How Mpq mods work?

TheMadman
Terran Missile Turret Rotary Tester

How Mpq mods work?

Post by TheMadman »

Hi,

I had a problem with Custom MPQ exes for sometime with Win7. MPQ always asks me for SC CD every time i start them.
I download everything for exe (mpq, maps etc.) but still asks me for CD. How fix/skip this problem?
Ya know, sometimes i remember old times when Dune 2000 was rocking, when God of War II was the best game, when
starcraft was the best strategy among everything....

I always ask myself: why many people dont play this legendary games, why they want play new ones?
And the answer is: they don't love games bro, they don't love them....
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: How Mpq mods work?

Post by IskatuMesk »

They are memory patchers. The digital download of SC effectively has a no-CD crack in it, and maybe 1.16.1, iirc. The mods, especially those that are based on older versions, patch the memory of the exe and don't have the no-CD crack. As far as I understand it, anyways. There may have been a way around this but I never looked into it when I worked with the game, since I always had my CD on hand. Maybe someone else might know.
Revolta
Terran Nuclear Silo Safety Inspector
Terran Nuclear Silo Safety Inspector

Post by Revolta »

Digital download of SCBW starts at 1.15.2 I believe, definitely not 1.16.1.
TheMadman

Post by TheMadman »

I did got vision3a.exe working on SC, but on the start it tries to find hex number in storm.dll (428) but unable to find. What does this mean?
Ya know, sometimes i remember old times when Dune 2000 was rocking, when God of War II was the best game, when

I always ask myself: why many people dont play this legendary games, why they want play new ones?
TheMadman

Post by TheMadman »

ok, just i now i was thinking, why author wouldnt update MPQDraft at least, so it would recognize BroodWar.mpq in starcraft folder? isn't that logical?

also, i thought about making an ''custom'' CD of BroodWar. Idea is simple: Revert BroodWar.mpq back to his INSTALL.EXE and then using a program (alcohol120% or other) to place INSTALL.EXE into blank CD with autorun + ico in it. If i am correct, MPQDraft check every CD for an INSTALL.EXE.