May be campaign´s old .exe´s damaging for the computers?

adamnesico
Terran Refinery Attendant

May be campaign´s old .exe´s damaging for the computers?

Post by adamnesico »

In the office of some friends I found a XP computer, I asked if I could install starcraft for modify it wit the vagrants.exe, copy the files in my USB memory ans translate it to my laptop. The informatic asked to me about the risks. I said him that I´ve heard that starcraft modifier´s has a so high rate of hard disk crashing that it´s theorized that starcraft .exe´s maybe be damaging for computers. After say that, he doesn´t enable to me to install. I wanna go to other´s friends house an try to run in their computer. Will be risky?
I´ve some bad experience, I copied the files of another game in my USB memory, I pasted it in the program files folder of a XP computer, and while it was been transfered, the computer crashed and didn´t recovered. I´m not sure, but Iremeber that had more than enough spce for the archives I was putting.
I know that there´s athread for make .exe´s run in Vista, but DEP doesn´t enable to Starcraft files to be unprotected. And the commmand prompt code doesn´t rule in my laptop.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: May be campaign´s old .exe´s damaging for the computers?

Post by IskatuMesk »

I have never heard of mods or starcraft damaging computers. The risks wouldn't be any greater than running anything else of such a trivial nature. As long as you get the files from a trusted source you should be fine.

DEP can be disabled.
mark_009_vn
Zerg Drone Masseur
Zerg Drone Masseur

Post by mark_009_vn »

Well... The only thing that's damaging for the computer is antivirus programs, they are the plague of the world.

"I'm begging you, let me work!" - Osamu Tezuka
adamnesico

Post by adamnesico »

Mmm, my friends don´t enable me to install and run the .exe. One said to me to make a partition with XP on my laptop.
Maybe any mode to run it with MPQdraft?
I´ve copied the Starcraft files in my USB memory, and tried to run the .exe in the XP computers of my faculty, but dont find the file. Is anyway to say the .exe where the files are?
I too thought to extract the files and reconstruct the campaign as this link says:
http://www.stormcoast-fortress.net/cntt ... xtracting/
but starcraft editor doesn´t recognize the *.chk files.
Church
Zerg Ultralisk Waste Manager
Zerg Ultralisk Waste Manager

Post by Church »

It doesn't recognize *.chk, but it CAN open them. Hit 'open' in the editor, browse to the folder with the files, manually type in the file names, hit open and it should open.

However I don't recommend this strategy with most campaign mods - a lot of them have features such as new units or iscripting which will break if you run it in regular StarCraft.
Maybe any mode to run it with MPQdraft?
Yes, that would work, but it won't for firegrafted mods. Any mod with that typical gear symbol that mods have it'd be no problem, extract all the files and then import them into an MPQ, run with MPQdraft. Firegraft mods will not work this way because it has some editing you can't do with MPQdraft.
adamnesico

Post by adamnesico »

OK, finally I found the correct way of load it using MPQdraft.