LP Update/Comment Thread

The source for all things IskatuMesk and then some. From projects, to articles, and even Let's Plays- it's all here for the taking.
KnoutOut
Terran Goliath Dome Polisher

Re: LP Update/Comment Thread

Post by KnoutOut »

I think it's better that Mesk just misread it, the gravity of this pun hit me like a wrecking ball.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Pop culture references always infest indie games like blizzard throwaways.

Physx is one of those things that nvidia forces down people's throat with bribes, yeah.

/edit

I just realized I accidentally called the compilation for Hunted "The Revenge", whereas the old run with HKS was also called (in the file names) "The Revenge". So, there may be some confusion there. Oh well.

From seg5 thereon it will be referred to as TRTRcomp, which stands for The Revenge: THE REVENGE: The Compilation. There's no way anyone can confuse it now.
recalrico
Resigned! Suspect in Medic's Missing Undergarments scandal

Post by recalrico »

Watching the game testing LP. Really digging the ironic soundtrack placement. The hipsters would love this.
KnoutOut

Post by KnoutOut »

I'm having a HARD time trying to download your stuff since your most recent uploads. I don't know what is going on at the host, but my download speed for your files is most of the time completly bottlenecked, it takes 48 hours to download about one gig, and downloads that progress at normal speeds are prone to breaking. Did we destroy the servers?
nu1x

Post by nu1x »

Was no problems for me, snappy DL too about 15 mins for 1 file. Also, finished watching LoGT. Was amazing, sad to see you didn't muster the strength for DLC, and im really surprised to see LoGT2 in your 2015 consideration list. Also face it, that boss was nowhere near the bad that the end boss of Conan was. But it was still all, very generic. That fistfight with satan tho. Also, you need to try Biohazard 6, that game has some real nice crank action in it.

Also, that one crank, with faulty collision - I looked it up, and indeed, all people had problems with it, and to some it just did not work until they input very specific button presses (need internet to find that out), just for that crank, so this game HAS, indeed, at least one progression blocker bug.

Edit You have to love the cozy, enveloping hitboxes for character AND attacks too, which makes any attack hit you anywhere on screen.

Edit #2: I would understand the shilling for the game, IF the company would be "alive" and had any financial clout, which I suspect they do not really have. Also, I suspected astroturfing for the "user" reviews, BUT again, only big, moneyed organizations have enough clout to sponsor the shills.

So that only leaves the theory that they are well groomed, well indoctrinated cattle who is trained to like trash as a reflex, via magic of marketing mind control techniques. I can find no other explanation.
Last edited by nu1x on Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KnoutOut

Post by KnoutOut »

nu1x wrote:Was no problems for me, snappy DL too about 15 mins for 1 file.
hmm, I have inspected the issue further. the problem sits mainly in the very first file of the shanktarium series, as the ones following it are downloadable without further issues currently, as are the Lords of testing files. But I did encounter this problem while downloading the segments for lords of shadow numerous times before, it is very strange that specific files are unloadable while others at the same time work perfectly fine, which changes at random times ontop of it.
recalrico

Post by recalrico »

Seems dependent on where you are connecting from. I tried it from work once, and it was fast. At home it barely uses a fraction of the connection's potential speed.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

KnoutOut wrote:I'm having a HARD time trying to download your stuff since your most recent uploads. I don't know what is going on at the host, but my download speed for your files is most of the time completly bottlenecked, it takes 48 hours to download about one gig, and downloads that progress at normal speeds are prone to breaking. Did we destroy the servers?
Someone from Austria has reported progressively slower speeds over the years to the point of it becoming hysterical. My guess is the host (dreamhost) oversells like crazy, and since it's the American network, it just becomes more bloated every day. I also suspect they may be throttling certain connections, or unrelated nodes may be throttling connections from it.

In either case, we unfortunately can't do anything about it. I highly recommend using DTA so you can have multiple connections to the same file and bypass some of the throttling. Something to note is that as a Canadian, the only American connections I usually get more than 50kb/s from are steam and google's speedtest.net host.

The game > Konami is a pretty big publisher so I can see them buying shills easily. Besides, with Tor, a single shill can do the work of an entire army.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

While we're on the topic of PhysX, allow me to tell you just how annoying it is to try to actually make something use PhysX.

In 3ds max it should be as simple as applying the cloth modifier and assigning max distance values. That's what all the tutorials say. But, nope! The mesh does one of two things - nothing, or every face flips out independently.

PhysX requires the mesh to, and I quote, "have a skin modifier". I weighted it to two bones so it would follow the body around. Either this is insufficient, or the mesh itself has issues. I can't find any issues, so I painstakingly remodeled it from hand.

Nope! No change. Either flip out and summon the devil or do fuck all.

No info to be found whatsoever anywhere I've looked.

All my hate.

/edit

God damnit Blizzard UGH

/edit

After three days nonstop of work I finally figured out a whole bunch of shit.

So basically, if you have FBX set to Centimeters and Max set to Centimeters, it just arbitrarily scales everything upwards in the FBX anyways. Yay!

Combine this with the PhysX exporter offering no units options whatsoever and just assuming information from god knows where, and double yay! This consumed all of today in itself to discover. This produces countless weird as hell and virtually impossible to debug problems without putting two and two together that the physics mesh is not actually reading bone information for its position and scaling in some extremely weird manner. Sometimes a tiny skirt just floated out there somewhere, sometimes a full-sized one was just crumpled up into goff's anus instead. But reading the max distance mesh in UE4 was really telling it was reading incorrect info somewhere in its pipeline.

Bones either have meta data from being resized or Xform data that can never be purged. Cloth assigned to these bones will mysteriously flip its shit. HKS employed a tacticool method of just attaching a new bone to those bones. Seems to work. I learned a bit about weighting through this too.

Here's a sc2-alike doozy.

If you export your scene without T-pose, the physics mesh will assume the state of its MESH and not the BONE WEIGHTS, which can displace it if the unweighted mesh is displaced. So yeah, you need it manually aligned in the T-pose if anything.

I still haven't the faintest idea how collision works, but seeing as there is virtually no documentation whatsoever for such a massive part of the graphics side of the engine, consider this a warmup for troubleshooting.
recalrico

Post by recalrico »

I wonder what Patrick Stewart was thinking when the writers made him read "long and hard" and "stiffer" in the same paragraph.
KnoutOut

Post by KnoutOut »

I finished watching lords of testing. I have permanent rectal trauma now, but I am alive. Your review basically summarized everything. I am changed forever. My room too. Thinking about this game still triggers me into having strong urges to vomit. This game is not worth the CD that comes with it. It's not even worth the space on your harddrive. You were absolutly right however. It has to be seen, to be believed. And now I no longer have faith.

Jesus has abandoned me.

But I know no fear. Lords of testing 2 might be worse, but it is no reason to despair. It is a challenge, a challenge against humanity itself. And we will not waver!
Jee-Host[gm]
Terran Missile Turret Rotary Tester
Terran Missile Turret Rotary Tester

Post by Jee-Host[gm] »

So I've sat through that game...

The best thing about what I watched and probably what made it worthwhile was your cast. Nicely done all things considered. I've had quite some laughs and entertainment. Gaym itself is an absolute trash and I agree with some of the previous posters - maybe you should play some reasonably good game before denting into anything questionable.

P.S. If you do end up going to 3D Prince of Persia titles as you've mentioned, I'll say some things. As you can expect - starting from the very first title of the bunch games get progressively worse at least in some departments. However, iirc the core of the gameplay (which is parkour) somewhat holds throughout all 4 games that I happened to play in my time (it was like 2008 and prior). And yes - there are places where fixed camera can make one rage. Oh, and yeah - in the second game (Warrior Within) there are two possible endings (with different final boss) - it was really unexpected for me, considering the linear nature of such games.

But anyway, hope your mantrain will never stop, bro. I've grown to be sure in quality of your content. ;)
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Well, I'm pretty close to being finished with the Hunted cast with Schwa. We have one chapter left.

The compilation that is coming out of this is probably the most fucked up series of videos I've yet to produce. This is going to be a real treat for game testing scientists worldwide.

/edit

I have removed Assault Horizon from the 2015 considerations list. This is one western game I am not going to bother with. I would sooner start on Lords of Game Testing 2. I understand now why the unanimous hatred for this game exists.
KnoutOut

Post by KnoutOut »

I was really surprised to see that game in your to-do list to begin with. Once I saw the topgun-button, it died for me.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

I had only played a short demo a while ago and clearly forgot how bad it actually was. I was just expecting some overly bombastic Americanized arcade shooter with a weird occasional QTE thing in it. I didn't realize they basically made the entire game that.