Satyr Saturday Replays Week 71 and up

Mucky
Protoss Khalai Missionary

Re: Satyr Saturday Replays Week 71 and up

Post by Mucky »

Oh TGS and CFA, how I've missed you so.

Let's talk about how the things I've always wanted to do in these maps are impossible in WC3.

And also about how these things are possible in SC2, but I have no motivation to work in GalaxyEdit.

brb drinking myself into a stupor
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

Mucky wrote:Let's talk about how the things I've always wanted to do in these maps are impossible in WC3.
Such as?

Although due to how it is much simpler to do unit/spell-related work in WC3 compared to SC2, I would say that WC3 is still a very good candidate for making new custom maps. Especially simple ones. Even more if it's to avoid censorship-related issues.

I am still poking on a new SC2 map on my side but can't give an ETA. Most of my potential ideas tend to be mostly just possible in SC2 compared to WC3 usually due requiring interface/dialog stuff.
Mucky

Post by Mucky »

If you remember the old CFA version where I tried to have individual skill shops for each hero, I ended up having to scrap that concept because of massive buff conflicts. I found out the fun way that buffs of the same spell overwrite eachother even if they have a different buff ID.

Also, partial silences. I've always wanted to make abilities that were exempt from silences. You'll notice certain spells in CFA, such as the Torrasque's Gore and Devour, are set as "Physical" abilities and they become disabled when he's banished, but his other abilities aren't affected. Unfortunately, silence is hard-coded to affect all spells.

Both of these things are, surprisingly, really easy to do in SC2. Behaviors are flexible enough to only silence specific spells, and while a TGS-like skill system would be annoying as fuck to do, a simpler version where a hero chooses from 15 or so abilities is reasonable.

Maybe I should just make CFA for SC2. It will have to do without Rexxar and Furion, though.
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

Mucky wrote:If you remember the old CFA version where I tried to have individual skill shops for each hero, I ended up having to scrap that concept because of massive buff conflicts. I found out the fun way that buffs of the same spell overwrite eachother even if they have a different buff ID.
Odd, thought WC3 was okay in that department as long you have a clearly different buff AND you ensure the buff's named ID is different. Otherwise, that specific issue could happen.
Maybe I should just make CFA for SC2. It will have to do without Rexxar and Furion, though.
Quite frankly, probably so. Since you know SC2's situation in terms of mapmaking, just try to make it fairly simple at first without trying to make it grandiose (ex : avoid heroes with tons of skills). You can always improve it over and over with time.

It doesn't even have to be heroes (considering that heroes in sc2 are harder to do mechanic-wise than in wc3). Some triggered ability gain + buff system could be a lot simpler on non-heroes.

One advantage is you have a clearly higher map limit in terms of file size so you can potentially import a ton of retarded stuff if you want it to (up to 100 MB total if you use all your space in mod dependencies). Clearly you could import Rexxar's and Furion's voices (or even have modified ones), wicked images (on dialogs) and such.

There is always the censorship issue but it seems they calmed down in general.
Mucky

Post by Mucky »

Ricky_Honejasi wrote:There is always the censorship issue but it seems they calmed down in general.
My plan is to use so many euphemisms and puns that Blizzard will regret ever implementing a censor.
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

Mucky wrote:My plan is to use so many euphemisms and puns that Blizzard will regret ever implementing a censor.
Oh dear ... that will be interesting to see.

Also, I guess I am up to voice some stuff for your map if you want me to.
Mucky

Post by Mucky »

Eh, don't waste your efforts just yet.
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

So due to some real-life stuff, I won't be present for this upcoming SS on July 7th.
Vetraeus
Terran Goliath Dome Polisher
Terran Goliath Dome Polisher

Post by Vetraeus »

I vote Mesk for presentee. I wonder how far that would go.
Do not argue with an idiot; He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

As far I understand, Blizzard will make their servers offline on Tuesday July 31th to adapt their servers for the official patch 1.5.

So unless SC2's patch 1.5 still got horrible issues (servers not being up or endless disconnections, etc.) when it comes for next Saturday, the SS (War3) event is closed again in favor of only FFS (SC2) every week.

Quite frankly, we simply lacked people for many SS events. It becomes a very good time to put it down.
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

Mostly posted as a "flash of the past into the present".

NOTE : I thought Mucky made Waht? for Warcraft 3 but didn't although I was 100% convinced that he did made it back then. Still a homage to a simple yet fun map we did play quite a few times during the Satyr Saturday events for Warcraft 3 back then.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B26-Ns7hemc[/youtube]
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

Next week (May 16th 2015) will be a small special return of the Satyr Saturday event for Warcraft 3.

Depending on how it goes, it's possible I go 1/2 SC2 and 1/2 WC3 events. At the most extreme, maybe even a full switch to the WC3 event for at least a while.

Remainders.

Server : USWest (not USEast)
Channel : op tpcnet
Saturday May 16th at 9 PM GMT-5.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

The best part about that was making sc2 kids upset.
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

Well when I went online at 9:00 to 9:10 PM or so, there was like nobody on SC2. Then again, I *did* warn that it was going to switch to WC3 for that night.

However, my #1 issue is the huge latency delay that we had last SS.

So far my observations :
1) It seems the delay was 1000-3000 ms when I hosted. Myself I had like 300-500 ms as the host during SS.
2) I noticed said delay when Shadowflare was the host. Not 100% sure what was others' latency between Shadowflare and them.
3) When I tried a public game, I had a latency of more or less 200-400 ms.
4) When I tried to host a game with only Mesk in, Mesk did seem to have 1000-3000 ms regardless if we did it on USWest or USEast. To note that Mesk was part of SS games in the off chance that he is the cause instead of me.
5) With my tests with Mesk, it didn't matter if I used my old router or my newer router. Both with only port forwarding.
6) There weren't said issues in my SC2/FFS events although I think B.net 2.0 serves more as an server in-game-wise compared to WC3's B.net 1.0.
7) I am still uncertain if a newer minor WC3 patch might have screwed up the netcode by accident.

Things I could still try to do :
A) Test with others, especially with others that can host WC3 games.
B) Try temporally with router's DMZ instead of port forwarding but it shouldn't change anything.
C) Put WC3's ports in high priority on my router which it can allow that.
D) Update my router's firmware although I always have the impression that updating might make things worse.
E) Try using LAN emulation software and see if it helps matter. I just don't remember the name of the one we used back then.
F) Other stuff I could think later.
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

Also before I forget :

I have decided that it will be rotating between SC2 and WC3 week after week.

Thus 1 week being SC2, the next being WC3 then the next being SC2, etc.