[Loli] - Developer log #4 - 14/12/2007

The source for all things IskatuMesk and then some. From projects, to articles, and even Let's Plays- it's all here for the taking.

Moderator: IskatuMesk

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

[Loli] - Developer log #4 - 14/12/2007

Postby IskatuMesk » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:30 am

Today I made a great deal of progress in terms of terraining the first zone. I also quickly added in two new mobs - Gnomes with bows (goblins from IWD) and bats from diablo 1.

HKS also did some screwing around with skills and missiles and what he ended up with was a nova of purple bone spears that spawn huge masses of blood when they hit walls. They can also knock back dudes. Totally using this for the zone 1 boss.

Ultimately I ran across another arbitrary limit in the map editor - 1999 objects, and 70% of my map still needs to be detailed with torches and such. Additionally, the Champion Shaman object does absolutely nothing, and the "spawn champions" object doesn't seem to exist in the list anymore which was what I had used in KTD to spawn lots of champions at places. Gay.

Finding music for zones is going to be tough. I have tons of music that will suit boss zones (whenever I get around to making a dll hack that enables 200+ music...) but in normal zones you spend up to hours at a time exploring and fighting in, so the music needs to be long and age well. Intro from Freedom Fighters did well for zone 1, but now I am about to get ready to start enabling zone 2, which is going to need something new.

Plenty of God of War stuff will do for act 2, but not act1. Act1 is very dark and random, but mostly spooky and generally unsettling because of the terrain. So I need to find some epic but also something that fits the mood and ages very well. This is quite the challenge.

Oh, I mentioned a boss, didn't I?

Every zone of every act will have a boss. A strong boss. This is your way to tell if you are ready to move on to the next zone. Zones are huge. It'll take you several hours to clear Zone 1, the first area. Between that and the den of evil, you'll be around level 12 with plenty of items. There will also be optional zones of varying size. These optional zones will be significantly tougher.

But as an idea for how zone 1 and 2 will differ, the minimum monster level in 2 will be 10. There will be random Abominations that are level 30 and have appropriate stats, as well as casters and other things. Zone 1 has plenty of varied difficulty mobs, but it's only a valley of trials. Once you exit zone 1, you are about to enter the world of LoL. The gloves come off, and the time for true survival is at hand.

Zone 1 will introduce you to several important zone mechanics. First off, monsters aren't just randomly sprawled across the map. They have strongholds, they have Elite Fortesses (special parts of the zone that are much harder/more rewarding than easier areas), and there is special encounters and other secrets to find. There is also a massive variety of monsters, often including more rare but much tougher monsters you should learn to be wary of. Eventually these strong monsters will be given an Elite mark on their description so you know they are much stronger.

There is also often a lack of light. Many levels will be dark or pitch black. This means light radius actually has some value in Loli. Even if you don't have light radius, you can stick to roads and demon camps which are lit with their own devices - but you'll miss out if you don't explore into the wilderness and lest hospital areas. You could also accidently end up in a fortress and get railed by its defenses.

Connecting Zone 1 and Zone 2 will be a such bonus zone, a cave filled with Scavengers that possess the ability Molten Boulder. Typically these slow-moving rocks aren't terribly dangerous but in the close quarters of the cave you'd best be on your guard.

The boss of zone 1 defending this cave is High priest Saraak. Not only does he have the purple bone spear nova of doom, he'll have some other nasty abilities that'll introduce you to fighting this style of boss.

Additionally, the Lake of the Unbroken will return from KTD. The frozen lake, in other words. A cave filled with nasty defenses and casters that connects Zone 3 to Zone 4.

Beware, traveler...
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image~[Gameproc]~Image
Warning: dialogue contains politically incorrect content. Viewer rearsore may occur.

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: [Loli] - Developer log #4 - 14/12/2007

Postby IskatuMesk » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:10 am

Update

I started terrain on Zone 2. I omitted recycling the first leveltype in favor of making a second one so I add full unrestricted access to act5 tiles (specifically those of harrogath). With these and a bit of creativity I can make a whole city.

It seems Blizzard put a lot more effort into making the act5 town extra pretty. They hard-rendered shadows onto the majority of buildings and most of the doodads aren't individually tiled like in other zones. So it takes a bit of backdooring to get everything looking just right. But these, combined with the act1 cloister tiles, should yield a very interesting zone to fight in indeed.

I have added a third monster, a greasy little gnome. Later zones in a1 will feature knobby gnomes with pickaxes out for vengeance.
Image~[Gameproc]~Image
Warning: dialogue contains politically incorrect content. Viewer rearsore may occur.

Return to “The Doackendium”