Model Gallery

Moderator: IskatuMesk

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Model Gallery

Postby IskatuMesk » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:48 pm

I've never had a gallery for my models on cc, I only posted some steamy shoots in random blogs and such. Some are built on base meshes supplied by TheCoach, some are updates to old models, some are very early WIP's of new stuff. Whatever the case, if I feel to post a significant model post, it'll go here.

Unless stated otherwise, nothing is considered complete.
Image~[Gameproc]~Image
Warning: dialogue contains politically incorrect content. Viewer rearsore may occur.

Pr0nogo
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy

Re: Model Gallery

Postby Pr0nogo » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:18 pm

Are you actively working on some/all of these?

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:30 pm

You could say that.
Image~[Gameproc]~Image
Warning: dialogue contains politically incorrect content. Viewer rearsore may occur.

mark_009_vn
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper

Postby mark_009_vn » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:16 am

A rundown on the names of the ships? Except for the first and second one (Champion and the 2nd gen Warlord ship) I haven't seen the others before...

Also can I texture it?

"I'm begging you, let me work!" - Osamu Tezuka

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:30 am

The texture restrictions are likely to render any efforts entirely futile. I'm not going to worry about texturing them, even though I know how.

As for the ships names, maybe one day you'll know.
Image~[Gameproc]~Image

mark_009_vn

Postby mark_009_vn » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:39 am

IskatuMesk wrote:The texture restrictions are likely to render any efforts entirely futile. I'm not going to worry about texturing them, even though I know how.

I'm pretty sure someone with such fanatical will power as I am couldn't be easily stopped by those gigantic hulk of metal...

As I said.. Could I texture it?

Also since when did you learn texturing XD

As for the ships names, maybe one day you'll know.

Well, with conventional weaponry and Anahn esque designs.. I guest those are Anahn ships? And if that's the case, what exactly are you planning to do with "those"?

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:02 am

Correct, they are all Anahn ships.

As for textures, don't you remember this?

Granted, it was my only textured/UV'd model ever. But Anahn ships don't really have any details. Just the royal decree/bloodfist banners, if anything (warlords even less). They are much too large for any real mechanical details, and they have no windows anything.

But we'll see. I have to finish them first.
Image~[Gameproc]~Image

mark_009_vn

Postby mark_009_vn » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:00 am

IskatuMesk wrote:Correct, they are all Anahn ships.

As for textures, don't you remember this?

You made it ALL by yourself or was that with some assistance? (always thought Sarge made those and you just copy/paste stuff over)... If so then congratulations, you just conquered your irrational fear of texturing... >_>

Granted, it was my only textured/UV'd model ever. But Anahn ships don't really have any details. Just the royal decree/bloodfist banners, if anything (warlords even less). They are much too large for any real mechanical details, and they have no windows anything.

But we'll see. I have to finish them first.

Obviously something 2000kms in size don't need much in terms of details, but texturing could still brings out/ highlights details in the model it self that would be lost by pure titling... You could also adds static lighting in the texture sheets, which helps make the ship looks more realistic and natural, since you can never ever rely on dynamic lighting... The overall colorings of the ship also depends on the textures, so having even the most rudimentary of textures is still better than no textures at all....

..If you ever need me for anything, I'll be there to help you. K bro? I need something to do to improve my skills.... Think of me as an intern.. really.. :P

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:47 am

Sarge made the base textures and the edits to the mesh. But I remade the wings entirely from scratch, and I had to manually fix most of his UV's after I modified the hull. Additionally, his textures were built on max materials, so I had to rebuild those using some base components in photoshop. Quick, dirty, and it worked.

Do you have any examples of your skinning?
Image~[Gameproc]~Image

mark_009_vn

Postby mark_009_vn » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:54 pm

IskatuMesk wrote:Do you have any examples of your skinning?

Skinning is something that you could easily pick up on the fly.. I haven't been seriously skinning for very long (just last week..), but I have been able to create really professional looking stuff quite easily and quickly... You just need to understand how to use the tools and experiment a lot in order to be a good texturer...

http://www.campaigncreations.org/blog/b ... 6785&b=344

These are my most recent works for the Misery mod development team for Stalker: Call of Pripyat.... Everything was done entirely by scratch in Photoshop, including the detailing on the receivers/ barrels, etc etc... I don't use base materials, but I do abuse the living Christ out of layer blending options to add in details in the texture sheet...

Within 30 minutes of abusing blending options, even a brain damaged IskatuMesk could achieve incredible results in texturing...

I could teach you EVERYTHING you need to know about Photoshop.. Using Photoshop really is just about abusing workarounds and shortcuts to create extremely photo-realistic textures without exerting much energy... You mostly only need to experiment..

Sarge made the base textures and the edits to the mesh. But I remade the wings entirely from scratch, and I had to manually fix most of his UV's after I modified the hull. Additionally, his textures were built on max materials, so I had to rebuild those using some base components in photoshop. Quick, dirty, and it worked.

Did you make all the detailing yourself? Obviously not the engravings/emblems but the lighting and the mechanical components.. If so than you're a certified texturer already...

>:3

The only problem to skinning TOA ships now is the UV part... These models are incredibly detailed to the point that they rivals CGI pieces/ high poly models used for baking normal maps... So UV mapping the individual faces is probably going to take far more time than actually skinning it it self... Of course, time is your only real enemy here.. not skills....

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:12 pm

The lighting is all the engine. The textures have no "lighting". I used nDo I think to make the normals.

Did you make those models or just the textures? Your stuff looks comparable to the veterans of CDG (counterstrike custom community) rather easily.

And, my models are far, far from CGI quality. They're all ingame, low-poly stuff. But UV'ing that wing was a mess and the UV's didn't turn out particularly good.
Image~[Gameproc]~Image

mark_009_vn

Postby mark_009_vn » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:37 am

IskatuMesk wrote:The lighting is all the engine. The textures have no "lighting". I used nDo I think to make the normals.

This is why the Juggernaut looked like SHIT in Starcraft 2.. I have never seen any engines capable to doing lighting good enough to ignore static lighting altogether... Especially RTSes... If you notice carefully, texture sheets created for games even in Crytek 3 standards still have some sort of static lighting in them.. They just make the model look better in low light conditions...

Also, for maximum usage flexibility, it'd still be better to have static lighting in models for use in games with shitty shadings (like Sins)

Did you make those models or just the textures? Your stuff looks comparable to the veterans of CDG (counterstrike custom community) rather easily.

You're so easily pleased Mesk... SO EASILY PLEASED... XD

This particular skin is simple to make, as it uses textures manipulated from another source.. I made it in 30 minutes... Really, all of these textures are made mostly by abusing Photoshop filters/ Layer bendings.. They're not all that difficult to do...

Wait... You DO know the abbreviations I'm talking about rite!?..

The model is not made by me.. But it would have been better if I did.. Since the model is god awful low poly (1.5k tris or something), and it is UVed by vodka filled Ukrainian interns from Mars.. Vodka'd interns.. much worse than their sober American counter-parts!...

These are nothing compared to the bunch of guys I'm working with (the Misery mod devs for Stalker: Call of Pripyat), they're 10 times better at this stuff then I am...

This the works of N. Aaroe... He is my big bad boss in the mod team pretty much.. It doesn't make you shudder, until you realized he f**ckin make all of the textures in the modification himself... FROM SCRATCH!.!.!!!.!.1111

And, my models are far, far from CGI quality. They're all ingame, low-poly stuff. But UV'ing that wing was a mess and the UV's didn't turn out particularly good.

You gotta know the interns are lazy... 50k tris is already good enough quality to be "CGI material" nowadays...

And yes, UVing is the hardest part.. You could try to split the UV into several different texture sheets to ease the process of UVing, professionals do this in order to lighten workload/ improve quality...

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:46 am

The Juggernaut is like 6 sets of textures. It's hilariously ineffective. Unfortunately, sins has a low memory limit and I'm already skirting it. I don't care enough to try to uv these so far into this.

Believe me, though, if it comes to modeling the weapons I am after for the UDK portion of this, I'm going to want you to skin them. Can you UV?

I used layers to minor extent for the juggernaut but really the program is so sluggish that using it for anything past the basics gets really annoying real fast.
Image~[Gameproc]~Image

mark_009_vn

Postby mark_009_vn » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:56 am

IskatuMesk wrote:The Juggernaut is like 6 sets of textures. It's hilariously ineffective. Unfortunately, sins has a low memory limit and I'm already skirting it. I don't care enough to try to uv these so far into this.

Oh wow... I guest AK-47s is a lot different than gigantic demon spaceships in terms of UVing... :S

Believe me, though, if it comes to modeling the weapons I am after for the UDK portion of this, I'm going to want you to skin them. Can you UV?

As a fanatical fan of your creation, I'm honored to be under your wing...

*Fanatic mode off*

I could potentially UV.. But it'd take time because I'm a very slow worker... Also what exactly are you working on then/what do you want me to skin?
Guns? Swords? Chain-mail bikinis? I could skin them all if you like.

I used layers to minor extent for the juggernaut but really the program is so sluggish that using it for anything past the basics gets really annoying real fast.

Odd? I've over 20+ layers in my skins and Photoshop don't lag even for a slightest bit.. And my computer is like.. in the 1980s.. Are you sure there are nothing wrong?

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:10 am

If I am able to create what I want to create, it will probably be a sword. maybe a gun or two. I don't know if I'll be able to do with them what I want, or even if I can model them.

I use photoshop CS5.1. It's slow. Very slow.
Image~[Gameproc]~Image

Return to “The Trampletorium”