A blast to the past.

The source for all things IskatuMesk and then some. From projects, to articles, and even Let's Plays- it's all here for the taking.

Moderator: IskatuMesk

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

A blast to the past.

Postby IskatuMesk » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:24 pm

I started digging through my old folders and stuff again yesterday and had some horrible flashbacks about 7+ years ago. Let's drive down memory lane, shall we?

The oldest stuff I have is probably DarkPrimus' voices for an oldschool Zelconian ship in "Zelconian TC". That was one of my last major projects I had at AEN before a virus nuked it along with SYC I and some others on my old compaq. A really, really early version of the mod WAS released, but the near-complete version never made it out.

I have some stuff, including the actual mod, for SYC 2. My first major fleet conversion.

Anyone remember that mod? I called it Scorpycraft, but it was technically the second incarnation. The first was lost to the virus.

That mod was legendary for having a Skelmasha AI that would hang back for 30 minutes then pop out and rape EVERYONE in one swoop.

What about Khan the Destroyer? My early d2 conversion? The one that had a whole assload of map data done for it.

The earliest shot I have of KTD, the first map shot from the Corrupted Ruins (the new Blood Moor). It's dated late 2003.

It was also one of the first d2 mods ever to have completely custom made tiles, courtesy of WG. I lost most of them in the dreaded D drive crash.

This desktop image is dated January 2003. Those Skel-1 Skel-2 files ect on my desktop were created by DarkOMEN for Infantry Gunner. Infantry Gunner was created after SYC 2.

zMud is obviously a MUD I was helping build.

ME, also known as Middle Earth, was a short-lived wc3 project I attempted to duo-produce with Dreadnaught. Other than having a name that makes you think lotr, nothing about it was terribly special.

Wow, Kazaa. That brings back the memories.

Here's a desktop image from 2004 January, at the height of my music creation. My desktop is filled with music I've produced and some other stuff.

FirstClass was the client an online school used. They were supposed to teach me programming and other things (in 2004!). Instead, they disappeared off the face of the earth and completely broke all contact with me. I've yet to hear from them, even for them to pick up the hardware they gave me including a scanner and a digital camera. They are responsible in addition for buying the $300 Terratec sound card Maglok recommended me for hardware GSIF support, for composing music. They were also supposed to take it back at some point. lol

When Halo PC was around, I got to relive my glory days as a high-end player. I was definitely on the high-end spectrum in terms of skill in Halo PC/CE later on, but my strongest skill was flying the Banshee. I usually made people ragequit very often. I also recall HKS playing Halo on his TNT2 and causing the netcode to freak out and launch things into orbit.

The exact opposite occured when I played UT2004 with Doomstalker, who was a CAL player. Yeah, I got owned.

Early on, especially when SME was still largely playing the game, I was playing Halo on an Nvidia FX 5200, widely regarded as one of the shittiest cards in existence. It was painful. Then I upgraded to the legendary ATI 9800 pro and the rapefest began.

BoT:C. According to Plasmawrath, there was quite a following of players who played this mod at LAN groups where he was. The conversion was relatively short lived, but it introduced me to lygher_xero who I haven't seen for around a year or more now. Throughout the years Lygher_xero, an avid rhino modeler, constantly tried to get me into selling my horrible machinations online. But I've always modeled solely for myself and never anything else, and that'll never change.

Those two custom builds are ones he made. I had to manhandle renders he made with uneven backgrounds to get them into the game.

Event Horizon, another significant wc3 project of mine. Probably the most well-known besides Loladins of Legend. This was before the WoW era, so all of the graphics were defaults. It was one of the first, if not the first, wc3 TC's to actually have completely functional, if not totally fucked up, AI support.

You may think your fancy 4 sprite explosions in SC today are great news, but in early 2003 I was making things like this.

In early 2003 I acquired a victory against Lavarinth in wc3.

The last Title screen I ever tried to make myself. I'm pretty sure I had either Dreadnaught or DarkOMEN make the text. To this date I have NO IDEA how to change text inside photoshop.
Image~[Gameproc]~Image
Warning: dialogue contains politically incorrect content. Viewer rearsore may occur.

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: A blast to the past.

Postby IskatuMesk » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:41 pm

Now a skip forward into the recent past.

Before WG made the incredible terrain in Loladins of Legend: The AoS, I set out on an epic quest to convert the TGS terrain to fit the Sun. Yes, the freezing sun. The terrain work was actually really good despite being a total hackjob.

This was also when I started really converting WoW models. Once I realized Blizzard didn't give a shit if you converted WoW models, given by their hosting such maps on their own site, I went berserk.

These screenshots are pretty old; pre-effects and lighting manipulation.

LoL's exe was around 100mb or so in size, all from graphics. It was expected to reach 300 or 400mb in size once finished. Unfortunately my triggerers losing motivation on top of constantly running into problems and limitations with the game killed the aos.

Back when I was trying to launch a Half-life 2 project, a number of people created layouts for the site/project, called Alpha Eclipse. Amongst these were WarGiant, PCM, and...

Overlord Fox.

This screenshot needs no explanation.

The legendary Pink Creepy Lord

My most significant Wc3 project, as large as LoL, was a huge campaign called Eternity. Eternity was using an entirely new universe I created specifically for it. Limitations with the AI and pathing eventually killed the project, but not before a huge amount of terraining was done. WB also created a title screen for the project.

I'll see what else I having lying around after.
Image~[Gameproc]~Image
Warning: dialogue contains politically incorrect content. Viewer rearsore may occur.

WB
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby WB » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:32 am

Oh jesus I remember that title screen. God that was years ago...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Now with 50% more lol, 50% more win, and 100% phlail.
www.sc2campaigns.net - Coming Soon!!

Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Postby Lavarinth » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:55 am

Where's the Lavarinth boss from D2? =P
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:43 pm

I'm sure I have that screenshot lying around somewhere.
Image~[Gameproc]~Image

Return to “The Doackendium”