Anyone know how to modify supply cap?

GrimReaper308
Terran Supply Depot Clerk
Terran Supply Depot Clerk

Anyone know how to modify supply cap?

Post by GrimReaper308 »

Does anyone how to modify the supply cap so you can build less units? Need to do so so my next scenario isn't the easiest thing to beat.
Revolta
Terran Nuclear Silo Safety Inspector
Terran Nuclear Silo Safety Inspector

Re: Anyone know how to modify supply cap?

Post by Revolta »

I don't think it's modifiable on a per-map basis without using a different mod, unless you have someone who knows how to do plugin-related things for you. 'Maximum supply' and 'Team supply' are EXE edits in Firegraft but I don't know if they work as intended. Try playing around with them.
Church
Zerg Ultralisk Waste Manager

Post by Church »

If you're not modding, the only thing you can do is restrict the player's access to their supply building. For example - terran player? Pre-place their supply depots and disable the ability to construct more. Of course, this isn't a perfect solution, as you probably don't want to pre-plase all those structures, so...

With modding, there's no easy solution (that I know of.)

You could use a .dat editor to change each individual unit's supply is higher than the default. I don't know how to lower the actual cap, but increasing the supply amount of individual units could simulate this sort of thing. You could increase the supply provided by supply structures in order to somewhat balance this out.

As far as I know, changing the actual supply limit itself would require plugins, something I have no experience with.
Hercanic
Protoss Stargate Concierge

Post by Hercanic »

@ShadowFlare has an application called SCMLoader that can load a mod on a per-map basis. In other words, each map can have its own mod, but the player must run the application for it to work. http://sfsrealm.hopto.org/downloads/SCMLoader.html

FireGraft's supply edits work fine. Just know the values are actually doubled, so max is 400 in the editor but will show as 200 ingame. This is because Zerglings actually cost 1 out of 400 rather than 0.5 out of 200.

Since I know nothing of your project, like whether you intend to use modding or not, my suggestions are limited. If you want a pure UMS solution, make the supply limitation a part of the map's gameplay. Maybe too many supply depots will attract mutated critters that will eat up a supply depot, so you either have to keep below the danger level or station forces at home to kill off the moochers. Similarly for Protoss or Zerg, some psi-gobbling critters would be attracted. Have them come in waves, and the more you are over capacity, the bigger the critter swarm will be to offset the army size gains.

Alternatively, balance your resource acquisition. You can't build a large army without funds. Give ways of retrieving and repairing existing units, rather than resources for replacements.

Another way is through map design. Unless the race is Zerg, supply eats up a lot of real estate. If players have limited places to build, they are by default restricted on supply. If the race is Terran, you could make use of lift-off. Certain bonus spots/pits might be dangerous, damaging buildings in it every once in a while (flood, lava flow, earthquake, some subterranean critter), but lifting off will prevent it.

Or like Church said, make units cost more supply. The map might be so hostile that equipment erodes and breaks frequently, food rots, and other nastiness that simply requires more supplies to keep your units operational.

@Church: The map editor allows you to change a unit's supply cost already, doesn't it? No need for DAT editing.
Church

Post by Church »

Not that I know of...

Mostly everything else can be changed related to constructing a unit, but I don't know of a way to change the supply.

I had no idea Firegraft allowed you to change the supply cap! I guess I should've checked that before saying anything. Good to know!
Hercanic

Post by Hercanic »

I see, I guess it was Build Time that I was remembering.

You could inflate supply costs with a trigger. Every time the player builds a unit, add x amount of one to an inaccessible area. The area could represent the inside of your Command Center or Supply Depot, and the added units are part of the logistics department.