Un-dispelable spirit link

Blake
Terran Goliath Dome Polisher

Un-dispelable spirit link

Post by Blake »

I was just wondering if there was any way to make spirit link un-dispelable using the wc3 editor...
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: Un-dispelable spirit link

Post by RazorclawX »

None that I know of. It's something I've been toying with myself; the only thing to do is to refresh it every once in a while.
-- Razorclaw X
Creator of Wanderers of Sorceria and Vision of the Future
Blake

Post by Blake »

I basically thought of this triggger:

Untitled Trigger 025
    Events
        Unit - A unit Begins casting an ability
    Conditions
        Or - Any (Conditions) are true
            Conditions
                (Ability being cast) Equal to Disenchant
                (Ability being cast) Equal to Disenchant (Old)
                (Ability being cast) Equal to Dispel Magic
                (Ability being cast) Equal to Dispel Magic (Neutral Hostile)
                (Ability being cast) Equal to Abolish Magic
                (Ability being cast) Equal to Abolish Magic
                (Ability being cast) Equal to Abolish Magic (Neutral Hostile)
                (Ability being cast) Equal to Abolish Magic (Neutral Hostile, second position)
                (Ability being cast) Equal to Devour Magic
                (Ability being cast) Equal to Devour Magic (Neutral Hostile)
                (Ability being cast) Equal to Purge
                (Ability being cast) Equal to Purge
                (Ability being cast) Equal to Purge (Neutral Hostile)
                (Ability being cast) Equal to Item Chain Dispel
                (Ability being cast) Equal to Item Dispel
                (Ability being cast) Equal to Item Purge (1)
                (Ability being cast) Equal to Item Purge (2)
                (Ability being cast) Equal to Item Purge (3)
                (Ability being cast) Equal to Ray of Disruption
    Actions
        If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
            If - Conditions
                CTargetUnit Equal to (Target unit of ability being cast)
            Then - Actions
                Trigger - Turn on Spirit Link
            Else - Actions
                Do nothing
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

I'm not all too familiar with the trigger editor, but isn't it a possibility that this may make it require the mana it would take to cast that spell used again? Or does it just kind of.. Appear and therefore making my concern void.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
Xenon
Zerg Queen's Nest Slave Trainee

Post by Xenon »

For this kind of thing, you usually want to create an invisible and intangible (with Locust ability) dummy unit to cast the spell anyway, so as to avoid interrupting the actions of normal units. For non-channeling spells that can't kill, it's less laggy to have a single dummy caster that you can move around and use for each cast (and refresh its mana as necessary), since you avoid creating and removing units all the time.

There's also a boolean comparison that checks if the unit has a specific buff. Use it to avoid pointless re-casting.

You can set the Spirit Link's spell steal priority to 0 but I'm guessing it still can be stolen.
Blake

Post by Blake »

Lavarinth wrote: I'm not all too familiar with the trigger editor, but isn't it a possibility that this may make it require the mana it would take to cast that spell used again? Or does it just kind of.. Appear and therefore making my concern void.
If the spell requires mana, then mana will be used, however if the ability is edited to use up no mana, then no mana will be used up...
Blake

Post by Blake »

Xenon wrote: For this kind of thing, you usually want to create an invisible and intangible (with Locust ability) dummy unit to cast the spell anyway, so as to avoid interrupting the actions of normal units. For non-channeling spells that can't kill, it's less laggy to have a single dummy caster that you can move around and use for each cast (and refresh its mana as necessary), since you avoid creating and removing units all the time.

There's also a boolean comparison that checks if the unit has a specific buff. Use it to avoid pointless re-casting.

You can set the Spirit Link's spell steal priority to 0 but I'm guessing it still can be stolen.
I've got the dummy caster all figured out, btw is it possible to edit the locus ability in the spell editor? (I can give the ability to a unit, but I can't seem to find it in the spell editor in order to try to alter it...)

Thanks for mentioning the boolean comparison, I didn't know it even existed so I tried to do things an alternative way....

Now here's how I made the new trigger:

Spirit Link Buff Check
    Events
        Time - Every 0.50 seconds of game time
    Conditions
        ((SLUnit is alive) Equal to True) and ((SLUnit has buff Spirit Link) Equal to False)
    Actions
        Trigger - Run Recast Spirit Link (ignoring conditions)
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

No, forget the dummy caster. There's an item called Rune of Spirit Link that does an AOE Spirit Link to whoever picks up the item. All you have to do is create the item for one of the units (they have to be able to use Power-Ups, however).

With the dummy caster method the dummy unit also gets affected by the Spirit Link.
-- Razorclaw X
Creator of Wanderers of Sorceria and Vision of the Future
Blake

Post by Blake »

RazorclawX wrote: No, forget the dummy caster. There's an item called Rune of Spirit Link that does an AOE Spirit Link to whoever picks up the item. All you have to do is create the item for one of the units (they have to be able to use Power-Ups, however).

With the dummy caster method the dummy unit also gets affected by the Spirit Link.
I thought of that beforehand and gave the dummy unit spell-immunity, but thanks for letting me know about the spirit link item.
Last edited by Blake on Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xenon

Post by Xenon »

I haven't tried it with Spirit link but in my experience a unit with Locust cannot be targeted or hit with anything. Locust also doesn't appear in the editor for editing, but I also doubt Locust has anything worth editing. Basically what it does it make a unit unclickable, untargetable, completely invulnerable, prevents it from appearing on the minimap and allows special Locust Swarm AI if it was spawned by that ability.

I thought I remembered that giving powerups to units didn't work when the unit was currently stunned, but I could be wrong...
Mucky
Protoss Khalai Missionary
Protoss Khalai Missionary

Post by Mucky »

I'm pretty sure it's impossible for units with Locust to be targeted by spirit link. Even if it is possible though, you can modify spirit link to target "Not Self". And if that doesn't work, give the dummy unit 1 HP and -1 HP regeneration (it will have enough time to cast the spell), so it'll have no tangible effect on the real units.

The problem with recasting spirit link is that the bounce can hit units that previously didn't have the buff. An undispelable spirit link is probably best achieved by completely triggering its effects, since triggered spells cannot be dispelled (or blocked, for that matter) unless specifically coded to behave that way.