SC Campaign maps

deadma
Terran Settler (Unemployed)
Terran Settler (Unemployed)

SC Campaign maps

Post by deadma »

Hello all!

I apologize if this is question is a no-no, but I've been trying to find the original SC and BW campaign maps to load into StarEdit. I have tried the WinMPQ route to no success. I purchased SC/BW off the Blizzard website, and it did not come with an install.exe for me to extract the maps from. I tried looking in the "tomes". The multiplayer maps were there, but the campaign maps were not. The closest I can find is the campaign co-op maps, but I suspect the map terrain has been changed in some levels. I wanted to study the maps to get a feel for what makes a good campaign. Anyway, any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

--Deadma :]
Revolta
Terran Nuclear Silo Safety Inspector
Terran Nuclear Silo Safety Inspector

Re: SC Campaign maps

Post by Revolta »

Hello sir

First of all, you will need to download SCMDraft 2.0 to open .chk files, which is what the StarCraft campaign maps in the .mpq files are stored as. If you're unfamiliar with that it basically is just a 'raw' version of a .scm or .scx, which removes sound files from the map, likely to save on filesize when compiling all the maps into the final game. You can find SCMDraft 2.0, which will allow you to open and convert .chk files (and is just a better map editor than Staredit in general), here: http://www.stormcoast-fortress.net/temp ... -setup.rar

Second of all, I highly recommend you check out some user-made campaigns that feature vastly superior terrain, triggering, dialogue, lore, you name it, than Blizzard's own. Despite what nostalgia would have you believe the vast majority of Blizzard's execution was very, very bad. God-awful. The best they could do was the voice acting and while impressive due to the constraints of the time period, the edits even made certain characters sound insufferable. A 'good campaign' would be better made by analysing user-made content and then separating the chaff from the wheat when it comes to writing a story, e.g. figuring out how to do away with Blizzard's poor execution of the Protoss (space catholics despite being intelligent beyond comprehension? yeah ok). But if you're interested in some of the more technical applications of Blizzard's campaign (Brood War had some decent triggering in certain missions), you can check out this link to an archived .zip that holds all the vanilla and BW maps + sound files for dialogue and the like. Link is here: https://mega.nz/#!1NEXgajR!rzgkrbtXqimO ... pbxvMvmh7E

Finally one of the best ways to improve as a custom content creator is to get into modding and learning the limits of mapping, so if you have any other questions you can ask around or you can email me directly at supermememan69@outlook.com.

good luck
brazil