LP Update/Comment Thread

The source for all things IskatuMesk and then some. From projects, to articles, and even Let's Plays- it's all here for the taking.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: LP Update/Comment Thread

Post by IskatuMesk »

Several of the older metroid titles are on an unlisted recommendation list I have access to. Rest assured, I plan to do them eventually.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

A new AWP is available.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

The League of Legends HTML file has been updated to reflect current releases.
ArcCain
Terran Battlecruiser Janitor
Terran Battlecruiser Janitor

Post by ArcCain »

In DMC3 you missed out on Vergil's secret ending, I guess you need to kill over 100 Devil's during the credits to unlock it. Maybe already told you this but I can´t remember. You can check it out on youtube either way.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

I remember someone saying that.

Anyways, I now have that new god of war game that came out a little while ago, but it's not terribly high on my priorities. I've also been made aware of a new castlevania game that was ported to PC from PS3 as well. So, there's still some ARPG's to do in the future (possibly next year at the agonizingly slow rate we're going at).

It is still hot as shit here, and I still don't really have much energy to do anything because of that, so progress on DMC4 is slow.

Behind the scenes we're slowly rounding up a bunch of pipeline-related stuff, like figuring out ideal platforms for recording Arcade games, so stuff is definitely shaping up for major recording. Just not quite yet. I'd rather hold off than put out subpar casting quality.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Curse didn't seem to get the memo about my utub being abandoned or read the "no business request" section. Well, it's just an automated message, anyways.

I'm going to be experimenting with some encode settings on Killzone 3 while I continue going through DMC4. Progress is slow, but there is progress. DMC4 and KZ3 will both have more mellow casts since I have been so exhausted these last long weeks.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

A new AWP is up.

I'm not touching casting until I am no longer exhausted. Everything is on indefinite hold until I know I'll have more energy than just one sitting.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

There will be no further League casts/FPVOD's produced as I have retired from the game for now. If, in the future, I pick it up again, or if I am given special requests, there may be rare updates. I will post if this is ever the case.

A new AWP is up.
nu1x
Terran Goliath Dome Polisher

Post by nu1x »

Bitcoins are not that bad, only retarded fans are bad.

There are sites like bitcoinstore.com and bitmit.net for used stuff, I bought an actual legit game with BTC (for Steam). (Unavailable in my countrys Steam store but can be transferred to me as a gift).

The worth of them is basically a social contract, and persistent transactions create a sort of "context" of monetary worth (as in, many people put their money in them, therefore they hold value, until the community agrees that it holds value - like real money (which also have no real backing, but that is another discussion)).

It was created as an answer to ridiculous big bank business practices, so the idea is an experiment to create something better. So far it was surprisinbgly robust and every cryptographic or infrastructure attack against them was unsuccessful. At least they do not bother people who do not use them (except for retarded fans, who ruin everything for everyone).
wibod
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper

Post by wibod »

nu1x wrote:The worth of them is basically a social contract, and persistent transactions create a sort of "context" of monetary worth (as in, many people put their money in them, therefore they hold value, until the community agrees that it holds value - like real money (which also have no real backing, but that is another discussion)).
Except real money is backed by various governments throughout the world and the value of that money is more or less derived from the economic value of that country. Coinage is also made from metals that have some real value. For the longest time real money was also supported by the value of gold and to some extent the value of currency is still based upon that standard.

Bitcoins are pretty much a micro economy bubble that booms and busts regularly since it isn't tied to anything with an agreed upon value. They're an interesting proof of concept, outside of that they're only really used for illegal things and people who want to go FUCK BIG GOVERNMENT IM OFF THE GRID.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

nu1x wrote:like real money (which also have no real backing, but that is another discussion)).
Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe real currency is based on actual physical objects and not just make-believe numbers that have value because a neckbeard says they do, right? I'm talking Gold, Silver...
(except for retarded fans, who ruin everything for everyone).
I don't think it's possible to ruin something that doesn't exist, but they do make themselves quite entertaining for others.
nu1x

Post by nu1x »

wibod wrote:
nu1x wrote:The worth of them is basically a social contract, and persistent transactions create a sort of "context" of monetary worth (as in, many people put their money in them, therefore they hold value, until the community agrees that it holds value - like real money (which also have no real backing, but that is another discussion)).
Except real money is backed by various governments throughout the world and the value of that money is more or less derived from the economic value of that country. Coinage is also made from metals that have some real value. For the longest time real money was also supported by the value of gold and to some extent the value of currency is still based upon that standard.

Bitcoins are pretty much a micro economy bubble that booms and busts regularly since it isn't tied to anything with an agreed upon value. They're an interesting proof of concept, outside of that they're only really used for illegal things and people who want to go FUCK BIG GOVERNMENT IM OFF THE GRID.
Pls don't ban :D

> supported by the value of gold and to some extent the value of currency is still based upon that standard.

Wrong, US (because of which economic shenanigans largely bitcoin was created) went totally off the gold standard in 1971, when US went off any gold or other material backing of its currency the dollar, becoming a total fiat currency. It was thus since. It is pretty much the point of why bitcoin was created (actually it was government resurrecting too big to fail banks, but it is connected).

> micro economy bubble

Totally correct.

> that booms and busts regularly

You decide -- http://bitcoincharts.com/charts/mtgoxUS ... 10zm2g25zv

Bitcoins are an exceptionally interesting and robust system, claimed to be made by an anonymous Japanese academic (but from what I gather, it hints design by a large number of people with huge interest to see it succceed, thus the impeccable design and thoughtfulness that baffles those who study it).

It is backed by the investment in the network of hashing machines (ASIC processors at this time), which although specialized (purely for SHA-256 hashing), have processing power that dwarfs top 500 supercomputers of the world all put together (it is now slightly more than 10 exaflops, or 10 times 10^18 Floating Point Operations Per Second).

Bitcoin market value is ~ 1 billion dorrar at the time (there are more than 11 million BTC in existence at the moment, quite easily exachangeable to cash - the infrastructure has improved drastically since old days). But the value of hashing hardware, and the innovation it drives, is more than that I would bet.

The days when majority of turnover was "drug trade" at silkroad, is long gone (this stuff moves lightning fast). People buy and sell normal stuff all over the world, and there will always be a portion of illicit trade, because it's part of human nature.

It is truly an interesting phenomenon.
wibod

Post by wibod »

nu1x wrote:
wibod wrote:

> supported by the value of gold and to some extent the value of currency is still based upon that standard.
Wrong, US (because of which economic shenanigans largely bitcoin was created) went totally off the gold standard in 1971, when US went off any gold or other material backing of its currency the dollar, becoming a total fiat currency. It was thus since. It is pretty much the point of why bitcoin was created (actually it was government resurrecting too big to fail banks, but it is connected).
I said that it was supported for the longest time not that it still is the main determinant, and that to some extent gold still determines the value of a countries currency indirectly. Large gold holdings are an indicator of wealth and serve as a separate/alternative store of value in the case of the dollar being greatly devalued. This acts as an assurance to people investing in the country/currency that their investments are relatively safe and those investments will drive up the value of the dollar. This happens with other commodities as well ie oil/natural gas/diamond reserves in that they serve as an indicator of health/value of an economy which will lead foreign/domestic investing decisions.

I'm of the impression that the US switched off the gold standard because they felt their economy would be more stable as a fiat currency because they were pretty much the economic centre of west and that their gold reserves would be better served as a store of value.
Jee-Host[gm]
Terran Missile Turret Rotary Tester
Terran Missile Turret Rotary Tester

Post by Jee-Host[gm] »

wibod wrote:I said that it was supported for the longest time not that it still is the main determinant, and that to some extent gold still determines the value of a countries currency indirectly. Large gold holdings are an indicator of wealth and serve as a separate/alternative store of value in the case of the dollar being greatly devalued. This acts as an assurance to people investing in the country/currency that their investments are relatively safe and those investments will drive up the value of the dollar. This happens with other commodities as well ie oil/natural gas/diamond reserves in that they serve as an indicator of health/value of an economy which will lead foreign/domestic investing decisions.

I'm of the impression that the US switched off the gold standard because they felt their economy would be more stable as a fiat currency because they were pretty much the economic centre of west and that their gold reserves would be better served as a store of value.
I think it was rather the excuse for getting rid of gold standard instead of supposedly visionary economic measure. Fiat currency can only appear more stable than a commodity-backed one when you have an independent source of emission. And there was of course the Federal Reserve Bank which is neither federal (being private institution), nor a bank and doesn't have any reserve besides the 'printing press'. And all of that would have worked 'technically' if we factor out human element (aka corruption). And seeing how this same element was behind establishing the Fed - yeah... I mean - would anyone really willingly and openly say that - yeah, I do trust corporations to do the best for me because blah-blah-blah? And thus a good circle is established to basically feed banks doing gamble politics - and as in any gamble - there is only so much you can win - but house always wins. Governing+Stupidity=>Inflation. And Inflation doesn't change when you print more valueless dirty green pieces of paper to make the percentage look small.

But back to the point - the proper solution in a situation like today would be to try and turn cash into a hard value. And gold happens to be a mondo-stable commodity in that regard. There are other ways of course. I would suggest looking into theoretical economic models - it's not a rocket science - and leads to an understanding of an actual value of things. Bitcoins are quite questionable. Level of implementation is miniscule as compared to what it has to be to actually be able to tackle the economic storm.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Apparently this post was waiting for approval for a few days. I'd have gotten to it sooner, but the only way I even see if they're there is a little icon on the thread in the thread directory. Hyo hyo hyo.

The approval thing is only for your first post I think.