Dark Swarm (working title)

(December 27th, 2007 - March 24, 2008)
Thalraxal
Protoss Stargate Concierge

Re: Dark Swarm (working title)

Post by Thalraxal »

Oh, man.  It's been so long since I last saw portraits and sounds distributed the old fashioned way. 

I compiled them into a SEMPQ for my own convenience (the old fashioned way interferes with other mods).  If you want I could post it up here.
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Legion »

Yeah! Send it to me through gmail (bj.van.lindert@gmail.com) so I can upload it! Thanks!
Thalraxal

Post by Thalraxal »

Gmail doesn't seem to like .exes at all.  I know my Gmail account won't let me send them, but my Yahoo account is telling me that it hasn't been received, and short experimentation between my Yahoo and Gmail accounts confirm this. :(

Oh, well.  I've got it attached to this post.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Legion »

Thanks! I'll put it online and credit you! ;)

It's currently re-uploading as single zip package. Thanks a lot, Thal.
Last edited by Legion on Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thalraxal

Post by Thalraxal »

Happy to help!

Alright!  Here's my Bug Hunt and commentary!

Mission 1:
-It didn't load the next mission, I got a 'Cannot find next mission' error.

Mission 2:
-I got to the Grathax's prison and then... nothing.  Door wouldn't open, I couldn't find a switch.  Poked around in StarEdit to see what I was supposed to do: Your orders to Vail are for Player 6, while he's still under Player 5's control.

Mission 3:
-I advise changing the victory condition to 'destroy all buildings'.  I had to search the map for a single burrowed Zergling to finish.  Slightly annoying.

-My first reaction on seeing Mr. Unknown drop in was 'ZOMG!  It's The Oracle!".  An interesting character though, and definatly not The Oracle.  I am curious about the details of his origins and The Overmind's issues with him.

Mission 4:
-Didn't encounter any problems here!  The Data Disks were neat.

Mission 5:
-The Overmind is jerk!  :'(

So, what're your plans for the sequel?  ;D
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Dark Swarm Available For Download!

Post by Legion »

Thanks for running through it!
Thalraxal wrote: Happy to help!

Alright!  Here's my Bug Hunt and commentary!

Mission 1:
-It didn't load the next mission, I got a 'Cannot find next mission' error.
Think I fixed it. It was set to load mission2.scm, but mission2 became a scx later on. Thanks!
Thalraxal wrote: Mission 2:
-I got to the Grathax's prison and then... nothing.  Door wouldn't open, I couldn't find a switch.  Poked around in StarEdit to see what I was supposed to do: Your orders to Vail are for Player 6, while he's still under Player 5's control.
This screwup is the result of many attempts to get Vail to walk right. I think I got it now (at least it worked last time for me).
Thalraxal wrote: Mission 3:
-I advise changing the victory condition to 'destroy all buildings'.  I had to search the map for a single burrowed Zergling to finish.  Slightly annoying.
Did that. Had that initially, but then I wanted to make it more difficult since the mission really wasn't that hard. Oh well. Not the way to do it, I guess. ;)
Thalraxal wrote: -My first reaction on seeing Mr. Unknown drop in was 'ZOMG!  It's The Oracle!".  An interesting character though, and definatly not The Oracle.  I am curious about the details of his origins and The Overmind's issues with him.
Oh. Yeah, I was wondering for a second if people would think I'd be ripping off. I wasn't intending to create a second Oracle. I'll reveal more information about this character later. Iif people desire to know that is. ;)

Thalraxal wrote: Mission 4:
-Didn't encounter any problems here!  The Data Disks were neat.
I put a lot of effort into this one. Glad you liked it!
Thalraxal wrote: Mission 5:
-The Overmind is jerk!  :'(

So, what're your plans for the sequel?  ;D
I originally wanted this campaign to be 'just for fun', but there are some characters I really want to see again in a next project. I'll reveal more information later. :D

Thalraxal, I am glad you liked it. Thank you for fishing out these annoying bugs. I tried to get them all out, so it should be working now...

http://sc.campaigncreations.org/legion

edit: Sorry for the crap website, but I needed a place to host the stuff.... :-[
Last edited by Legion on Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Revan
Terran Dropship Flight Attendant
Terran Dropship Flight Attendant

Post by Revan »

That was good! I hope that you will continue it, though...it really seems like the story has been cut. I'm curious about that...well, oracle-guy. ;) I haven't found any bug that hasn't been listed already.
Signature can be found here.
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Legion »

Revan wrote: That was good! I hope that you will continue it, though...it really seems like the story has been cut. I'm curious about that...well, oracle-guy. ;) I haven't found any bug that hasn't been listed already.
Thanks! Yeah, the story _was_ cut due the fact that I didn't want this mini-campaign to be bigger than four maps (had to tie it up with a fifth), and because this mini-campaign was meant to be some sort of precursor, to 'set the stage' for things to come.

The bugs *should* be fixed by now. Lemme know if there's still something wrong. =)
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Dark Swarm Completed!

Post by Legion »

Just wanting to bump this, since it gets so little attention. :D
Marine
Protoss Dragoon Shooting Target

Post by Marine »

Oh heh, forgot all about that you completed it :P
Ill play it when I get the time to, looking forward to this one!
[img]http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/3600/zergsig5smallff5.png[/img]
The Oracle
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by The Oracle »

It's very rare to see a distributed work with polish.  Polish is a neat thing, let me explain.

It is fairly easy, with experience, to get a campaign to the 85% level in terms of presentation quality (layout, terrain, triggers working, sound quality) but pushing it up that extra 10-15% to the A/A+ level is very hard.  I think you did it with this and you should feel proud of that.

**I believe it was more my problem than the map but I could not get Grathax down the stairs after I rescued it.
You haven't lived until you've edited 5,000 recorded .mp3's of dialogue!
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Legion »

Thanks, man. Really appreciate it. I must say that it took me while to get this thing the way I wanted it (but god knows there's so many things I'd have done differently now...) and I am happy to receive this big a compliment from someone with a lot of experience crafting high quality material.

** The mission you're referring to you contains a lot of bugs like that. I play-tested it a few times, and I know it doesn't run smoothly but it...just runs... Grathax _should_ be able to walk down the stairs, I think. The whole 'prison upstairs' thing is something I'd leave out if I was making that map now. ;)
Last edited by Legion on Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Legion »

So, the contest ends in a few days. I just wanted to mention that I enjoyed making this little thing, and from what I've seen, there's a lot of great things still coming in the next few days. I'm really excited about some things, and I have a pretty clear idea about who I think should win. I think that ultimately, the fact that some many people are still producing quality material for this 10 year old game counts.

As for me, I'm working on a continuance of the Dark Swarm campaign, which will obviously not be part of the competition and will be released when it's done. :D

I appreciate the help and feedback I got from people on this board (as the King of Bugs, I really RELY on testers). Thanks to Lavarinth for this Starcraft revival, and thanks to Starcraft's unimaginably large fanbase for tagging along.

Anxiously awaiting monday March 24,

Legion
Marine

Post by Marine »

Well I havent played the whole campaign yet, but I did get a far part into it, and the best part I enjoyed besides the sweet gameplay, and story you had, but the voices they were really top notched. Great job!
[img]http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/3600/zergsig5smallff5.png[/img]
VDJ
Terran Academy Student (50k mineral debt)
Terran Academy Student (50k mineral debt)

Post by VDJ »

Just finished playing. Liked it, especially the voicing. The campaign did feel quite refreshing (e.g. the end of the 1st Mission and the arrival of Ghosts - a very nice touch), but I found some parts of the storyline slightly odd: I always thought the Zerg are the most cruel beings out there, which is why the phrase "friends" in the epilogue sounded a bit out of place (as well as the assumption that the Cerebrate could care for his minions). And also it seemed weird that instead of simply killing the Cerebrate the Overmind would leave him behind.

In the 4th Mission at the end of the second Data Disc transmission there is a typo: "I wish he we hadn't tried to open that door at all..."

Overall I had a great time playing your campaign, thank you.