Polishing up / redesigning the original Starcraft campaign

Topic author
Fey
Terran Supply Depot Clerk

Polishing up / redesigning the original Starcraft campaign

Postby Fey » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:14 am

Hi everyone! I've modded games as a hobby for a while now and I've come close to finishing my work on all of the original Starcraft maps. I think I have just two left and some polishing work to do on some past maps. I'd love to do Brood War someday, but right now, the original is all I've got (almost) done. Given that I've had an awful lot of trouble figuring out how to record Starcraft, I decided that I at least wanted to share my work. I've learned by this point how to record it, I think, but I still want to share!

Changes include subtle additions to non-linear gameplay, tech tree, enemy AI, etc. to major redesign that significantly affects the mission. I've thoroughly tested every map I have worked on so far, and tried to meticulously balance resources and unit composition. It should be noted that I am not an experienced mapper with Starcraft, and have stuck to using trigger tricks and other such devices to add interesting new things to these good ol' maps. Here are my notes for each map, a few of which contain screenshots:

Terran Tutorial: show
Basic changes. Zerglings occasionally attack your base, and you're capable of building a barracks and training marines. All remaining Zerglings will bum-rush your base by the end of the mission, and must be defeated to emerge victorious.

T1 - Wasteland: show
Very similar to the tutorial mission. A rescuable Command Center speeds up the mission significantly. Larger waves of Zerglings will come to your base, but Raynor can take them out easily. There are a few red Devouring Ones on this map that don't come for you for a very long time. Like, you'd have to be trying to waste time.

T2 - Backwater Station: show
Significant changes. The Zerg have a small base in the lower right and are extremely aggressive. You can head through their base to the Infested Command Center, or you could go the old way up the ramp. Red Zerg are rooted in front of the Command Center, but do not assist their ally significantly; they have no production, just limited defenses.

The orange Zerg will plant a Hatchery pretty much just outside your base. It's easy to spot the drone moving up there to morph into it, and it's impossible to miss the growing Creep after it's placed down, but if it does slip by, the Zerg will have an even easier time harassing you.

T3 - Desperate Alliance: show
Significant changes. You may destroy Zerg production and tech structures to break through to the dropships, or you could wait the 30 minutes until they arrive. If you play defensively, the Zerg will be particularly aggressive, dropping hatcheries on the roads just across the bridge. If they break through your base defenses, they may even morph hatcheries just within your base entrance. Attacking guarantees that they won't have much breathing room to build up and strike at you without retaliation, but your own defenses may spread thin.

A second, purple Zerg ally assists the original Zerg opponent on this map.

T4 - The Jacobs Installation: show
Nothing much to say here. It's pretty much the same, if I remember correctly...

T5 - The Antigan Revolt: show
Fairly significant changes. A back entrance was added to the Antigan base, though an outlying missile turret still must be destroyed before Kerrigan can pass into the Antigan base without retaliation.

Shortly after you capture the Antigan base, Alpha Squadron will fly buildings over to your side of the map and establish a base there. I didn't know how to make them land the buildings, so I use trigger tricks to make them land.

T6 - New Years Day: show
Duke has a couple of extra defenses with him, and you begin with a lifted-off Barracks. The Antigan base also has a few extra goodies. Kerrigan also accompanies Raynor on this map.

The blue Zerg opponent has had their color changed to purple.

T7 - Biting the Bullet: show
One of the original missions that were left out of the campaign when Starcraft was released. Was unfinished, so I finished it.

There were three things in particular that I wanted to change about this map:
1. Raynor proposed they attack the Zerg hive here to draw Zerg forces away from colonists elsewhere. I made it so there are colonists on the planet's surface which you actually have to save.
2. Duke says there are "more Zerg than [we] can handle, yet you have to survive their onslaught. I made it so that actually is the case; it's more than you can handle.
3. The Protoss units just spawn in randomly after the Zerg attack wave is defeated, and they're rescuable, which makes no sense. I made the Protoss a computer ally that assists you instead of allowing you, the Terran commander, to control the Protoss executor.

Instead of beginning in the bottom center with a base, you begin in the top left and have to rescue the Terran bases under attack. There are four Terran bases that need saving and the order in which you save them doesn't matter. Once your units approach a base, it will come under attack. Without your aid, they'll all die and the Zerg will morph a hatchery there to harass you later on. If you intervene, you have a solid chance to save the base, claiming whatever remaining structures, resources, and workers survive the Zerg attack. Dropships will come in to evacuate civilians and militia. Should you run low on marines, reinforcements will be dropped at your location as soon as possible.

Once you either kill enough Zerg or destroy their Hive on the center island, Duke will alert you that there's a huge wave of Zerg incoming. It begins with just a couple of Ultralisks and many Zerglings (the Ultralisks never make it to the base at the bottom center, they only spawn early to ensure that you can't just drop bunkers at the spawn point and prevent the next phase of the Zerg attack wave from starting), but eventually Hydralisks, Mutalisks, and even Ultralisks begin coming for you. I've tested this sequence without preknowledge - that is, I expanded and acted like I didn't know about it until the last second - and I was able to muster up a reasonable defense and pull forces and structures back before they rolled over them. At the point where they're expected to break through your defenses, the Protoss show up and save your butt.

After Tassadar joins the fight, he establishes his own base on one of the Zerg islands and begins to build up. Once the Zerg are destroyed, you are victorious.

T8 - The Trump Card: show
Raynor and Duke assist Kerrigan on this map.

Once Norad II is repaired, ten minutes after initialization, you may use it against the Confederate forces. If Norad II's repair crew is killed, you cannot use Norad II. Either way, once the Emitter arrives at the Beacon, you must hold your ground for a few minutes.

If the Emitter is dropped somehow in enemy territory, you will have only a couple of minutes to retrieve it somehow before it's destroyed.

T9 - The Big Push: show
Modified to be less linear. Raynor and Kerrigan assist your first attacking force on this map.

The brown Terrans may use nukes and the orange Terrans may use battlecruisers. They will also fortify each-other's bases, the orange Terrans by placing production structures at the front of the brown base and the brown Terrans by placing production structures on the wall to the orange base. A back entrance and a side entrance have been added to your own base.

Alpha Squadron (as a computer ally) and General Duke arrive in the top left shortly after the map begins. There are a few extra rescuable structures laying around for you to capture, and SCVs will arrive in the top left in case you want to attack from that angle instead of the bottom right, after you secure the capturable barracks there.

T10 - Operation Silent Scream: show
One of the original missions that were left out of the campaign when Starcraft was released. Was unfinished, so I finished it.

Kerrigan and Raynor arrive by the bottom right brown Starport, the one with the blue beacon underneath it. The base must be cleared out before you can capture it, and once captured, you will receive the nuclear missile silos and Alpha Squadron will receive the rest of the buildings. While they attack directly, you must cripple Confederate production.

Reinforcements on this map comes in several forms. If you destroy the Starports and Factories of a certain Confederate color, you will be eligible to receive reinforcements. The reinforcements are randomized, but practically equal in terms of strength and resources.

PURPLE: Destroying the purple Starports and Factories will give you access to either four Wraiths and one Science Vessel, or one Battlecruiser and one Science Vessel.
ORANGE: Destroying the orange Starports and Factories will provide you with either eight Marines and two Siege Tanks, or eight Goliaths.
BROWN: Destroying the brown Starports and Factories will net you either four Vultures and eight Marines, or two Siege Tanks and eight Marines.

You may also make use of the Goliaths parked right in the middle of the map, if you're willing to swap out a marine for each one you take. A marine can threaten the civilian there to repair your stuff if you feel like it.

Enemy forces in the purple and orange bases will rush at either your forces or Alpha Squadron's forces if you get close to their base. Civilians nearby the purple, orange, or brown bases may run for help, and if they reach their destination, the enemy will respond in force.

Kerrigan can plant explosives that destroy designated targets (and anything standing in close proximity) if you can bring her to their respective beacons.

T11 - New Gettysburg: show
Some more resources are spread over the map and the Protoss are split into two players. At the end, the Zerg will head straight for Kerrigan and crush anything or anyone else along the way.

T12 - The Hammer Falls: show
The enemy will fortify their position around the Ion Cannon. This map is relatively untested but seems to work fine.

Z1 - Among the Ruins: show
The Chrysalis has a Matriarch whose life is tied to it. If the Chrysalis dies, the Matriarch dies, and vice versa.

You are capable of morphing your Hatchery into a Lair purely for the sake of Overlord upgrades, minus transportation.

The Terrans on this map will expand to a nearby mineral field.

Z2 - Egression: show
The Chrysalis has a Matriarch whose life is tied to it. If the Chrysalis dies, the Matriarch dies, and vice versa.

Daggoth's brood will assist you on this mission. Not only will you have command of a squad of Hunter Killers, but your Zerg ally will attack alongside your forces. They will place hatcheries at choke points and expansions in order to claim more ground.

The Protoss forces have been split into two players.

Z3 - The New Dominion: show

The Terran forces are a tad more deeply entrenched, but with a very nice expansion just north of your position, and equal choke points into your own base as well as their's, it's very fair. Attacking with ground units will give you a few routes up into their base, but air units have quite a few good openings, and there are several great places to drop ground units off via Overlords.

Z4 - Agent of the Swarm: show
The Chrysalis has a Matriarch whose life is tied to it. If the Chrysalis dies, the Matriarch dies, and vice versa. Once Kerrigan hatches from the Chrysalis, the Matriarch dies.

You begin with Overlord transportation researched.

Terran forces are split into two players.

Z5 - Assimilation: show
You begin with two Hunter Killers, six Devouring Ones, a Defiler and Kerrigan. Enemy Ghosts can stealth, so Kerrigan's Ensnare or the Defiler's Plague become necessary to complete this mission.

Z6 - The Dark Templar: show
Protoss forces have been split into two players. One brown, one blue.

A Dominion outpost resides in this region. It's very easy to dispatch and the Protoss may even take care of it for you, but more importantly it guards a great place for an expansion.

Z7 - The Culling: show
Not much changed here. Just a few more structures for the enemy and resources for you.

Z8 - Eye for an Eye: show
Protoss forces have been split into two players. One brown, one blue.

Attacking a Protoss expansion will provoke retaliation in force, including a Carrier.

Z9 - The Invasion of Aiur: show
Protoss forces are a little more entrenched, and you'll find their retaliation as you near the Crystal seems to just get worse and worse. For you, at least. Additional resources can be found around this map.

Z10 - Full Circle: show
Daggoth's brood will aid you on this mission. You will also have command over a squad of Hunter Killers.

P1 - First Strike: show
Fenix makes a little more small talk with you than usual.

You begin with a bunch of probes to kick things off faster, though you must fight through a small Zerg expansion to reach Antioch. There are some lost Protoss units around the map that, if rescued, could augment your standing forces.

You are capable of constructing and upgrading Observers. A Citadel of Adun can also be built to improve your Zealots' movement speed.

Zerg forces on this map have been split into two players, purple and red.

P2 - Into the Flames: show
Zerg forces are particularly aggressive.

Fenix arrives with extra Dragoons instead of Reavers, and he brings a Probe with him.

You are capable of constructing and upgrading Observers. A Citadel of Adun can also be built to improve your Zealots' movement speed. Shuttles significantly change up this map, should you desire to play it in a roundabout way.

P3 - Higher Ground: show

Due to resource rebalancing, expanding often has been made practically compulsory on this level.

You only need to destroy Zerg production and tech structures to claim victory.

P4 - The Hunt for Tassadar: show

Zerg forces on this map have been split into two players, purple and red.

Your starting units are elite.

Tassadar and his forces act as a computer ally prior to your arrival at their base. Terran units augment your defenses and you have access to limited Terran tech.

Several changes in map structure have made this level much less linear.

P5 - Choosing Sides: show
Raynor assists Tassadar on this mission.

The Dominion has a few more structures that the Zerg might blow up if you don't bother.

P6 - Into the Darkness: show
Raynor assists Tassadar on this mission.

P7 - Homeland: show
Dark Templar will help you out on this mission as a computer ally.

Tassadar may enter or exit his command ship, Gantrithor, as he pleases.

P8 - The Trial of Tassadar: show
Raynor's Raiders will assist you as a computer ally on this mission.

A few changes have been made to terrain.

The enemy has received extra units.

P9 - Shadow Hunters: show
Nothing done with this map just yet, but the plan is to fix up resources, maybe give the Zerg another outpost, and toy around with whichever AI would suit them best on this mission.

P10 - Eye of the Storm: show
Nothing done with this map just yet either, but the plan is to, once again, fix up resources and check out different AI options. I also plan on giving the Zerg bases a look-over and maybe re-arranging some buildings, and the Terrans should be a computer ally.

If you would like to give one of these maps a try, I've uploaded the seventh Terran map, Biting the Bullet, to Mediafire. Here's a link:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/314w1 ... 807%29.scm

I'd love to know what y'all think. :) If y'all would like, I could upload the entire Terran campaign, but I believe the Zerg and Protoss campaigns need a little bit more work. TBH I think the Terran campaign could use more work too, but then again, maybe I'm being too hard on my work. I'll leave it up to you guys.

UPDATE 5/17/16 - Terran campaign released!
http://www.mediafire.com/download/bob3a ... terran.zip

Thank you for your interest in my thread! The link above will take you to the complete Terran campaign, with all twelve missions and the tutorial. Post-final testing details are below, along with whatever changes I made since the above entries.

No changes from above entry.

Added an additional pathway to objective, improved enemy AI aggressiveness, fixed up some bugs, modified enemy default strength, and relocated some extremely unfair Sunken Colonies.

Improved enemy AI. Balanced map for different strategies; refusing to attack the enemy will cause them to send more stuff at you. Attacking the enemy will make them leave units to guard their bases.

I still can't fix the damn AI on this map. Sorry, guys! If any of you figure out a way to make the AI work properly on this map, please let me know so I can replace the MAP05 file in the zip with whatever you fix it up with. I've tried a lot of things and it's just not working right.

Tweaked enemy AI in minor ways.

In the former released version of this map, killing the Zerg Hive before reaching the number of zerg deaths required to trigger phase 2 would cause the Protoss to instantly arrive and assist you. Turns out it wasn't a glitch; I did it on purpose. Nevertheless, I've disabled this trigger. Tweaks have also been made to enemy AI and several glitches were fixed.

Added additional triggers to purely decorative civilians, causing them to run if your forces approach. Also added a few more missile turrets, and fixed a glitch in phase 1 of the mission.

Tested. Possible, but difficult. Player 1 (red) cannot construct battlecruisers, and player 7 (white) cannot use nukes or ghosts. I really wish there was more to the AI on this map. If anyone is experienced with AI in Starcraft and can make the two enemy players' behavior differ significantly... go right ahead and edit this map! Please.

Please enjoy this campaign. I would love to hear back from anyone who plays it on this thread. Questions, comments, criticisms, it's all good. Please also bear in mind that these versions of the maps may not be final; if y'all have some really sweet recommendations, and reasonable ways to execute those recommendations, for any of these maps, I would be happy to change 'em up some more.

Thank you.

UPDATE 7/1/16 - Terran campaign updated!
Hello again, everyone! Here is a new link, or you may use the one above:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/bob3a ... terran.zip

I've been a little hard-pressed to find the time, but I got some more work done on the Terran campaign. Details are below the spoilers. If you would like to help test, see my post from today on this thread, probably at the end of page 2 or the beginning of page 3. I'll give you details on what in particular could use testing, or what I really need advice or help on. For just the changes, see below. I also disabled all Brood War units, upgrades, and special abilities on these maps.

Firebats removed. You only have marines to defend your base.

Spider mines inaccessible. More zerg on map, a couple of hydralisks, red zerglings redesigned, and you'll find the zerg want to set up a hatchery where your command center is. And they will, if you don't interfere! Stimpacks and marine range upgrades have been removed, although you may still build an Academy to train Firebats. You also need twelve marines trained to win.

The infinite queen spawn has been removed. In addition, you're now capable of constructing vultures on this map. They lack spider mines, but can get ion thrusters. One of the barracks in the abandoned base has been replaced with a factory.

Greatly improved impact of strategy on enemy response. Defense, offense, or a mixture of the two are now all viable and balanced options. Refusing to bother the enemy will cause them to be highly aggressive, and attacking the enemy will trigger counterattacks on areas you're attacking, in addition to patrols being set up in Zerg territory. There is now a new, small mineral-only expansion across the left bridge. Spider mines and ion thrusters must be researched, rather than allowing you to start with both at the beginning of the map. An armory may be constructed, allowing you to research +1 vehicle weapons and armor, and goliaths are available on this map.

EDIT: This map is kind of overtuned, I think. I remember being able to defeat the zerg with about the same amount of difficulty as defend my base, but I tried again last night and I couldn't get anywhere. Maybe I was just tired but this level seems overtuned to me. Just putting a heads-up here until I can get some better confirmation or maybe a fix out.

A few more enemies have been added, patrols can be triggered, and the enemy will often come to meet you with guns at the ready.

I still can't fix the damn AI on this map. Sorry, guys! If any of you figure out a way to make the AI work properly on this map (and I would REALLY appreciate any effort anyone could make to do such a thing), please let me know so I can replace the MAP05 file in the zip with whatever you fix it up with. I've tried a lot of things and it's just not working right. In other words, nothing has really changed on this map... except for the fact that you can now build goliaths, and cannot research Apollo Reactor.

Siege tanks are still available. However, their siege mode tech is unavailable until the next map.

Science Vessels may no longer have Titan Reactors on this map.

Drastically increased AI aggressiveness. Also removed a starting factory, leaving you only with a starport and two barracks. Meant to encourage more defensive gameplay at the start. Expanding will cause the enemy to counterattack, and they will press the attack on your base with extra units at first. Endgame event has also been expanded upon; enemy reinforcements arrive to knock your SCV off the beacon. You may use ghosts on this map, as well as nukes, but their sight and energy upgrades, Optical Sensors and Moebius Reactor, are not available.

Improved AI slightly. They'll send a science vessel to poke around if you bring a ghost near their perimeters, and will respond with a battlecruiser or two if you tresspass on their territory.

Made it impossible for your starting marines to hit the fleeing brown marines. This is mostly just so they don't go wandering off on their own because they auto-target them right from the start.

Thank you for reading. I would be very happy to hear back from anyone on how these new changes affect gameplay. I go into more detail on my design philosophy in the aforementioned post, either at the bottom of page 2 or the top of page 3.
Last edited by Fey on Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:38 am, edited 4 times in total.

IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: Polishing up / redesigning the original Starcraft campaign

Postby IskatuMesk » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:29 am

Sounds like many of your changes are geared towards making the AI more aggressive in the B&D maps. That's always great to see. AI is such a huge part of mission design and so few people really invest energy into making it work that load.
Image~[Gameproc]~Image
Warning: dialogue contains politically incorrect content. Viewer rearsore may occur.

Revolta
Promoted! Due to a misunderstanding you didn't correct
Promoted! Due to a misunderstanding you didn't correct

Postby Revolta » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:25 pm

You should publish all of your changes, it looks like a 'hard' difficulty of the original project which i'm sure some people are interested in

Andrea Rosa
Terran Academy Dropout (Stim Pack scandal)
Terran Academy Dropout (Stim Pack scandal)

Postby Andrea Rosa » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:15 pm

Intriguing, to say the least. I'm especially curious about the dynamic involving Tassadar in "Homeland", but if I were in you I wouldn't make the Terran force a computer ally in the final Protoss mission. You should definitely release the whole thing, I would play it for sure.

Topic author
Fey

Postby Fey » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:36 am

I do plan on releasing the whole thing! And I'm glad to see my post finally went through. :D I was actually looking for a little bit of feedback on what y'all thought of the single mission I did release, though. Terran 07: Biting the Bullet.

Did any of you guys give it a try?

Also, I've been trying to explore ways to improve the variation and difficulty of the AI. Is there some commonly-liked method done by modders for improving the AI, or... what? Is there some way I could design my own AI?

Thank you so much for your replies! It's so good to finally be sharing my hobby. :)

IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:25 pm

For a campaign you'll probably want to use pyAI. That'll be a big thing for me to cover in one post, though (particularly since I am not familiar with PyAI, only the older SCAIEdit and I haven't touched it for 7 years). There are limitations to what you can do with the AI, e.g. you can't have any micro or spell usage, but you can change their build orders and get them to attack with different/more stuff.
Image~[Gameproc]~Image
Warning: dialogue contains politically incorrect content. Viewer rearsore may occur.

Comfr

Postby Comfr » Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:27 pm

I think I would like to see the campaigns have sort-of have equal amounts of missions. I think I have come up with two zerg and two protoss myself.

Inbetween "The culling" and "The Dark Templar" Is the first zerg mission I propose. The mission is effectively where you have a large zerg base, with you(Cerebrate) being the most safe in it. You will have to deal with Terran and Protoss attacks, but you are almost invulnerable. the dark templar can and will kill you any chance they can get. There is also feral zerg you will have to deal with too later on, but that'll be where the protoss and the terran are relenting for some time. You don't have access to Kerrigan for the early parts of the mission.

The second zerg mission I propose is a mission before "An eye for an eye" Is "Terran Takeover", where your main goal is to infest several command centers of a Dominion base, which will also take care of a base that they have close to the zerg. The primary reason for this is to add forces to the invasion of Aiur, and the secondary reason is to push back the Dominion. The Dominion will catch on to what you are trying to do eventually, so there is somewhat of a time limit after you start infesting command centers.

The first protoss mission i propose is "Weakness in separation". The mission would be on Aiur, just when word of Tassadar's betrayal rings out. You command a protoss base who have seperated themselves from the Khala and are for Tassadar to avoid the pressure of the Conclave and those like it. You have to deal a heavy amount of damage to the protoss, and then create a large air force, including shuttles, to escape Aiur.

The second protoss mission that I propose is "Strategic Strike", following sometime after the rebel's escape. The rebels plan to attack one of the cerebrates directly, and your objective is to kill the cerebrate. Keep in mind you do not have any Dark Templar. The aftermath is that the rebels are killed on the planet with the use of infested terrans.

This is just my suggestion, but it would certainly keep things equal, and add in some more content to this campaign.

Topic author
Fey

Postby Fey » Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:51 pm

Thank you, Iskatu. I'll look that up.

Ah, Comfr, the reason that there are 12 (13 counting the tutorial) Terran missions is because those extra missions are fully voice-acted. I would have to figure out ways to re-use the old voice clips in very unique ways to make two whole new missions for the Zerg and the Protoss. To compensate, several Terran missions are a good deal shorter than Zerg and Protoss missions. Terran 01 is short, Terran 10 is short, and there are various bonus objectives (like Norad II in The Trump Card) that make other missions shorter.

Still, I do like some of your proposed ideas. The Zerg mission with Terran, Protoss, and Zerg opponents on it sounds kinda clusterscrewy, but the other mission with infesting Dominion command centers for the Invasion of Aiur sounds like a cool concept and like it could potentially fit. As for the first protoss mission, that wouldn't make sense lorewise because the Conclave sent you off Aiur, and it's off Aiur - past their sphere of influence - where you go, "Hey, no, I like this guy, Imma help him out." As for the killing of a cerebrate, that's best left for mission 09 - it all builds up to that point where, finally, you have free reign to defend the Protoss homeworld without interference from Conclave zealots. Also, there remains the whole voice acting problem. If a new mission is to be added, it must be complete enough in a Blizzlike manner to qualify...

The goal of my hobby isn't necessarily to create new content, it's just to add my own personal touch to a campaign I really like. I am not confident in designing my own maps, but I will happily mod existing maps. I hope that's okay. :)

Did you guys give that one map I did release a try? Terran07: Biting the Bullet? The mediafire link is at the bottom of the OP, and I would love some feedback on that in particular. It's probably the most heavy editing work I've ever done on a Starcraft map, since I really liked the concept of the mission and was very eager to work on it.

Comfr

Postby Comfr » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:04 pm

The main reason as to why I added in the zerg is that there was the cerebrate that died, therefore adding is some confusion there.

Also, I kinda had the protoss thing as a side thing, to show the effects of Tassadar's disobedience or something back home, and them eventually deciding to kill a cerebrate(abeit temporarly- they don't know of the cosmic energies that the dark templar and the overmind use, like remaking the cerebrates) was to not only confirm of the fact that you kinda need those skills the dark templar use in order to really kill a cerebrate for good. That is why I said that specifically.

Then again, there is the point of voice acting. It may be best to not have some of the missions in there, but on the other hand, there may be more freedom with later missions if we add in a few missions.

I can also help out, provided that I or someone else around at my home finds the copy of sc that i have...

MattTygore
Terran Academy Student (50k mineral debt)

Postby MattTygore » Fri May 13, 2016 9:18 pm

I can't wait for this to come out, having played the mission that was presented, I felt reinvigorated to play more SC1 missions.

Topic author
Fey

Postby Fey » Tue May 17, 2016 12:43 am

I'm doing final testing on the Terran missions and I plan on releasing those soon. :) I hit a speedbump that I don't exactly plan on continuing to try to fix because I've tried a lot of things and it's just not working, but it's only on one map: Terran05, the AI just won't operate properly. For some reason. If anyone wants to have a look at it after these are released and tell me what I did wrong... I'd appreciate it!!

I MUST ask, Matt: what did you think? Of the one that was released? I reeeeeally appreciate feedback because it helps so much in figuring out where I want to take the design process, what changes I want to make, what changes would be appropriate, what I want to fix. You know?

Topic author
Fey

Postby Fey » Tue May 17, 2016 5:59 am

UPDATE: Please check the original post. It has been edited. Near the bottom, a link to the complete Terran campaign has been provided.

MattTygore

Postby MattTygore » Fri May 20, 2016 5:34 pm

Fey wrote:I'm doing final testing on the Terran missions and I plan on releasing those soon. :) I hit a speedbump that I don't exactly plan on continuing to try to fix because I've tried a lot of things and it's just not working, but it's only on one map: Terran05, the AI just won't operate properly. For some reason. If anyone wants to have a look at it after these are released and tell me what I did wrong... I'd appreciate it!!

I MUST ask, Matt: what did you think? Of the one that was released? I reeeeeally appreciate feedback because it helps so much in figuring out where I want to take the design process, what changes I want to make, what changes would be appropriate, what I want to fix. You know?

I loved it, it kind of reminded me of how difficult SC1 was when I was a seven year old bab trying to play RTS games on the N64

the only part I was kind of "eh" on was when I got hilariously rekt by the Zerg right before the 'toss arrive (but that was probably my fault) I got passed it and the Protoss arrival was one of the coolest scenes since the Valkyrie introduction in original Broodwar.

very well made, the difficulty should remain more or less as you have set it.

Topic author
Fey

Postby Fey » Fri May 20, 2016 11:58 pm

Damn. XD Yeah that zerg wave is nasty. I tried to make it pretty reasonable with timing - the zerg only spawn a couple of Ultralisks and many Zerglings until they push you back across the bridge, at which point hydralisks start to spawn. Once a hydralisk crosses the bridge, mutalisks spawn, and when a mutalisk passes the bridge, ultralisks spawn. It results in there being a good amount of time to pull your forces back if you expanded, and prepare.

The FIRST ultralisks to spawn (with the zerglings) are only there to prevent the player from, like, bunkering up the spawn point and mowing down zergling after zergling in an attempt to cheese the fight. They actually die when they get close to your base. When the later-on ultralisks spawn, they go right across the bridge and trigger the Protoss to save you.

I'm OVERJOYED that you thought the protoss arrival was cool! It's the first time we really get to see them in-game before skirmishes and TM11, so I tried my best to make them look unstoppable and powerful as shit. I wish I could get their AI to do more on that map, but on the bright side, they clear out an entire zerg base and save your butt from that zerg wave.

Here's a little secret: the protoss that spawn to wipe out the zerg expansion and the protoss that spawn to fight the zerg back across the bridge are actually hero units. Normally I use hero units as stationary turrets to add defenses to an AI - they won't touch hero units, so if I want a Terran Siege Tank sieged up someplace permanently, I rename Duke's siege tank to the same as the Terran Siege Tank, and I make its stats identical. This not only adds defenses to the computer AI, but also gives the computer more supply (since hero units don't take up supply) and prevents them from going nuts with an early attack (because if I place normal marines around the map, they'll just group 'em all up at the start and send 'em at you). With Terran units this is something that bothers me because the portraits are noticeably different and they have their ranks listed, but hero units like Fenix or Hunter Killers have believably non-unique, similar portraits to their unit types. On TM07, however, the hero units are renamed and set on patrol paths, but they keep heroic stats, hence being so obviously powerful.

The entire Terran campaign is released now, and I'd love any more feedback ya got for me if you decide to give it a play. Thank you so much for your interest in this campaign!

MattTygore

Postby MattTygore » Sun May 22, 2016 2:29 pm

I played through the whole Terran Campaign (and have it recorded and scheduled for youtube) -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wg_F9QIMck

Very good, pretty hard (which is also good) and I really liked some of the new additions and slight mission redesigns like some of the missions where Kerrigan was added or where Alpha Squadron shows up in some way after you rescue them.

Return to “StarCraft Discussion”