow, and some other things to prevent moire. I didn't know how to do that, so I left it as-is for the time being. At game view this model remains quite readable, so it was a good test for how well these ports were going to pan out.

^ This one was due for color correction. Jademus disappeared before he could finish the work.

Image~[Gameproc]~Image

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:58 am

Void Hound using my sc2 textures in Unreal 4.

I tried to make PBR materials for it but the editor won't import them for some reason.
Image~[Gameproc]~Image

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:14 am

PBR-compliant materials I rendered out of Filterforge during the tail end of Retribution's production. I showed a few of them during my UDK ventures. Here's a few more. Really curious how they'll look once they make Temporal AA usable.

Image~[Gameproc]~Image

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:29 pm

A simple mockup of what could have been had things been different.

Image~[Gameproc]~Image

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:58 am

PBR Conviction in Unreal 4.

Image~[Gameproc]~Image

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:13 pm

Might try to finish the lighting on this one for the tech document. We'll see. This is totally dynamic lighting btw, there's no DFGI or lightmass in this atm. (also, "physical" lighting is hard as fuck to light a room with?)
Image~[Gameproc]~Image

Return to “The Trampletorium”