[Loli] - Developer log #1 11/12/2007

The source for all things IskatuMesk and then some. From projects, to articles, and even Let's Plays- it's all here for the taking.

Moderator: IskatuMesk

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

[Loli] - Developer log #1 11/12/2007

Postby IskatuMesk » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:18 am

Today was the first day I started on this project. I had a lot of catching up to do. And not much time to do it.

It's 2am. The first real fruits of my success are now in my hands.

I converted Belhifet's room from IWD to the new act1 town, which will be a portal room of sorts, for Project Loli. For test purposes, I simply connected it to the Den of Evil (it won't stay that way).

The lore behind this chamber to worlds is that it is a portal facility held by a neutral-aligned demon/sage/insane dude, and the fools you'll be talking to will be his butt buddies. Currently the "town" only has 3 npcs - the healer/den of evil quest giver, the smith/repairer/hammer quest giver, and Warriv who is necessary to transport you to act2. When you free "cain", which will be the demon lord, he will be there too. The other NPC's will be scattered throughout the act, providing their respective services throughout. Most important will be Gheed's new alter-ego that will be hidden. He'll still provide trade and gamble options - with a more impressive stock then from town. But you've gotta find him. And kill everyone near him. There's also Kashya's new replacement, the one who'll give you fairly powerful hirelings. Gotta find her, too.

Any hints to where they'll be?

Look for heavily fortified areas.

Psst - don't let your hireling die too often. Fighting back to her at low levels will be hard.

This little hole is complete with custom NPC paths and the like. The tilemaker I used to convert the image of the crystal palace seems to have a rough time dealing with sharp edges like those on pillars and steps, but I'm not complaining. A couple things are blurry, but I mean, the game is 800x600. It will be blurry.

I ran into a lot of problems as to be expected. The first and foremost problem is that diablo 1.11b has a new error reporting system, one that provides no useful information whatsoever. Unlike 1.10 and bellow, which provide information that greatly helps you narrow down most problems. So to figure out these vague errors I had to use my 1.10 version of the game to figure them out. Then I played guessing games and found out my red portal I was trying to use as a gateway link was being a piss ant and my warp was being a retard.

All in all I spent about 4 hours on it. Not too bad. The town is fully functional and it's ready to be used. Next up, tomorrow, I am going to enable my first 250x250 map.

Ultimately I've already learned new things. perhaps the most important is that I can give monsters specific patrol routes. I don't know if they'll actually move outside of the "render" range, near the edge of the screen, though... worth a shot!
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image~[Gameproc]~Image
Warning: dialogue contains politically incorrect content. Viewer rearsore may occur.

Milldawg
Zerg Defiler Nutritionist
Zerg Defiler Nutritionist

Re: [Loli] - Developer log #1 11/12/2007

Postby Milldawg » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:25 am

Looks awesome.

But I hate the Dragon orbs.  Fuck you.

Meta
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: [Loli] - Developer log #1 11/12/2007

Postby Meta » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:16 am