2042 division

Moderator: IskatuMesk

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

2042 division

Postby IskatuMesk » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:06 pm

That AO2 division was a stain upon on my black bathrobe, so I had it scrubbed out by some interns. In its place is the 2042 division! Yeah!

Yeah, there's still some old AO2 content lying around I'll just let rot there. There really isn't much hope of that project concept ever being used in anything, but it can stay here for old time's sake.

2042 is my UDK game project. This forum probably won't serve as much more than a giant information dump, but some threads in particular will be of interest if you're interested in the project, since a few people asked me about it a time back.

- The Public Document is basically the Game Document in concise format, but it will still be exhaustive and wordy.
- The various GEC documents as they show up are kind of like the game document, but not very technical. They will focus very much on how the game will play and such.
- There'll be some independent threads, like eventually a story/character thread that will detail on some of the faces and anuses present in the game.
- All status updates, dev journals, and video material will be limited to this forum. I don't plan to post them anywhere else except maybe some on my blog, and the videos will probably be on youtube.

If you have any questions or suggestions or such you can feel free to ask, but this forum probably won't get any activity outside of my own spam, since most people prefer to talk to me directly.

2042, assuming it gets places, will probably take a really long time to get to those places. I have a lot to learn and I'm not a particularly fast learner. This will be no simple mod or campaign kind of deal. So, while simplistic and basic now, this place will serve as a huge repository in the future.
Image~[Gameproc]~Image
Warning: dialogue contains politically incorrect content. Viewer rearsore may occur.

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: 2042 division

Postby IskatuMesk » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:53 am

Alright, so here's what I'm thinking of for the tail end of 2011.

Dungeon Defenders plans to release their source code again (for the release this time) somewhere in November. This is a UDK game, and it has a lot of stuff very similar to what I want to do, so I plan to wait for that before I really start messing with stuff. I may actually even start with modding their game a bit, e.g. putting in my own custom units or maps, or at least trying to. Ultimately what I would love to do is;

- Build a modified version of their TPS engine (no zoom out)
- Build a modified version of their combat engine (really could just copy/paste for the time being)
- Build a modified version of their AI and spawning engine (build it based on destructible units or objects, make units seek those objects and attack each other...)

Really, the Dungeon Defenders source code will be a colossal blessing to this project. A lot of the things it has in it could be used as a basis for my own material, including the extremely basic inventory (I didn't plan to do a lot of item-related junk in 2042, just the basics). I would do myself well in taking advantage of it and learning from it.

Something I read semi-often is that Unreal has a hard time dealing with a lot of skeletal meshes/NPC's (I read 64 as an upper limit for most hardware) but DD handles it perfectly fine. I plan to stress test their spawns to see how many units I can push, but I'm sure there's been plenty of instances of more than 64 units up at once. Replacing their units with higher poly meshes will be a good start in my stress testing. I think DD owes its performance in part to incredibly simplified AI, but we'll see.
Image~[Gameproc]~Image
Warning: dialogue contains politically incorrect content. Viewer rearsore may occur.

mark_009_vn
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper

Postby mark_009_vn » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:59 pm

IskatuMesk wrote:Really, the Dungeon Defenders source code will be a colossal blessing to this project.

Or a colossal mess up. Script merging is not as easy as one would though, you'll need to be able to fully understand what the script does if you want to mangle it in unimaginably inappropriate places, at the least, full understanding is required to correctly bug test and modify (which you'll have to do anyway to fit your needs). My advise is learn the language's basics first before doing anything else, don't get demoralized by Dustin Bowder man, scripting is easy, it's kind of like using triggers on Galaxy but without the comfy GUI and requires alot more devotion and time.

Being here, I'd like to ask you a personal question, is 2042 going to be silly and filled with crazy Mesk talks or it's going to be like TOA?

"I'm begging you, let me work!" - Osamu Tezuka

mark_009_vn

Postby mark_009_vn » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:23 pm

Really, the Dungeon Defenders source code will be a colossal blessing to this project. A lot of the things it has in it could be used as a basis for my own material, including the extremely basic inventory (I didn't plan to do a lot of item-related junk in 2042, just the basics). I would do myself well in taking advantage of it and learning from it.

Or a colossal mess-up. Script merging is more complicated than you might think, you'll need to understand how the script works properly in order to mangle it into places most unimaginable and wet, full understanding is to the least, required to correctly bug test and modify (which you'll have to anyway in order to suit your needs). I suggest you should focus your priority toward learning the very basics of C++, as soon as you're able to read lines of codes and understand them, you'll be very much good to go. Also don't be demoralized by Dustin Bowder, while coding may be time consuming to figure out, the fundamentals of coding is actually VERY easy to grasp if you have knowledge with mapping triggers like in Staredit or Galaxy.

I found it really easy to learn and understand LUA after alot of trigger and I/O scripting (alas Hammer) in Haft-life 2.

mark_009_vn

Postby mark_009_vn » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:29 pm

Ops. I didn't know that threads have to be approved. Sorry if it looks like spam, feel free to delete the interns.

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:13 am

I find it exceedingly hilarious your posts need approval but somehow those damn bots keep getting through.

mark_009_vn wrote:Being here, I'd like to ask you a personal question, is 2042 going to be silly and filled with crazy Mesk talks or it's going to be like TOA?

2042 is wholly unlike TOA.
Image~[Gameproc]~Image

UntamedLoli
Protoss Infested Terran (Unemployed)
Protoss Infested Terran (Unemployed)

Postby UntamedLoli » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:21 am

I blame ricky.

Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Postby Ricky_Honejasi » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:39 am

I didn't approve anyone in a long while except mark_009_vn a day or two ago or so.

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:55 pm

Well, they are being sneaky then.
Image~[Gameproc]~Image

Return to “The Trampletorium”