LP Update/Comment Thread

The source for all things IskatuMesk and then some. From projects, to articles, and even Let's Plays- it's all here for the taking.
KnoutOut
Terran Goliath Dome Polisher

Re: LP Update/Comment Thread

Post by KnoutOut »

oh my god, this sounds like the greatest adventure I have ever seen in my life! I will watch Shaft Shaman and Professor Snape get out of TIGHT situations with great haste!
KnoutOut

Post by KnoutOut »

... the face, ahahaha xD
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

We are once again looking at the possibility of switching to 10bit encodes. I believe the system has improved since last I looked (GoW3). Some analysis is showing some very interesting things.

In some cases, 10bit videos actually increase in size a little bit.

While bright reds don't have a significant differences, any images with contrasting colors (like motion blur of a dark object on bright background) result in dramatically different compression between 8bit and 10bit even in very high quality CRF (of 15, I normally use ~28). Another example is certain shadows appearing and compressing very differently. In one example, an entire ear disappears from a character because of 8bit.

So far, all tests yield that a switch to 10bit would benefit quality. I have no reason not to switch, since any players that don't support 10bit are not supported by my releases to begin with.

Meanwhile, 265 does not have as good compression (some aliasing issues) and actually can change some colors in some comparisons. I will not be using x265, at least not for a long time.

It has also been brought to my attention on a few cases that the current guide linked to for setting up video playing is kind of out of date and excessive for what is necessary to play all nature of modern videos, including 265 and 10bit. It is possible that HKS will set up an actual guide on setting up MPC with MadVR in the nearish future to address this.

I won't pursue 10bit encodes for any current projects like game testing or divinity, but future projects may likely see it at least attempted.

I've also cleaned up my general encode profile, if only because I lost all of my profiles and had to revert to old data and felt a strange difference between the quality/speed differences between Nef's profile and my own. As it turns out, I wasn't using Exhaustive ME, so I wasn't sure why the quality differences were so enormous. I will research the matter further and perform testing on my next encodes to assure improved results.
Revolta
Terran Nuclear Silo Safety Inspector

Post by Revolta »

I read on your blog that you watch competitive league, are you still playing actively or do you just cast and spectate?
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

I still play reasonably actively with a group of friends of friends. I don't solo queue or anything due to the community. I probably spectate more (I commonly verify video audio while spectating), and I don't cast nearly as much as I used to.
Revolta

Post by Revolta »

You should play with me :^)

edit
What's the new ventrilo server, or did you guys finally get modern and go to teamspeak?
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

We went modern and switched to Roger Wilco.

Do I know you?
Revolta

Post by Revolta »

No but Ive followed your blog and CC for a while
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

I see.

Traditionally, we don't give out our vent info anymore. Not after the many incidents. If you have a teenspeak server I might be bribed into it with candy or an unmarked white van if you have one.

As an aside, I'll be making some alterations to the outdated video guide on the LP thread, as HKS has written a new one and assembled some files and information for installing and setting up MPC/MadVR. This will make the switch to 10-bit playing capabilities painless for anyone who, for some reason, isn't already running that setup.

/edit

I have updated the thread. Notably, I have replaced the deprecated external link to MPC setup with a guide HKS wrote. I have also updated the main post slightly, cleaning up some redundant information, and noting that any future 10bit encodes will be tagged as such.

As one final warning, I really don't plan to make the slightest shred of effort to support non-standard video players, and 10bit is a feature that is most likely to not work on anything exceptionally unusual. If you haven't yet updated, now is the time to do so.

I have also removed the "possible LP considerations" or whatever it was called, though I haven't removed the yearly considerations. This is because my actual internal considerations is very significantly larger than that list and changes all the time, and there's no way to possibly express priorities in such a volatile library. Therefore, only yearly projections and this own thread's priorities will be updated.

While many suggestions do get made occasionally, I've always said the truth - I have a list as long as a black man's rudder and it's not likely I'll be getting through it all any year soon.
KnoutOut

Post by KnoutOut »

aww man, I remember when I was dubbed robo-hitler and the whole vent was awkwardly quiet the entire time, with attempts to stir up conversation only making the entire thing worse. I did want to return someday, to prove that robots have souls too, but maybe it's better that way.

Nice to hear that there is still a huge list of considerations to LP. Currently 2 hours into segment 1 of dragons dogma, this is gonna b gud.
Revolta

Post by Revolta »

Ill rent a van and find a server, gotta make a smurg on NA though
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

If you don't have 3 others then it's not worth the trouble. I really avoid pubbies period.
wibod
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper

Post by wibod »

Revolta wrote:No but Ive followed your blog and CC for a while
Normies fuck off REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

resident evil?
Revolta

Post by Revolta »

no silly it's 4chan :)!