LP Update/Comment Thread

The source for all things IskatuMesk and then some. From projects, to articles, and even Let's Plays- it's all here for the taking.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: LP Update/Comment Thread

Post by IskatuMesk »

2 new D&D videos are now available - SSC-15 and a Siriel 1shot.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

A new video encoding related article is up.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

A new Coffee Hour is now available.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

A new D&D video is now available - the 4:30 dev commentary for Albion.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

3 new wow rant 2 videos - b-5 and c-7/8 are now available.
Revolta
Terran Nuclear Silo Safety Inspector
Terran Nuclear Silo Safety Inspector

Post by Revolta »

IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Golly! It's the end of 2018 and we're very far behind projections? For once, it makes sense.

2018 was the worst year since 2014. Between the housing disaster, the financial disasters, nonstop physical labor from someone who is in no shape to do physical labor, the worst summer in memory and unbearable anxiety attacks, what was supposed to be our best year since 2014 turned out to be a total trainwreck. No one's surprised.

In recent times, my Grandmother's driver's license was spontaneously cancelled without any prior notice whatsoever because the government was shipping everything to the wrong address. This is the third massive fuckup since summer, between declaring her dead in social insurance and withholding thousands of people's pensions for weeks after billing day. The squeeze is on, and the potential killing blow of the yearly term 2019 is on the horizon. It's been hard to keep a chin up and the pedal on the metal throughout the year, but we have, in fact, released more LP's than last year (3 vs 2). LP's are the release benchmark I go by, so technically we've done better this year.

We've done more than that, though! There's been innumerable compilations released, including Educational and Developer. More work was done in Unreal 4 than ever before, and landmark advancements were made in researching x264 encoding. We can produce the highest quality video possible with this codec. I also had the first disposable income in years, and was able to finally acquire an XLR microphone. Getting accustomed to it is still a work in progress, and I still need to do more adjustments to my processing, but my next major recordings (not Skyrim) will feature some such adjustments.

Behind the scene work has been at an all-time high since 2014. I've spent almost every day contributing at least in some part to video productions, be it slowly chipping away at the near thousand hours of video I've had to edit, researching encoding or audio, or verifying. Unfortunately, most of that work won't amount to a public release for quite a long time, but when it does it will be some of the most substantial releases I've ever made.

I've greenlighted a small Starcraft 2 campaign but it, along with many other things, will sit on the sidelines in a Low Priority shuffle that largely awaits the news of the yearly term. Amongst these low-priority side projects are two massive articles, one about D&D and one about gacha games, to be completed in 2019.

Mentally, I'm an absolute wreck and my physical health is past the breaking point. I'm 69% sure I suffer from severe sleep apnea and this chair has thoroughly destroyed my spine. I have, however, only spent a short time of the year sleeping on the floor, a remarkable improvement from 2017 and 2016.

That brings us to projections and plans for 2019.

Assuming all goes well, this is my current gameplan.

D&D

I have time constraints for work for my D&D projects, most of which are in Unreal 4. As I actively work on Unreal 4 and gain confidence in it I seek to explore my skills and potential with the toolset. It's always a long-distant desire to create an ARPG in it, but that is still only a dream. As it is, D&D work takes priority above all else. Related videos are secondary, but the Albion stuff usually gets processed pretty quick. Expect a Blood of the Moon developer recording in a month or so (maybe less, depends how often we play) along with related map assets. Once that game is dealt with I'll be shifting gears back to focusing very heavily on video work, since it will take time for SS to catch up to me.

Skyrimjob

A biblical disaster of a run intended to be an LP that has been reduced into a compilation. I originally recorded a 2 hour compilation discussing the mod aspect and testing, intending to release an unedited project in whole for it to co-exist with. Now, it seems unnecessary to release this side video altogether because the project as a whole is a many hours-long compilation discussing how Nexus is trash, modders are lazy, and Bethesda should be drawn and quartered, alongside enough bugs and oddities to make Sonic 2006 blush. I don't foresee actually finishing this run, but enough internal viewers seem to enjoy the videos that I might try to. We'll see. Either way, processing it is my absolute top priority and I'm nearly finished with what I've got.

Sonic 2006

Recorded years ago now, Schwa's opus magnum is a true masterpiece. This extensive, in-depth compilation gets into the nitty gritty of Sega's road to ruin, along with Blizzard's and others, exposing the sheer depth of incompetence the American industry gets away with each and every day. While 7 segments are currently finished or near finished I have scarcely begun this herculean editing project. I wanted it finished by now, but life always seems to find a way to keep a brother down.

It's worth noting that Schwa is also recording Shadow the Edgehog, too, and I'll yet get her to play Sonic Boom and Sonic Unleashed one of these days. I'll edit those in kind, but only when this project is finished.

WoW series 2

Second in priority to Sonic. I want to resume editing in January and maybe even resume recording by then. It'll probably extend to Battle for Ass for side C (not sure about A). Side B is nearly finished but the conclusion video needs a lot of research and content prepared to properly expose Blizzard's history, marketing strategies and explain certain concepts.

Mucky Dark Souls 3 Compilation

I said I'd process this dog-bark-dog world compilation years ago, and I feel pretty shitty that it has been this long without much work. It isn't as big a project as Sonic or Skyrim, so it has taken the backseat. That said, it's a top priority to tackle this sooner than later.

Seiken Densetsu 3

A requested run from Nefarius. One of the best RPG's ever created, but with a substantial learning curve. I'd normally save it for an "Ideal recording condition" like I am Castlevania 3 and others, but I've decided I'll try to start it sometime soon - likely January. The priority is lower than Skyrim, but once that run is settled either way I'll probably do my preliminary tests for this run. Should things go sour IRL I won't start it, though. I don't want to goof up this run like I did ff6.

DMC:DMC Compilation

Although short in runtime, HKS' stream of DMC:DMC is getting the Sonic 2006 treatment. The 1 segment produced great feedback from prospective DMC player Drunk Swede. A lower priority than the older projects, but nonetheless one to tackle in the near future once feasible.

XXE

I have 2-3 XXE's worth of content from recordings as old as 2013 and various HKS streams. They're low priority, but they're obliterating my drive space and I need them gone and dealt with.

Castovers

I'll probably think about knocking down some of the shorter castovers once I am in a consistent editing string again. Maybe Jan/Feb. I need to research what happened to some unprocessed recordings... I may still have them somewhere. A power outage killed a lot I had made a while back, though.

Starsworn Dev Commentaries

I'm over 30 sessions behind. The lowest of low priority, but I do want to catch up.

Scourge Project + Vendetta

Very low priority recordings to be considered when time, energy, and resources are available and other stuff like Skyrim or D&D aren't being actively worked on.

Guild Wars

I want to finish this before fully committing to the FF14 run. If 2019 turns out ok, I'll probably resume near Summer. Unlike most other games, this is one I can very easily jump in and out of because of my familiarity with the game. Of course, it will be treated secondary to the compilation projects. This and similar recordings are like flex recordings.

X-Blades

Dormant. I'll release the sole segment once I catch up to process it, probably post-Skyrim.

DMC3 VH Vergil

Dormant. I won't release the one video in all likelihood. It's nothing special besides 3 hours of dying to the same trash fight.

EDU

Dormant. Not returning to EDU for quite a long time. Maybe not in all of 2019. The main contributor to this is my lack of motor skills necessary to explain what I want to explain. A lack of subjects for other sections. I may do a Looking Back series for Retribution, though.

Side Projects

Far-flung distant side projects include Apex-J, a prototype conceptual alternative to the Apex campaign for Starcraft 2, and a compilation of Schwa swearing and dogs barking from her various D&D recordings. Like other pet projects, these are treated as the lowest of priority and only come up when convenient.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Graveyard releases for Divinity: Original Sin 2 and X-Blades are now available.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

If you use Sony Vegas, disable thumbnails.

They leak.

They're why tracking and playing videos doesn't work properly.
ArcCain
Terran Battlecruiser Janitor

Post by ArcCain »

Will you be playing DMC5?
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

I'll think about it.

I know for a fact it will be a colossal disaster on the level of lords of game testing but it will probably be stupid enough to be funny.
ArcCain

Post by ArcCain »

Really? You think it will be that bad?
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

I'm pretty sure it has QTE's and other nonsense judging by some footage I saw. At the very least, the boss design has regressed substantially and shows a lot of really bad platinum games influences.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

A new Coffee Hour and a 6 hour D&D video for Albion2 are up.
ArcCain

Post by ArcCain »

IskatuMesk wrote:I'm pretty sure it has QTE's and other nonsense judging by some footage I saw. At the very least, the boss design has regressed substantially and shows a lot of really bad platinum games influences.
The Golith Boss does look a bit too scripted, I agree, but the lead director has supposedly said that he hates QTE's so hopefully that is a low risk. He's also the guy that made DMC3, 4 and Dragon's Dogma.