5 years of public casting

The source for all things IskatuMesk and then some. From projects, to articles, and even Let's Plays- it's all here for the taking.

Moderator: IskatuMesk

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

5 years of public casting

Postby IskatuMesk » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:21 am

Looking back when I began regularly releasing videos that were publicly casted, it wasn't far-fetched to say I knew it probably wasn't going to go anywhere.

While I had produced several video series, including the original XXE, pre-dating Starcraft 2, it was Starcraft 2 that I made a real push into casting with. My casting voice was woefully unprepared for this huge task, and it wouldn't be for 3-4 years before I learned how to talk properly. The issue was that even though I had casted private productions and Developer videos prior, and had a huge amount of VA experience, I never actually talked in person. Outside of Ventrilo conversations I have nearly no contact with people at all. As to be expected, my casting style was one that all but the absolute few found unbearable.

The most prominent videos included the KHB series and an Age of Wonders 2 video that got a lot of traffic from Minecraft. The youtube channel hosting these and other productions has well over 1 million total views, though I've since hidden many of the high traffic videos to force the channel below 1 million views so I stop getting partnership PM's. Indeed, one of the critical flaws of my casting was attempting to appeal to a public at all. However, in doing so, I was able to gather a small, but devoted, group of followers who continue to lurk the LP thread to this day.

My biggest claim to fame is probably that, during Sc2's early days, I casted PainUser's replays (upon his request) and casted a replay MrBitter posted in TL blogs. Both of these people would move on to become renowned casters following my interactions with them. I wouldn't call it a stretch to say I inspired the both of them to try it for themselves. They had more likable voices and dedication to Sc2, so they kept with it while I stopped casting Sc2 pretty quickly.

Amongst the first LP's I casted were the WoL campaign (which was dreadfully badly done) and Darksiders. I soon acquired a capture card and added console games to my workload. It was about this time I began to realize how colossally inefficient youtube's compression is, and how badly it was bloating the file sizes for my videos. Videos on youtube can exceed 40% the size of my encodes, and will always be of a significantly lower quality. Without even getting into the numerous issues I received repeatedly complaints about, including youtube's extremely aggressive censorship and insane connection issues, and it was no surprise the advent of larger video projects demanded a dedicated host.

Dreamhost has its fair share of problems, including slow speeds and weird connectivity issues to the FTP, but it remains mostly active and doesn't seem to mind my growing library of videos amassing on its servers.

Making videos on the scale I created and with my inexperience never was easy, however. Console capturing in particular proved extremely troublesome, as just about every method to record the audio resulted in desyncing. In the case of Viking I had to manually resync the audio every minute or so of video. For games like Killzone 3 and Dante's Inferno, the desyncing was far more severe and the entire productions, despite being completed sans syncing and encoding, were scrapped. Many more games had ultra severe issues from recording - Alice: Madness Returns had tons of issues regarding my dying mic making fraps crash and otherwise killing my audio, Men of War had an immense number of corrupt videos, and few productions escaped some kind of audio problem, including background noise from my fans or windows constantly resetting mic volumes.

Without anything to learn off, every LP was a stepping stone in improving my pipeline, my audio processing settings, and learning more about not only producing videos but casting them. Over the years I developed a stronger voice with more stamina and better learned to vocalize my thoughts. I also learned a thing or two about games along the way to complement my existing knowledge, and have since built a glossary to point out several basic subjects I often discuss, and use extensive reviews to address other topics in length.

An audience exists exclusively for the reviews I produce because they are amongst the only of their kind. While several offers have been made for donations, and now more than ever I am hurting financially, I never will allow money to become involved with my work. My casting, my modding, and everything related has always been and always will be strictly non-profit. I don't believe that casting can ever be monetized in any extent, and I am strictly against things like advertisements, sub fees (e.g. twitch), and partnerships. It's a question of morals. While many offers have come by me, including from big companies like Curse, I have always given them the same response, if I justify them with a response at all: No.

The second it becomes about something other than doing it for yourself and strictly for yourself, that's the moment it becomes illegitimate.

I've considered selling resources, like homebrewed foley sound recordings and FumeFX texture sheets for particles in Unreal, but I lack the drive or motivation to even attempt doing something like that. I've just come to accept than I'm stuck in poverty and nothing about that can actually change. Face it. You're not really going to make money off of any of this shit. Don't worry about it. Stick to what you're doing and do it when you want, and if you don't want to, then don't do it. I've lived by that motto for my entire life and I'm not about to change it.

Speaking of modding, my casting delved deeper into development subjects at points, such as the MGEC series and dev videos. Unlike the LP's and reviews, however, there is actually no audience for those videos. I still produced them for self-documenting purposes, just to have something that succeeds me when I finally commit suicide. But I haven't produced any for a long time, and I'm still considering if I want to do it for the Unreal project. I think it might be kind of neat, but the Unreal project has such an astronomically low chance of ever reaching a playable demo, and solely due to my own incompetence and lack of drive, that it seems foolish to plan so far ahead.

I guess that leaves the Retribution Audiobook as being the only "successful" creative endeavor I've made since I started casting, and for a very long time predating it (2009 saw AO, but AO sucked).

The biggest failure of my casting has got to be Salvation. I think the biggest success was being able to cast at all after 2014. Being able to even talk into a mic again after going through such a dark time took a huge amount of energy. It takes everything I've got to hit the record button. To even start a game.

But that's what casting is to me. It's a little victory every time I manage to do it. I'm not consistent and there is still a lot of things I can improve, but having been able to do it at all has certainly been surprising to me, even though no one else will really "get" that.

So, here's to five years of public casting. May the future not be a rancid pile of trash, unlike half the games I've done.
Image~[Gameproc]~Image
Warning: dialogue contains politically incorrect content. Viewer rearsore may occur.

wibod
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper

Re: 5 years of public casting

Postby wibod » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:42 pm

No mention of AWP, into the trash it goes.

KnoutOut
Terran Goliath Dome Polisher
Terran Goliath Dome Polisher

Postby KnoutOut » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:02 pm

may it be so!

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:04 pm

wibod wrote:No mention of AWP, into the trash it goes.

That is where you keep the rest of your life, anyways!!!!!!
Image~[Gameproc]~Image
Warning: dialogue contains politically incorrect content. Viewer rearsore may occur.

mark_009_vn

Postby mark_009_vn » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:49 am

I for once enjoyed the AWPs... hearing you people in the background it makes me productive... :P

"I'm begging you, let me work!" - Osamu Tezuka

wibod

Postby wibod » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:59 pm

mark_009_vn wrote:

I for once enjoyed the AWPs... hearing you people in the background it makes me productive... :P

Maybe we'll record a new AWP soon, my schedule is less shit for a little bit, just need to stop dieing of throat cancer.

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:47 pm

you mean dodge every attempt right
Image~[Gameproc]~Image

wibod

Postby wibod » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:34 am

IskatuMesk wrote:you mean dodge every attempt right

That's the implication.

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:39 am

Check your transmasculine genderqueer privilege
Image~[Gameproc]~Image

Return to “The Doackendium”