John Titor...real time traveler or brilliant cheater?

A collection of past threads worth keeping for the community to read.
Revan
Terran Dropship Flight Attendant
Terran Dropship Flight Attendant

Re: John Titor...real time traveler or brilliant cheater?

Post by Revan »

It depends. Larc is talking about travelling into the future which I think is entirely possible, just not now. Travelling back into the past is what people consider impossible and if you just think about you can only agree with that. Just think about the time paradoxes.
Larc wrote: What is this,a warning?
1) You aren't a mod...so your opinion means nothing.
2) What problems do you have? If you don't like this topic,just don't read it....
That was just trolling, don't get upset.
Signature can be found here.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

If I travel to a different time zone- Have I not effectively traveled time?

One might argue, well, it's the same time, only humans have determined it to be a different time. Well, if that were true, then humans have labeled the past as past and future as future, so in that case, if I "travel back" to one year ago, and have the ability to communicate with those of the present, is it not the same as me going to one time zone ahead of me and communicating with someone?
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
tipereth
Zerg Hydralisk Nail Stylist

Post by tipereth »

Get your metaphysics out of my physics. Seriously. That's a completely different topic of discussion. (in which you are probably right)

You cannot accelerate an object of consequential  mass to a fast enough speed for it to undergo the relativistic effect. The end. It would require another spatial object of infinite mass, and that's not possible.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

I am an object of infinite mass since I am God and all
Larc
Terran Goliath Dome Polisher

Post by Larc »

Lavarinth wrote: If I travel to a different time zone- Have I not effectively traveled time?

One might argue, well, it's the same time, only humans have determined it to be a different time. Well, if that were true, then humans have labeled the past as past and future as future, so in that case, if I "travel back" to one year ago, and have the ability to communicate with those of the present, is it not the same as me going to one time zone ahead of me and communicating with someone?
Time ago,I've talked with a Japanese girl from Tokio who was already into the night of the next day. (I'm Italian,so 9 hours of difference between her and me) Funny, huh? I don't think she was ahead or behind,if you can chat with a person in real time,it sort of proves that he\she is here and also you are. Just different light of the day I think.

About the ability of talking from the past with a person of the present,I don't think it will be possible....also the guy in question (Titor) wasn't able to do such a thing.
tipereth wrote: Get your metaphysics out of my physics. Seriously. That's a completely different topic of discussion. (in which you are probably right)

You cannot accelerate an object of consequential  mass to a fast enough speed for it to undergo the relativistic effect. The end. It would require another spatial object of infinite mass, and that's not possible.
Never heard about Paul Davies? He is a British-born physicist,writer and broadcaster,presently a professor at Arizona State University.
In the past has occupied the desk most prestigious of physics in England,that of Cambridge,and he is convinced that a time-machine can be build.
The scientists says that In our galaxy exist a Big Black Hole with a mass over a million times the mass of the sun (I know that the Black Holes doesn't have infinite mass,but they have infinite density),and according to the scientists is sufficient....
But this is only theory...
Last edited by Larc on Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

They spoke to the past in South Park using toy prank call phones. Possible.
- - Lavarinth
tipereth

Post by tipereth »

Stephen Hawking has proved that if you built a time machine it would explode before you could use it. I'm not sure how he did that, but if you want to throw random names into the ring as your argument, I'd be more than happy to do the same.

For something to accelerate to a substantial speed around the supermassive object at the center of the galaxy, it would have to ENTER the galaxy with a great enough speed to avoid being deflected by any local start or planets, and it would still take a very long time (on the scale of thousands of years) to theoretically reach such a speed. Long enough that anyone on board would die. Time travel is impossible.
Larc

Post by Larc »

tipereth wrote: Stephen Hawking has proved that if you built a time machine it would explode before you could use it. I'm not sure how he did that, but if you want to throw random names into the ring as your argument, I'd be more than happy to do the same.

For something to accelerate to a substantial speed around the supermassive object at the center of the galaxy, it would have to ENTER the galaxy with a great enough speed to avoid being deflected by any local start or planets, and it would still take a very long time (on the scale of thousands of years) to theoretically reach such a speed. Long enough that anyone on board would die. Time travel is impossible.
1) It's not a random name,Paul Davies ia a physicist,and I've mentioned him because you've talked about physics.
2) The Theory of Davies is mentioned also by some "expert scientists" (look the videos if you understand my language)
3) Every physician has his own theory,Hawking doesn't believe in time-travel,Davies yes,what's the problem?
4) I suggest you to read Paul Davies's book called "How to Build a Time Machine",this book will make your ideas clear.

I see that you like being right,you don't bear someone to think differently from you or what?

With this I close because I don't want to dwell further on....
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Probable.
- - Lavarinth
tipereth

Post by tipereth »

I cannot tolerate when ideas that defy common sense and basic physical knowledge are taken as absolute and true. Sue me.
Marco
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Marco »

I'm amazed you guys can even 'debate' this.  This is well beyond current human understanding.
The Music of Squad 303  (Celestial Reverie Music by Joel Steudler)

[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/anise.mp3]Anise McConnell[/url]
[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/bryce.mp3]Bryce Littlefield[/url]
[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/issac.mp3]Issac Rangel[/url]
[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/tyson.mp3]Tyson Reznor[/url]

"That mutalisk must have seen your stoic beauty glistening in its eye and tried to die looking at an angel in heaven."
-- Bryce Littlefield
WB
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by WB »

The media being slow on internet happenings isn't new. This is very old. If you get your internet news from TV media, you don't belong on the internet. He mentioned things that WILL happen at the end of 2005 that did NOT happen. This is FAKE. Whether or not time travel is real, this is fake.

Jesus Christ, leave some things to die.
tipereth wrote: I cannot tolerate when ideas that defy common sense and basic physical knowledge are taken as absolute and true. Sue me.
QFT
Now with 50% more lol, 50% more win, and 100% phlail.
www.sc2campaigns.net - Coming Soon!!
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

The debate somewhat switched to time travel instead of John Titor, who is just another person of the list of internet history who most likely was another fraud.
- - Lavarinth
Mucky
Protoss Khalai Missionary
Protoss Khalai Missionary

Post by Mucky »

Larc wrote: I see that you like being right,you don't bear someone to think differently from you or what?

With this I close because I don't want to dwell further on....
See what you did right there? You "closed" the argument, getting the last say and effectively dismissing anything else Tipereth had to say. Not to mention it amounts to nothing more than ad hominem. I'd say Tipereth isn't the only person that likes being right. Actually, anyone with human tendencies would like being right.

Anyway, I'm with Tipereth on this. Time travel is not possible. In fact, time doesn't actually "exist". It can't be measured. We have things that have existed in the past up until now and events that have taken place in the past. But time is neither an event nor a thing.

Even the act of moving forward in time (which is actually called time dilation and not time travel btw) as you've stated is impossible. Light has no mass. Considering all of the practical limitations and complications, there is no way an object WITH mass will be able to accelerate to a speed even remotely close to light. Actually, Tipereth already said this, but instead of refuting this point you've offered the "anything is possible" fallacy.

Hey, in a million years I'm going to have a penis the size of Jupiter using an enlargement ray. And there's nothing wrong with that.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

In all seriousness I'd have to agree- It's not likely for time travel to exist. Perhaps recreate the past, (ala Assassin's Creed style,) but to be able to travel back and forth freely seems unlikely.
- - Lavarinth