The Mesk Blog - November 20 2009

The source for all things IskatuMesk and then some. From projects, to articles, and even Let's Plays- it's all here for the taking.

Moderator: IskatuMesk

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

The Mesk Blog - November 20 2009

Postby IskatuMesk » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:58 pm

Well shucks.

So, a while ago Magic told me that Dreamhost mailed him with a notice that someone with "A known hacker ip" logged into my SA FTP account. As a result, they changed the password. Fearing a security breach, I went around changing all of my passwords and virus scanning and what have you. I ended up changing my Paypal password twice in a row.

Incidentally, the next day, Paypal sends me an e-mail that my account is locked down and I need to verify my location. This drums down to them sending me an automated call that tells me numbers I then input on their website. Presto.

Problem: Paypal's site thinks my phone number is a cell phone number. I have never owned a cell phone and never will. It's a land number, obviously. But the site doesn't think so. After several hours of swearing, discovering they have no toll-free or Canadian number I can call without raping our phone bill (Unless I was a Premium or Business user...), I throw them an e-mail. A day later, I get an e-mail that my service is appreciated blah blah my e-mail has been forwarded blah blah.

Well that was almost a fucking week ago, now. I mean, it doesn't really matter if they take a while to respond, because I don't plan to buy anything...

... but in the off chance Canada Post finally finds that package that the seller refunded me for (Bahamut Sin) and throws it my way, obviously the seller will want to be paid again. Which I can't do because my account is locked down. Delightful!

I am not sure what to do. This is quite aggravating, because if I want to buy something I obviously need to use paypal, with the exception of Steam. I guess I'll just patiently wait another week and if they still don't respond, I'll send a second e-mail.

In other news, HKS and I finished our playthrough of Left 4 Dead 2 yesterday. So I may as well write a little review.

When I first heard about L4D2 I immediately thought "What the fuck, they JUST released the first one. Why isn't this an expansions?". I still don't know the logic behind that, other than money grabbing, but the thoughts of it just being the same old same old was immediately dispelled upon playing.

L4D2 is quite a different game. It's much more intense. Mobs come over twice as fast, more special infected spawn at a time (in doubles even, so two hunters may appear as opposed to just the usual stray hunter). The new infected can be quite annoying and deadly, especially the Charger if he doesn't just run into a wall in front of him; at one point, he charges through a corridor, grabs HKS, charges out, and bolts out into a street full of common infected. Jockeys, however, seem a little out of place. Only in very specific circumstances can they do anything useful. Usually they just run up and die, or latch onto someone and then die. They rarely ever get the chance to bring you anywhere interesting, namely because of the level design. The only time Jockeys ever threatened us was when I was surrounded by common infected and the bots were miles away, or the one time I got grabbed by one near a witch. Incidentally, even though the jockey died and I was RIGHT beside the witch, I never aggrod her (the bot did so instead). Smokers are far more accurate with their tongues now, and hunters/chargers seem to be able to hit you even if they aren't near you. This is pretty obvious in some of my video footage.

The Uncommon infected are kind of just gimmicks, except for the SWAT teams and clowns. The other two I saw (Mudmen and Construction Workers) don't seem to be anything special. They all still die just as quickly. Clowns can be a little scary because they always have tons of dudes with them, but it's great fun to corner them and melee them over and over (In fact, there's an achievement for doing that). The swat guys are fun because you can corner them and melee them over and over without them dying and irritate people like me.

There are five campaigns, but some only have four levels as opposed to the five in the first game's, while some still have five. This is probably to cut down playtime. For the most part, the levels aren't really any more difficult, until you run into the finalles and certain event points. One in particular spawns an infinite number of zombies from the safe room and forces you to plow through a corridor and courtyard to get to it. This may not seem hard, what with penetration weapons like the autosniper and desert eagle, but on Advanced there is so many fucking zombies and they just keep coming. This brings me to one of my major gripes about these games.

Every time a common infected hits you, it throws you camera all over the fucking place and it IMMEDIATELY stops you and prevents you from moving. It is so fucking annoying and retarded. So when a guy gets a Jockey on his head and you try to shoot it off, that one common infected behind you hitting you (They hit over twice as fast in 2) will make you unable to shoot the jockey, even with a shotgun. Speaking of common infected behind you, their AI is a little different in 2 and they always seem to get behind you. This gets irritating very fast, especially on the multitude of events and finalles that force you to move forward against endless hordes. Unless you pop an adrenaline and rush ahead of the swarm using a bile bomb, chances are you are going to die.

This a problem compounded when you aren't using a full human team, because the computer AI for the survivors is considerably worse in 2. Long gone are the days of hunters landing on you in the middle of your group and flying away before a single tick of damage goes by, often they run up to you and either watch or shoot at the ground, or they just continue on like nothing happens. Their accuracy is considerably worse, and many times I've seen them just stand there while they are getting attacked in melee and do nothing. A lot of the times they also don't pick up health kits, and they don't touch chest paddles at all. They also still don't pick up pipe bombs or molotovs, which is also fucking stupid since you often need to spam those at certain points and if it's just two of you like HKS and I, then you get fucked because you've only got two guys using the items. A few times we had to switch the difficulty back to normal because of stupid events or stupid bot AI (At one finalle, a tank duo is spawned and the bots just love to tank them (lol puns)). They also LOVE to stand in molotovs or spitter jizz.

On to the level design. Most of the levels are just the same old same old, with the exception of Heavy Rain, where you move to a point and then move back throughout the campaign. At one point you need to traverse through a lot of witches, a process rendered virtually impossible by the now braindead bot AI. The weather effects in this campaign are also probably the best I've ever seen in a game. Unfortunately, environmental effects is not a feature used anywhere else except for a small portion in the first campaign's first level I think.

The new weapons are great. Melee weapons are decidedly overpowered; with a katana or machete, you turn into a killing machine. Melee weapons do tremendous damage to tanks and other special infected, and don't have the exhaustion effect that utterly destroys traditional melee. Many of the events or finalles are render absolutely cheesily easy in certain parts simply by swinging wildly. The auto sniper is a welcomed addition, especially with its 30 round magazine. The weapons only bear slight differences from their vanilla counterparts in some aspects, mostly ammunition, with the exception of the auto sniper, desert eagle, and burst assault rifle (no idea what it's called). Weapons are also louder and have been tweaked a bit; they seem to be more powerful, but fire slower and reload slower. The 50cal, which replaces the minigun, is a lot different. It overheats VERY easily, and remains overheated for several minutes. But it disintegrates zombies, so I like it. I am not sure why the origins for the weapons are so close to the camera; it makes some of the weapons appear utterly monstrous in size, like the Desert Eagle, when they really aren't.

Overall, I like L4D2. But I still think it should have been an expansion. The new characters aren't nearly as iconic as the original crew, and this kind of ruins the ambiance for me. Their lines are hilarious, but it just doesn't feel the same. I'll miss Mucky spamming bill's "aaaaagh" and "ooooh no!" over and over again, and I'll miss Louis' "PEELZ HERE!!!" Valve tried to establish the new characters but it's clear that they were rushed and not nearly as well thought out as the originals.

I am not sure what to think about the ammo types. They don't really seem to make a big difference other than graphics. As for laser sights, some of our campaign runs never yielded even one laser sight pack, while others you'd only find the one. As ammo is more sparse and you tend to switch weapons a lot more, this seems a little superfluous.

Boomer bile is absolutely amazing. Throw it at a witch and watch her engage in a bloody cage match with common infected, or throw it at a tank and watch a Charger slam into him. It's also a great way to control those infinite zombie spawns; only a certain number of zombies can be active at once, so throw it somewhere and let them congregate around it and run to the objective.

In case you haven't noticed, CC finally launched our mp3 of the week thing. I harassed Lav for quite a while to get this worked out. I have a long list of candidates for the coming weeks, and I think you'll enjoy them. Everything from good old gaming classics to extremely rare but amazing gamerips.

Secret Project S is making very slow progress, since Laconius dragged us back into diablo 2. But it's moving.
Last edited by IskatuMesk on Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image~[Gameproc]~Image
Warning: dialogue contains politically incorrect content. Viewer rearsore may occur.

Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Re: The Mesk Blog - November 20 2009

Postby Lavarinth » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:50 am

MP3s of the Weeks Galore!
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:53 am

Granny is a firm believer that in 2012 we're all going to die. She also made a comment that Obama is probably the anti-christ.

And people wonder why I am always angry and inflamatory.
Image~[Gameproc]~Image
Warning: dialogue contains politically incorrect content. Viewer rearsore may occur.

FlyingHat
Terran Goliath Dome Polisher
Terran Goliath Dome Polisher

Postby FlyingHat » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:20 pm

IskatuMesk wrote:Granny is a firm believer that in 2012 we're all going to die. She also made a comment that Obama is probably the anti-christ.

Can you imagine the stuff she'll do in preparing for the apocalypse?
ImageImageImage

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:28 pm

I don't think she's going to do anything.

Which is a lot less counter-productive and will certainly serve to fuck us.
Image~[Gameproc]~Image

Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Postby Lavarinth » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:18 pm

Just create a hot air balloon like I'm going to.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:29 pm

A cat vomited on my robe.
Image~[Gameproc]~Image

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:20 pm

This doesn't quite warrant its own blog so I'll just post it here.

I walk out of my room. Granny is there with the small, gray, fluffy cat.

"I need your help." she says.

"Okay." I said. "Why?"

"He has shit all over him."

Great! So, since these persians have ridiculous amounts of hair, sometimes they make a mess. Well, this little fella had quite the mess. After a few seconds of trying to clip the hair off in futility, I came up with a brilliant idea.

"Why not just fill the tub with water and throw him into it over and over again?"

Cats hate water. Well, not Snowball; she was a stray and is fairly used to being wet. But not smokey. Oh no. He has never even touched water before.

But there we were, filling the tub with water. We didn't exactly throw him into a tub with water, we just sprayed him with the detachable spraying thingy. So there I was, holding his neck and front half down. There was no way he was getting away. Granny was calmly spraying him with a hundred little jets of water. He seemed pretty calm about it.

Then, suddenly, a rear foot reaches outwards as he curls up, and plants itself into the palm of my hand. Then tears through it. Every single nail reaps a bloody trench through my hand and some of my fingers. It hurt. A lot. His nails are like fucking razors. Try as he might, he couldn't get away from me anyway.

After his wash, I was left with a nicely bloodied, mangled hand. And he looked like a wet, drippy gray mop. Fortunately drying him wasn't as painful; I covered my arm and hand in a thick rag to make sure that wouldn't happen again.

Next time I'm using gloves.

I've been clawed by these cats so much. My chest and belly have bloody little scars. I've had my wrists slashed, the lengths of my arms cut up, even my face. All just from trying to comb them or cut their nails.
Image~[Gameproc]~Image

GreatGodSajuuk
Terran Science Facility Guinea Pig

Postby GreatGodSajuuk » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:34 am

And that is why I would never have a persian cat. My regular fat bastard never needs hair or nails cut.

UntamedLoli
Protoss Infested Terran (Unemployed)
Protoss Infested Terran (Unemployed)

Postby UntamedLoli » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:43 am

I think you mean Ragdoll.

GreatGodSajuuk

Postby GreatGodSajuuk » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:57 am

When he takes a spot on a chair in the kitchen he's prettymuch like that actually.

Fincen
Terran Settler (Unemployed)
Terran Settler (Unemployed)

Postby Fincen » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:48 am

IskatuMesk wrote:Granny is a firm believer that in 2012 we're all going to die. She also made a comment that Obama is probably the anti-christ.

And people wonder why I am always angry and inflamatory.

Angry people has some bad quality in their mind. Most of them are chain smoker. They should take e cigarette for their own benefit. I also a same kind of person and i am trying to get rid of making habit. Hope i will recover my bad habit.
Last edited by Fincen on Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:52 pm

ok
Image~[Gameproc]~Image

Mucky
Protoss Khalai Missionary
Protoss Khalai Missionary

Postby Mucky » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:29 am

> Posts: 1
> Joined: 09 Apr 2014
> necros 5 year old blog post to talk about their smoking habit

wibod
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper

Postby wibod » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:38 am

Mucky wrote:> Posts: 1
> Joined: 09 Apr 2014
> necros 5 year old blog post to talk about their smoking habit

That avatar and image combo are incredibly appropriate.

Return to “The Doackendium”