Campaign Suggestions

verum
Terran Settler (Unemployed)

Campaign Suggestions

Post by verum »

Hey people, I've never played a custom campaign and I'm open to any suggestions! I'm looking for something polished to start off with
Church
Zerg Ultralisk Waste Manager

Re: Campaign Suggestions

Post by Church »

If you want a definitive listing of all your options, you can check out my fan campaign listing.

That list is very overwhelming and intimidating though, I understand, so here's some recommendations:

The Antioch Chronicles is a great starting point. Often seen as Blizzard-quality classics, this trilogy was unfortunately never completed, but the first two campaigns are more than worth a gander.

Echoes is a personal favourite of mine. It has a very rich and moody atmosphere to augment a very classical storytelling formula. I also dig the dark jazz soundtrack in many of the missions.

If you're interested in some comedy (and don't mind my shameless plugging,) my own campaign series including StarCraft: Gas and it's interquel Ashen's Quest might be worth a gander.

There's also plenty of Campaign Creations campaigns that are worth a look (such as Life of a Marine, Flame Knives, the Celestilol Stories, Vision of the Future, Legacy of the Confederation, and the Bob Levels etc) but with the CC site down you'll probably have to dig through this master download for links for now.
verum

Post by verum »

Thanks Church, I'm running Blizzard's recently released free version of the game, are there any technical issues with compatibility? I'm running Windows 7
Church

Post by Church »

Any campaign that uses a mod (custom .exe or .mpq) will not work with the new free version. Anything else should run fine.

I suggest finding out if you can downgrade to version 1.16.1 for most mods - some require even earlier versions, though. It's a case by case scenario for each mod. I'll provide more info once I'm on pc if you need it
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

verum, I remember when I first began playing custom campaigns my opinion was very much set towards distate due to seeing the reuse of my now beloved characters being butchered with new names, stats, and purposes. Their portrait was there to represent them, but it wasn't them anymore in this custom campaign's story. Just keep that in mind.

And it's unfortunate CC is still down for the main site, but I suggest checking out Church's list for various CC projects. Of course, I have to recommend them. If you don't want to waste any time with patching and downgrading (though very worth to experience the custom quality of campaigns), Life of a Marine was created using purely StarEdit and no other tools, so it should play just fine.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
Church

Post by Church »

Life of a Marine is an excellent suggestion and personal favourite of mine. Lav, interesting that you point out the discrepancy with the heroes - that's a feeling that I remember having at first too, and one I'd long forgotten about. It reminded me of my early forays into custom campaigns. Verum, the first non-blizzard campaign I ever played was After Brood War. While no longer necessarily a favourite of mine, it broke me into custom campaigns - both my desire to play them and to create them. I don't know if youre experience with it will be the same as mine, but I'd love to hear what you think of it.
DKDKDK

Post by DKDKDK »

I really like the Critters campaign. It's a recent modded campaign and has a pretty interesting story, too.