Black Sun - Episode 1 Production Stills

The source for all things IskatuMesk and then some. From projects, to articles, and even Let's Plays- it's all here for the taking.

Moderator: IskatuMesk

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Black Sun - Episode 1 Production Stills

Postby IskatuMesk » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:57 am

Some production stills;

In my everlasting pursuit for perfection and quality, especially with the appearances of this project (to make up for being unable to skin), I am constantly revising the particles over and over and over. I have begun introducing animated textures into many particle systems and have a renewed understanding of how to make good-looking glows. Episode 1 will see a tremendous overhaul of all particle effects you have seen in Episode 0. Much of this work is already done and some of it can be seen in these shots.

^ Bloodstone Battlecruiser engaging a Champion with metalstorm cannons.

^ UD Ruin employing test configuration of its Torpedo graphics. Note the animated swirls around the beam drivers.

^ Screenshot taken, identifying an oversight in naming some of the Ruin's 70 hardpoints.

^ Taken amidst a very generic test death sequence to see how the scales look ingame. The death animation will be used for smaller ships than that shown. This system makes extensive usage of animated textures.

^ jpeg compression destroys this screenshot, taken of the BSBC's beam weaponry without being stacked into one spot like they were in Episode 0.

^ Iteration 1 (outdated now) hit effects of Flame Lance cannons. The beams themselves are to be changed in the future when I find a suitable texture.
Image~[Gameproc]~Image
Warning: dialogue contains politically incorrect content. Viewer rearsore may occur.

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: Black Sun - Episode 1 Production Stills

Postby IskatuMesk » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:17 am

The Bishop-class Battlecruiser

Image~[Gameproc]~Image
Warning: dialogue contains politically incorrect content. Viewer rearsore may occur.

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:55 pm

Testing recording configurations;

Image~[Gameproc]~Image

Eredalis
Terran Command Center Custodian

Postby Eredalis » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:54 pm

Sweet mother mercy...
Malkor, seriously: Where do you get the time for all this?

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:32 pm

Any hour I am awake is an hour worth investing into my work, be it Black Sun or something else. The problem is always focus.
Image~[Gameproc]~Image

Eredalis

Postby Eredalis » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:32 am

There is no doubt: That's the spirit, man.
Although you always say you work only for yourself, but I wonder if you have ever taken into account, that you can get a packet of money for such kind of work. I mean, some time ago you asked in a thread in general discussion about the reasons why people doing such stuff, with the affix that you wouldn't believe for a second it's only hobby. You may have your reasons, but it is fact, that there are not many people out there who have your extremly talented skills and your unflappable desire for perfection. Maybe time will someday change your perceptions, but every time I see the demonstrations of your work (Vids, Voices, Mods, etc.) I think to myself: This guy is soooo awesome! Why he hasn't not yet a job at Blizzard or suchlike? Or you create YOUR own game studio?!

Anyway, I have a question concerning Black Sun: Which game stands behind that project? It is StarCraft II or something else? Or something own? Keep up the awesome work...

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:00 am

A few days ago I turned down a commission offer from an indie game company that had PM'd me on deviantart. I would turn down Blizzard just as fast. I have no intention for working for someone else. This is what I do... I bring my dreams to life. Not someone else's dreams. Creating my own studio is extremely unrealistic. Create my own game... one day I will do that with the UDK. I have plans to pick up programming and start on a Loladins of Legend third-person RPG some day. If I ever completed it, it would never go public. Money has no meaning to me. I would rather work on my own projects.

As for Black Sun, the awful excuse of an engine it uses is Sins of a Solar Empire.
Image~[Gameproc]~Image

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:16 pm

Note to self - Game has hardcoded bs that overiddes entity files in the previously thought-to-be-computer-only Roletypes, specifically AntiModule. Weird, weird shit happens with this active.

The ship was unable to actually attack, but decided to repeatedly spam itself with attack orders anyway, targeting my ships of all things. wtf m8
Image~[Gameproc]~Image

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:56 am

Started working on engine glows for the Anahn since they have lacked them this entire time;

As engine glows are player colored, there is some more limitations involved with designing them but I am off to a good start. Can't really portray them too well in screen caps, though. You'll have to see the video to see their animations.
Image~[Gameproc]~Image

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:11 am

Work continues at a staggered pace but we are still on the road to Episode 1. A lot of difficulty encountered with vertex checksum errors, but I overcame them and continue to push forward.

Killer 11 (GreatGodSajuuk on this forum I believe) donated a simple fighter model I have since been hacking apart into various Anahn Chimera MK2 variants. I am not done yet, but here's a preview.

Episode 0 entirely lacked fighters, but Episode 1 will have both UD and AH fighters in all their hardcode-mangled glory.

Incidentally, the Spirestorm itself is just about finished.

Image~[Gameproc]~Image

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:02 pm

Working on effect particles, namely death effects. Screenshots don't really do these justice due to how animated they are, but they still look considerably better than the stock fireballs.

Image~[Gameproc]~Image

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:03 pm

Thy kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.
Image~[Gameproc]~Image

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:20 pm

"These... 'soldiers' are merely faceless vermin, my prince. They are not worth the breath of an official decree. I will dispose of them plainly."

Part 1 status -

The Anahn race nears completion. I have removed the Sonsora from the intended roster for the recordings. Simply because it will be too difficult a model to finish. I may be able to make the Emperor, though. But, currently, I have only the Carrier and related fighters to finish to complete the race, plus a few misc sound effects and particles.

Following this, I have some new Undead ships to conceive of, as well as a few UD fighters including the Blood Raven.

Following this I am ready to begin recording all Part 1 ingame material.

It reminds to be seen if Lav will be able to make the CGI material or not. If he can't, things become more complicated. I'll focus on part 2 before I attempt any CGI though.
Image~[Gameproc]~Image

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:19 pm

The first part of Black Sun: Episode 1 nears completion. Most of what remains is CGI-related stuff, a handful of extra recordings, and constant tweaking/editing. I have put the last week non-stop into recording and editing part 1 of the video, and it is shaping up quite well.

Attention turns to part 2, now, which will require Xy`Kranasha and the Undead to both be finished. While Xy`Kranasha do have a small presence in the mod data currently I will be revising all of that material completely.

Image~[Gameproc]~Image

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:32 pm

Part 2 begins production.

Image~[Gameproc]~Image

Return to “The Doackendium”