Black Sun - Episode 1 Production Stills

The source for all things IskatuMesk and then some. From projects, to articles, and even Let's Plays- it's all here for the taking.

Moderator: IskatuMesk

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: Black Sun - Episode 1 Production Stills

Postby IskatuMesk » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:38 am

The entirety of the recordings for part 1 are finished. Barring any extras I may pick up along part 2, Part 1 is now entirely complete save CGI elements. I need one voice actor to do a few lines that I just sent her and then that's that.

The colossal amount of effort placed into these mere 15 minutes of video cannot be expressed in words. This project originated in Homeworld 2 years ago, and since early 2010 has seen much blood and testosterone to reach its current state of progress.

The battle does not end here, though. The other half of the project remains to be completed. With several Xy ships already ingame and fully complete, this may be one of the few projects I ever complete.

Image~[Gameproc]~Image
Warning: dialogue contains politically incorrect content. Viewer rearsore may occur.

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:14 am

Totally completed Anahn non-flagship lineup with the Sonsora and Missile Cruiser.

Image~[Gameproc]~Image
Warning: dialogue contains politically incorrect content. Viewer rearsore may occur.

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:11 pm

gonna eet u lol :3
Image~[Gameproc]~Image

Falchion
Zerg Broodling Dance Instructor
Location: Bragança Paulista, Brazil (Da most borin' place in the world)

Postby Falchion » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:45 am

The Blood Moon! It was a MUST in the Episode!
How I became a troll in a single post (And you can too!!! :D ): link

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:05 am

Actually, that's the Xy`Kranasha World Eater II.
Image~[Gameproc]~Image

Falchion
Location: Bragança Paulista, Brazil (Da most borin' place in the world)

Postby Falchion » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:12 am

Still it reminded me from that great ITAS/Iscript tutorial unit. Ah, the good old days...
How I became a troll in a single post (And you can too!!! :D ): link

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:42 pm

Though crippled, production continues.

- I have received the first test takes from the female VA for p1 which are promising.
- I have conducted yet another take of Adashim which is very likely to be final with some tweaks.
- And I have decided to re-record all existing material when the ingame material is 100% final.
Image~[Gameproc]~Image

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:01 am

It appears that upgrading my video card has caused the particle editor to cease functioning. All efforts to fix it have failed, ranging from basics compatibility bullshit to flat out reinstalling all of .net and directX. I can't get it to work on my laptop, either, though such a solution is rather unrealistic as it introduces a lot of cockadooky into my pipeline. That effort was last-ditch, and now Black Sun is completely dead in the water.

If I cannot fix this problem, Black Sun will never be finished. It seems likely the problem is because the editor simply doesn't support the new card in some strange manner, though it may still be some setting somewhere or some other issue that cropped up from the upgrade. I have covered everything I can think of, though.

Don't hold your breath. This is probably the project's last hurrah. I don't plan to start a UDK project afterwards anymore. I should have finished this by now, and I didn't. I was much too slow and much too lazy in getting simple, basic shit done. Now it's probably too late. Even if I somehow manage to pull out of this and finish Black Sun it will still likely be the last project of any nature I attempt. I doubt I will even pick up LP'ing again after this.

/e

I have a plan. A disgusting, horrible, awful, putrid, humiliating, crippling shit of a plan. And it's my only option if I want to see this finished.

I hate you Ropar.
Image~[Gameproc]~Image

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:01 am

I'LL SHOW YOU HOW GREAT I AM

/e

I parsed all of the Anahn muzzle flashes, making the flashes themselves less orangy and bright. This is truly the most horrible thing I have ever subjected myself to. The mouse is nearly unusable. God damnit.

/e 2

Teamview may just save this trainwreck.

/e 3

For my new muzzle flashes I am using BailKnight's TECH capital flashes as a basis instead of whatever I used before, which was probably the default of the same thing. Which looks like shit.

This is an idea of what the unedited versions look like, basically. My changes will include narrowing them, reducing the glow saturation, adding fire, removing those sparks, ect... and then I will customize further for each classification. Currently they have more of a homeworld 2 styled look.

I'm already partway through my revision process and they definitely look better. Bigger cannons will be harder, though. The BK-based muzzle flashes won't work for railcannons or any of the accelerator-based weaponry.

I also added the entire set of Large-type explosion sounds and such with two example animation rigs for the Leviathan and the Sonsora which are respectable, but need tweaking (I hate tweaking with the laptop, it took way too fucking long to get files into the game which would then just crash when it updated anyways, seriously, fuck indie developers who can't even make their dev exe update shit consistently), this should be much easier to complete using Teamview. I hope. It's not very fast about updating the screen.
Image~[Gameproc]~Image

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:55 pm

I am almost entirely complete my Anahn muzzle effect revision process and have put a significant dent in updating their other particles and sfx. With this in mind, I re-recorded the civil war portion of p1 and a significant chunk of the Lost Fleet portion. However, struggles with huge performance hits during fights lead me to become concerned about the lack of impact video power is having in this game. Either some sloppy donkey is going on in the game's code, or there is some swank shit mixing with vomit in the mod's data.

In either case, I am pushing on, putting every ounce of energy I have into getting this as close to finished as I can get each and every day.

The end is so close I can taste it...

Image~[Gameproc]~Image

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:37 am

I have discovered the cause of the particle editor's not workingness. It stopped working on the laptop magically, and this rose some red flags. At HKS' suggestion, I found and deleted a bunch of settings files I didn't even know existed. And it magically worked. On this computer.

The fucking thing corrupts its own settings. This is programming sloppiness on the scale of Camelot Sys and CV5. Except none of those corrupted themselves to the point that they fucking refused to start at complete random. That means this game, this tool, they exceed the programming stupidity of almost everything I have ever touched except for Magicka. Sorry, Stardock, you may be dumbfucks and unable to program basic shit but you'll NEVER fail as badly as Magicka does.

Well, back to work I suppose. I still have UD ships to model and none of them are particularly easy.

I'll probably never get AAC decoding to work the way it used to, though.
Image~[Gameproc]~Image

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:33 pm

I have gone through my second UD recording session I did a while ago (that I felt would need new ships to complete), but it actually turned out to be really good. As in, a lot better than what I was hoping for. Part 1's Undead recordings are virtually finished. Some minor stuff would need to be recorded to patch the holes... but nothing very significant.

That means the new UD ships I have created would become part 2 ships, meaning that another huge chunk of work (making new UD content to show) is already dealt with. This completes a significant portion of the project, or at least it will when I make sounds/SFX for the remaining incomplete Undead material. But, modelling-wise, the Undead are finished. Forever. Unless I manage to make the Incubus or update the Crusader, but the latter is child's play compared to the difficulty of the new stuff.

The Undead portion of Part 1 is the second final portion of part 1, followed by the Memory dialogue sequence - which has been finished for quite some time now. Other than CGI material, an extremely difficult to fill music slot, and some minor polishing, Part 1 is nearly totally finished. Part 2 in comparison is not going to be as hard to make. The hardest parts will be modeling Xy`Kranasha ships, and doing all of their ingame content. The latter is just time, but the former will surely prove to be a truly significant challenge. The rest of it, though.. voice acting... music... easy. I've already done all of Xul`Amon's takes.

I can feel the taste of victory on the tip of my tongue. I've only but reach out and take it. Black Sun... is nearing completion. At long last. My work is almost over.
Image~[Gameproc]~Image

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:27 pm

After recording a few final bits for the first part of the composition I revised a lot of the timings and music a bit further. Although it's still a distance from being finished, I want to wait for the arrival of CGI elements to put energy into closing it wholly. The ingame recordings are considered finished, though.

My attention turns to finishing the Undead race's major effects necessary for part 2 and, more importantly, the Xy`Kranasha.

The Xy`Kranasha underwent their first ingame vs test against both the Anahn and Undead last night, where I fixed some major issues and sharpened up their balancing numbers a fair bit. Today I hope for more of the same as I intend to finish another Xy ship I have nearly done and ready for the game. Then I can take another pass on the SFX and particles and start wondering what to model next.

A rough guess puts the Xy at 35-40% ready for beginning recording.

I learned a lot of new things when testing the Xy. The game ignores FormationRank when it comes to making Fleets (It will gladly give things with lowest priority the fleet lead instead of things with the highest priority, seems to be wholly random), and I learned that removing hangar defense doesn't seem to crash. Yay! No more 100+ idle fighters eating cpu in the background!

I also learned that the AI has many ways of being braindead retarded than I initially knew. :3!

I also learned that the game's default "criticalhit" (there are no crits in sins...?) and damage particle effects eat COLOSSAL amounts of particles. Additionally, the critical explosion sounds have insane falloffs and MAXIMUM PRIORITY. DOUBLE THAT OF ALL OTHER EFFECTS AND AS HIGH AS UI ELEMENTS. Needless to say, I became mishappy.
Image~[Gameproc]~Image

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:18 pm

Deepening my Xy testing and preparing to outline my phase 2 revision I made yet more silly discoveries with the AI. Of course, removing things like their bloody culture center resulted in immediate crashes, so I arbitrarily circumsized the research to unlock them instead.

However, it seems that logical fallacy of Planets X -> N -> B in which they do not assess threats between X and B also happens if they own both planets X and B and just want to get to each other. They totally ignore enemy presence in N and will happily piss away their entire fleet piece by piece. Yay!

I really don't know how the AI for a game that is unplayable in multiplayer made it into beta with so many ludicrous bugs, much less 2 expansions in and soon 3.

/e 1

Laid out an outline for p2 composition. Whether I'll stick to it is unknown, but it wasn't nearly as laid out as this before. I have a goal to strive to, now.
Image~[Gameproc]~Image

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:22 pm

Ingame material for Black Sun has completed production phase

Polishing to follow. If HKS is able to finish something up I gave him to do, I'll work on that and add it as well. But, otherwise, the big work like the Emperor is behind me. Two abilities remain to be copied and pasted and some sfx/particles polished up before recording. But, currently, ingame material is basically done.

This marks a tremendous moment in time. Four years have passed since Black Sun was first attempted as a Homeworld 2 mod. Now, its final incarnation as a emotive video piece is nearly complete.

Image~[Gameproc]~Image

Return to “The Doackendium”