Current Events + Project Stances

The source for all things IskatuMesk and then some. From projects, to articles, and even Let's Plays- it's all here for the taking.

Moderator: IskatuMesk

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Current Events + Project Stances

Postby IskatuMesk » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:32 am

Formalities more than anything.

Modding

- Armageddon Onslaught is now a private project. The mod has been removed from the FTP and I'll have Lavarinth remove the links from the main site when he's available. You can thank Black Dream or whatever his name is for stealing stuff without asking, and people keep telling me about this. Simply as a matter of respect, I think I'll draw the line here. I ask that anyone who still possesses it to not distribute it in any shape or form ever again. Good-bye, shitty mod.

- ITAS and co were removed from the FTP a while ago when Dreamhost complained about space, but I can't remember if I mentioned that or not. Well, now I'm mentioning it so you know. This means that the involved resources are no longer available. Don't ask for them. If you still possess them you may use them as long as the related stipulations regarding credit are given.

- Loladins of Legend: 2042 is now a Conceptual-only design. This means I'll build concepts and videos but not attempt the actual project. This will simply be a means of getting my ideas on paper. I am incapable of working on projects anymore, so I won't be trying to actually make it.

- I am no longer accepting voice acting requests from anyone besides currently established ties (Black Omega, mostly). I am not up to it anymore. I may open personal requests again in the future but probably not in 2012.

- Since no one used it, the model pack I released a while back has also been purged from the FTP to conserve space. A while ago a gentleman working on a Freelancer project asked for permission to use the first-generation Great Knight model, which I granted because he was a nice guy.

A few people from SEN have been making commission requests for models. I do not accept such offers. So, please stop asking. No, I will not make models for you, even if you offer me money.

Youtube

- Some material that has been subject to repeated bouts of stupid posts have been privatized to stem the flow of said stupid posts.

CC

- I haven't been up to doing a podcast for a long time and don't plan to do one for a long time. I don't really have anything to talk about and Lav is always AFK. If you have any suggestions for future topics feel free to make them, but pretty much no one says anything so I tend to wing it.

Summary

I have adopted a zero-tolerance policy in regards to distribution of material. I've always rewarded respect and courtesy, while frowned upon disrespect. I feel that keeping old, low-quality content like AO available only for vultures to pick apart at a whim is disrespectful not only to myself but to others around me. I can say or do nothing to discourage those who decide to take the specific hand-crafted material out of these projects and call them their own, but I can make it harder for others to do so in the future.

Like all projects at any point, AO was built for myself, and it, like all others, was a failure. With 2012 I prefer to start fresh and sweep all of the past misgivings under the rug and forget about them. I'm not going to worry about what has happened up to this point anymore. I believe that releasing any of my content publicly was a mistake to begin with, as they spoke poorly of my abilities and only opened route for abuse. Although I have been lenient on occassion, especially with polite people, I don't want to contend with bullshit of any kind in the future. I released what I felt was reasonable and made it available for public use; anyone who wanted that particular material possesses it by now, so I'm removing it to discourage the host from getting mad about unused files.

Meanwhile, I was taking or open to taking voice acting requests for staff. Only Laconius and on the rarest occassion, Lavarinth, took up these offers. Today I decide to close these offers because I am no longer strong enough to voice act. After review of Black Sun I don't feel I am fit for voice acting. My golden age is past, and it's time to move on.

Where to move on, exactly? That's the big question. One I don't have an answer to.
Image~[Gameproc]~Image
Warning: dialogue contains politically incorrect content. Viewer rearsore may occur.

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: Current Events + Project Stances

Postby IskatuMesk » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:39 pm

Current events! For the modern date, in that some are curious what's going on or what my plans are.

Modding

- Retribution is priority. Predicting 2015 release now, due to the extreme sloppiness in this year's work. I hope to create a sins-only trailer by winter this year.

- Apex revival is a consideration when Retribution is finished. Apex will be totally private if I do make it. Meaning not even a public FTP-only release. The entire design is in flux and there's no details I can offer that will stick, other than that it will be a super high difficulty B&D campaign. If you are a data editor/galaxy mastermind and would be willing to assist me in the very distant (year+) future in this, and can guaratee availability, let me know. This will ultimately determine if I ever actually consider this project viable - I need a strong, dedicated tutor.

- In the event that Apex is undecided or is not started or whatever happens, there are no other projects I will ever attempt. I will not be attempting a UDK game or anything of the sort because I don't have the skills for it. Retribution is effectively seen as the last of my projects, and Apex is just an idea I've been toying with for a long time but wouldn't be a serious project.

- I have abandoned documenting the Loladins of Legend 2042 GEC in favor of the MGEC video series. In time I will probably destroy all written material on this forum in regards to those project designs as they are incomplete and largely irrelevant.

Youtube

- Abandoned. Nothing will be uploaded to Youtube ever again except for possible Retribution trailers, but I might as well make those FTP-only as well. Youtube receives no updates or notices and will probably be deactivated in the near future. It is highly recommended to download any videos you want from that channel.

I was receiving business offers from Curse and other companies in recent times. Joke's on them. I don't do business.

MGEC

- In limbo due to exhaustion. I have one more modeling recording to process and that may be it for the entire series. No viewer interest means no production. At least not until other stuff is done.

- The Retribution developer series was discontinued as no one showed any interest in it and it would have been a lot of work for nothing. I'm better focusing on the actual project. About 7-8 major episodes were created that may never make it to public eyes, and some hundreds of hours of non-processed footage is recorded that will probably just be deleted. It depends how I feel later on, I guess. I might edit and preserve it just for myself, but no time soon.

Non-LP Video Projects

- The FME Recast is something I want to rebuild but I may have lost the videos in the drive failure. I have the files themselves (I think, anyways) but other videos I recovered were mangled beyond repair and it's possible these are also mangled. If that is the case, I will not pursue recovery and dump the entire idea. If they are proven to be recoverable, I may consider this project in 2014.

The Front Mission Evolved recast was a large-scale project to rebuild all of the cinematics in the game with custom story and characters in an extremely silly manner. I had produced about 15 minutes of completed video in 2010. This material all needs to be redone since my mic changed. Laconius is nowhere to be found for voice work, so I'd need a substitute black man voice.

- Coffee Hour, since it was a youtube status-oriented video series, was wholly abandoned.

- The XXE series awaits content, but I've been slowly amassing content from other sources in the meantime. I plan to make installments larger and more meaningful than the 15-20 minute spurts youtube got. Awaiting SR4 to go on sale for dirt cheap to record it; it's not worth release price, that's for sure. Still got some other footage HKS sent me.

CC

- No content to make podcasts with. All is totally silent in the CC front. I don't think anyone is actually serious about doing anything except for me. Of course, if Lavarinth wants to change that, by all means...

Summary

2013 was a rough year but I guess not as bad as 2012 or 2010. It was mostly spent doing nothing or working on Retribution. All other work suffered for a variety of reasons and, well, that's just the way the diarrhea flows down your legs.

I moved on from a lot of things that were going on this period and focused on two things - LP's and Retribution work. I didn't want to start Retribution despite a few half-hearted attempts during 2012, but I eventually hunkered down and decided I would give it my all and see how far I can get.

The majority of sins work for Retribution is done. Yes, around 3-4 dozen models remain, but the entire revision process and a lot of foundation work was done. A lot of things I wanted to do in Salvation are done. That said, the remaining work is the absolute toughest to do - the most challenging models, the most difficult sound effects, the extremely time consuming fine tuning and polish I didn't let Salvation get. I'm going to take it slow and easy.

Once the majority of model work and other outstanding bullshit is done, I'll turn to tackle the UDK.

2014 will be largely UDK learning. It will be the toughest thing I've ever done. The entire purpose of Retribution as a project was to get me into the UDK. All things in my head tell me right now that I won't be attempting another project. But if Retribution UDK works out in unexpected ways, it could open the door to new ventures. I just don't know, and I can't afford to think about it.

The absolute toughest part of the UDK will be the models yet again. Machinima is kind of a simple thing. Make stuff look good, move a camera, push record. I need stuff to make look good. The hardest will be character models, followed by a few very specific battle scenes. If I can't create either of those, the project dies then and there. This pressure, this uncertainty, is what is making Retribution slow down a lot. I was banking on someone I knew to fulfill the character models but when the time came for him to start figuring stuff out he didn't even try to start. So, it's all my responsibility, and I really just don't know how I am going to solve that.

Getting my thoughts out sometimes helps me consider what I am doing and why I am doing it.
Image~[Gameproc]~Image
Warning: dialogue contains politically incorrect content. Viewer rearsore may occur.

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Tue May 13, 2014 7:39 pm

More current events! A modern look at my workload and stances at a glance.

Modding

- Retribution is totally dead. Individuals who said they'd attempt character models never attempted them. I waited a year and a half to hear a peep about it. Only excuses and disinterest. Virtually of the work I put into it is a complete waste.

- UDK work for Retribution was started on and soon discontinued due to aforementioned issues. I learned some basic navigation, basic particles, basic camera control, and basic materials. Not enough to do anything with. It is extremely unlikely I will ever be able to make a game project given my lack of modeling and programming skills, so I've given up all hopes of trying anything further with tools like this. Good-bye, dreams of 2004.

- A private starcraft 2 project has been started in the stead of Retribution. The project is mostly serving as a test bed right now, but has potential to gain momentum if my real life issues can start to stabilize.

MGEC

- The Ret Dev series reached 26 episodes by the time of the project's death, with 19 test demos. The latter were made public. I don't know what I'll do with the former yet. Probably sit on them.

- The MGEC series in itself was totally discontinued and is very unlikely to ever see another addition. The Starcraft 2 project may take its place in delivering some concept and design videos, but mostly for documenting purposes and less about subject analysis. But we'll see what I do with it.

Non-LP Video Projects

- At a point I assessed my resources of the FME project and discovered I had lost all of the screen caps and other data I had made for it during its first phase. To make this project I'd effectively be redoing all of that tedious work all over again. I did find the source videos and I think they are ok. I won't rule it out, but it's not going to happen anytime in the foreseeable future.

- XXE continues seeing slow, but active releases on the LP thread like everything else. That series is doing ok.

CC

- I have no hope of seeing anyone besides me actually be active on this site staff roster again. Maybe RCX if he decides he wants to do something with sc2, but literally no one else has given a shit about doing anything for a very long time. I'm documenting my Sc2 ventures in the staff forum just in case someone is tickling the taint of the idea of trying something with it. Lavarinth has actively avoided every opportunity to do anything with a podcast, though admittedly we wouldn't have anything to talk about. I recommend listening to AWP if you want to hear about the game industry and its infinite stupidities, as well as some design-related subjects. I don't foresee another CC podcast being created, unless I can think of something relevant to the site to make a cast about. Even then, getting him to actually make a newspost and everything... wait this reminds me of SA back in the day. lol

Summary

Pneumonia followed by the cat's nonstop string of life-threatening eye issues have crippled my ability to produce the staggered content I was once able to force out. Despite this, I did manage to produce a few LP's so far. However, the uncertainty of the future, and the painful death of Retribution, makes 2014 one of the most troublesome years yet since 2006.
Image~[Gameproc]~Image

wibod
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper

Postby wibod » Tue May 13, 2014 10:33 pm

Shitposting in this thread:
-AWP should see more steady releases now that I have time and shit is actually being released, new console life cycle kind of made releases die for the first 6 months of 2014

Xvier1975
Terran Settler (Unemployed)

Postby Xvier1975 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:55 am

Where can I ever download this awesome mod of Starcraft??? PLS READ THIS POST FOR GOD'S SAKE?? The previous download links for this mod can't be accessed. I just knew about this mod last year. PLS.
Even thou people would dislike your mod. Even how people disrespect you... I.. I just am impressed. I just.. I knew what happened. My friends told me..about how people complained about you.. You one of my inspirations. Come on, pls don't give up IskatuMesk!!!! Cheer up!! Not all people hate you. I just, I just want to taste your Maestro. "Good-bye, shitty mod.". Come lil bro.Your great in editing things. Come on PPLLSS. "Like all projects at any point, AO was built for myself, and it, like all others, was a failure." A FAIL!!!!! SO IMPOSSIBLE!!! OH COME ON DON"T GIVE UP!!!!!. But if it is your way,... thy will be done!!
OH My name is N(pen name) and pls accept me as your close friend. Keep me updated on your awesome mods. I just knew you through my friends last last year.
Iam looking forward to be a game designer. So I need your help because your potentials are endless. I understand you. DONT GIVE UP!!!! I am just a single child and I live only with my grandparents.. Thus I'm lonely but never giving hope, I look for friends to mingle with... So, my line ends here. Don't give up and have a good day sir!!!

Xvier1975

Postby Xvier1975 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:57 am

I will pray for you to be a game designer, and I one of your assistants (whether I received your mod or not) (Im just too expecting) Sorry for my behavior. Have a good day sir!!!!!

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:49 am

This board does a shitty job of telling me there's posts awaiting approval. In fact, the only reason I found out about this was because I was curious who the hell you were after seeing a spam of posts on a 2009 TL blog. God damn, guy. Calm your tits.

Where can I ever download this awesome mod of Starcraft???

Couldn't even bother to read the forum, could you? Well, maybe you found it by now. If not, happy hunting.

about how people complained about you..

Ah, the streaming tears. Hearing that someone got butthurt about something that I said or did is the sweetest thing I've heard today.

Oh, I gave up. Sorry about that.

I don't want to be a game designer. I'm staying far the fuck away from every industry outlet.

Why do I always attract the creepy people...
Image~[Gameproc]~Image

Xvier1975

Postby Xvier1975 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:38 am

Im very sorry sir pls dont get mad at me. What makes you happy then?

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:43 am

expired tofu
Image~[Gameproc]~Image

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Wed May 13, 2015 3:44 am

Been about a year since I updated my project stances and current events. Also 9 years since the darkest day. Seems like a good time to flip the page.

Modding

- I no longer mod as of 2014. I am invested into actual game development, now. Apex F is dead because of unresolvable performance issues with the computer AI in starcraft 2. I may cover the project in a video later on. Until then, I released an extensive article discussing the project here. The script and writing for Apex F is being translated into my Unreal project.

- While Apex F is considered dead as a sc2 campaign, any major developments regarding AI may see its revival. This is very unlikely to happen, so don't get worked up about it.

MGEC

- Private Unreal dev videos are being created.

Non-LP Video Projects

- Currently, none. I am actively seeking potential routes for a Retribution revival to take. But I still would need both character models and a solution to the turret logistics to consider it a worthwhile investment.

- XXE and the ilk are dead in the water for now.

- No upcoming League releases can be foretold, due to the lack of people playing.

CC

- I will be rewriting most if not all of the articles I wrote for CC earlier. I have much better ways to articulate my thoughts, now that I've been doing reviews for years since I wrote those.

Hardware

- In late 2014 I used what tiny fragments of money I was able to scrounge up to acquire a secondary monitor and an isolation shield for my mic. The monitor is mostly for workflow purposes. The isolation shield was primarily for Retribution. In the beginning of 2014 I was poised to make an enormous hardware upgrade. Now I'll be lucky if I can upgrade any part of my hardware by 2016. The financial losses of 2014 have ruined me and any hopes for improving my environment further. I am owed thousands of dollars I will never see again and costs continue to mount that I cannot pay. One can only hope I don't have any more hardware failure like I seem prone to.

Summary

The Year of Hell was devastating to my work and plans for the future. I am starting off from scratch here in May 2015, as if 2014 never even happened. I want to go back and fix up some old things (articles, unfinished LP's) and I am looking to build a workflow and environment framework for extensive recording projects in the coming summer. I finally gave up on the fruitless ventures of sc2 and, despite the very promising work of Xenon, I am deciding to abandon modding for good. I no longer provide any support for any mods whatsoever other than existing ties. This stance may change if a revolution occurs in the sc2 AI world, but it seems like I was the sole person in the entire blizzard community who wanted to do it the right way.

I will consider voice acting for your project if it is demonstrably nearly completed or already fully released, and is non-profit, regardless of game or platform. Send me a PM or e-mail with commentated videos of your project and a letter detailing why I should involve myself.
Image~[Gameproc]~Image

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:20 am

Well, we're sort of at a crossroads now. So, now seems like a great time to add another page to the note of project stances, because there are some significant mindset changes behind my work now.

Content Creation

- I am withdrawing from experimenting with Unreal 4, at least for the time being. I haven't actually attempted to model anything in a year and a half and I don't plan to try again. I am also retiring from voice acting. I have two projects that may make use of my voice left on my roster - Nef's project, and another third party sc2 project. I suppose if Gradius needs something I would do that too, since I said I would. I offered to do voicing for the Nehilim creators on their new project, and they did say they wanted to make use of me, but said they would send information in 1-2 months from that period - 5-6 months ago. I'll assume they either forgot, the project died, or they couldn't find a role for me amidst a likely huge amount of submissions. Other than this I do not plan to practice VA any further and have no projects of my own that demand such work. If a pet project appears, like the FME cast, this will not be treated with any degree of quality control to preserve my time.

- I am considering trying to learn drawing more seriously if a large period of relatively calm living finally arrives. The idea would be to then translate those skills into rigging and animation, as well as organic modeling. I have to start small if I am to ever tackle these huge monsters in my lifetime.

MGEC

- I am sitting on 4 Unreal dev videos I might release in the future. No future developer video content will be created in the foreseeable future.

CC

- I am considering creating Unreal 4 marketplace content with HKS, such as my Foley SFX library and FumeFX particle textures, in the future and will use CC as a staging ground for such content if they are indeed created.

- I would like to translate the LP thread to a more malleable HTML directory akin to the HotS and League directories, but still containing the more broad range of information the thread currently employs. I don't know HTML and don't have the drive to learn it right now, but this may be a project for the distant future to attempt. Lavarinth has resisted every attempt I've made to get him to update the forum for the purpose of making managing and presenting the thread in a more clean manner, so I have to assume he has lost interest in CC given everything else he's avoided doing.

- I am considering trying to open up donations. Currently I do not have the means to do so, but I am researching how it is done and what is required. Donations would be treated completely independently of my work and only as a resource for the people who have offered to do so to be able to support me. This is being considered as a direct response to the cat crisis of August this year. Poverty almost killed her. I will not accept payment in return for any kind of work still, mostly because I know I won't be able to do it.

Hardware

- No money means no hardware. I need new headphones for starters and my computer has the rare CPU-related BSOD that is a bit scary. Currently I cannot even feed myself, so any kind of hardware resolution seems to be months if not years away.

Summary

The Year of Hell has turned into the Years of Hell with starvation and poverty accenting more disasters with the cat. However, staggered production has marked odd periods of the year and it seems we are entering a bit of breathing space for another swing at getting some casting work done.

After a great deal of thinking and repeated project failures, I've deemed myself unfit to pursue any nature of non-casting project creation. Since I am not an artist I cannot create the content I need to be able to create to see anything I want done actually get anywhere. The disaster of Retribution hangs heavily over me and speaks ill of all endeavors to follow in its shadow. Apex H and all related ventures are considered dead, and I will no longer be voice acting aside completing requests from the aforementioned sources. Once that is done, other than the odd pet project for something like the FME recast or the HPBDSM albums, I will consider my time as a voice actor completely over.

August of this year was the hardest month since we were evicted. The cat's melting ulcer and starvation capitalize a long-winding spiral downwards. I do not know how much more of this stress I can take, but I am at peace with the road ending here. I just want to make of the time what I can. Video work will be my sole focus for the coming months.
Image~[Gameproc]~Image

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:44 pm

A little update for 2016.

Content Creation

- Focus is video work.

- HKS managed to make major advancements in the AI for sc2, so Apex is considered active, if not very low priority. One developer video was released.

- I am working in private for several projects, several of which may pay, to secure money for our move.

CC

- Gameproc is 90% functional and serving as my content hub.

- Notified Lavarinth about the updated articles, so he'll update the ones on CC at some point.

- I plan to create educational videos or articles for introducing people to voice acting as it has been a very common thing I've tutored over the years.

Hardware

- No money means no hardware. All funds I possess right now are for potential emergencies and the likely insane move costs.

Summary

2016 is shaping up to be another bullshit year as my Grandmother is hellbent on pointlessly moving again. On one hand the place we're at is too expensive and is crippling her ability to pay the enormous debt she owes me, and we're starving off and on, but on the other hand there's no better place she'd be willing to move to (she refuses to leave Abbotsford). Other than that I have otherwise stabilized the Cat and living conditions to what extent I can. Granny's health has been in danger zone for the last 4 months from threatening liver problems to internal bleeding due to complications with her drugs. At any point the situation could go south, and there's no guarantee I will be able to continue casting or voice acting or even have internet after we move.

Nonetheless I am determined to keep working until I cannot work any longer.
Image~[Gameproc]~Image

Return to “The Doackendium”