[Loli] Developer Log #3 12/12/2007

The source for all things IskatuMesk and then some. From projects, to articles, and even Let's Plays- it's all here for the taking.

Moderator: IskatuMesk

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

[Loli] Developer Log #3 12/12/2007

Postby IskatuMesk » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:24 pm

Today I am brainstorming mob ideas along with experimenting with porting starcraft maps to diablo 2.

By using SCMdraft's export to image option, I can then use Tilemaker to create a ds1 and dt1 out of the starcraft maps. The dt1 (tile graphics) is nothing short of monstrous - a 256x256 map yielded a 71mb dt1 and that is wasting most of the ds1 space and even then the ds1 is only 154x154 size. That means that since the sc maps are at full resolution, a 250x250 d2 map is actually considerably larger than starcraft's equivelent.

But, by using SCMdraft's size option, it may be possible to make the map take up at least 70% of a 250x250 ds1. The only foreseeable problem is that it seems there is a limit to how many tiles the dt1 file can hold, and every tile is a dt1 tile as opposed to the map being created out of about 50-60 tiles it's made out of a few hundred. So a very large map, larger than 256x256 by a considerable amount, may not work because of the dt1 limit.

Monster ideas

Lolis  -

Lolis often look tame, but they can be ferocious when angered or looked at the wrong way! Watch out for Untamed Lolis, who are infectious like the black plague.

Disgruntled Postal Workers -

The once docile Postal Worker becomes enraged when his supply of coffee runs dry, and he turns into his true form - a hulking demon with a brain the size of a pea. It is very difficult to destroy postal workers with anything besides holy fire and fire in general.

Carriers -

Carriers will fly around and shoot a variety of projectiles at you. They are fairly durable and can fly over obstacles. Some Carriers will cast spells, like frozen orb, meteor, and custom spells.

Hyagoth Priests -

These are goatmen with an insatiable lust for blood. They love blood so much, in fact, that they built a number of facilities for the purpose of liquifying any matter of critters they can get their hands on and turning them into a fine paste which is drank from a champaign bottle. It isn't wise to disrupt the goat's drinking hours, because they are capable fighters and know a thing or two about throwing fireballs at people and negromancy.

Priests often service the Temples of a Darker Tomorrow and pray for Armageddon.

Hyagoth Serfs -

These are goatmen with an insatiable lust for blood. Unlike priests, all these guys really need to do in their life is bash in the faces of foreigners. Something they do quite well. With their fanatical nature, it is impossible to break the willpower of these fools.

Vermin -

Rats are annoying. But rats genetically engineered to swarm foreign creatures and eat them alive are quite a different story. Small, fuzzy and cute, these little critters will delightfully cover you in hugs and kisses with teeth ridden in disease and decay. Where one Vermin rests, another thirty lay in wait. They are especially dangerous in forested or abandoned areas where it is hard to see them moving in the shadows.

Don't ask how a creature the size of your hand can drop a weapon the size of a car. One of the NPC's in your new town will explain the process as one of his gossip texts.

Scavengers -

Among the simplest but not the least fearsome of demons are Scavengers. Armageddon uses them mostly for picking planets clean of biological matter but they make effective weapons of war as well. Lesser breeds often come in huge swarms and are fairly easy to dispatch alone, but advanced strains can not only drain life but channel energy into formidable attacks as well.

Abominations -

Abominations are constructed of bone from a variety of creatures. They are big, slow, very difficult to destroy, and they pack a huge wallop. Don't get too close to them unless you are very confident in your abilities, or you will die. Chances are you will die anyway because you overestimated your abilities because you're American and Americans do that quite a lot.

To be updated later today.
Image~[Gameproc]~Image
Warning: dialogue contains politically incorrect content. Viewer rearsore may occur.

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: [Loli] Developer Log #3 12/12/2007

Postby IskatuMesk » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:17 am

Update

I have added both the Loli and the Vermin complete with sounds.

HKS and I ran our first test run through the currently functional levels today.

Other than the general incompleteness I have achieved a near-KTD level of difficulty. It isn't too hard save the first few levels, but you need to pay attention, especially to boss stats. Mana burn is a killer.

The Den of Evil was way too easy though. Once I add more monsters I will rank up its difficulty to meet its intended level range (6-7).

It seems that damage and health are being calculated in weird ways. According to monstats, rats should have had a minimum of 25 health but it seems like they had a maximum of 10. Very weird. They did virtually no damage, either. I have implimented a change that will supposedly override this so now they'll use my default values. Either they'll be insanely powerful or really weak.

I am figuring out a little more about monstats and plan to re-introduce rare and powerful monsters into areas that have a lower chance to spawn than others. This will mainly apply to Abominations/ect who will be quite dangerous.
Image~[Gameproc]~Image
Warning: dialogue contains politically incorrect content. Viewer rearsore may occur.

Return to “The Doackendium”