Newbie SC mapping

DoMiNaNt_HuNtEr
Terran Settler (Unemployed)

Newbie SC mapping

Post by DoMiNaNt_HuNtEr »

Hey guys. I'm trying to make a 4v4 map for skirmish, so that you are teamed up with 3 AIs, against the other 4, and I've done that no problem. What I'm trying to get is the AI to be as aggressive as possible, and get the AIs to fight each other more than they fight me. I tested it, and the enemy AIs mostly just team up on my, while my allies don't move in for many kills. All I have for scripts are run expansion custom to make them fight.

I am using the BWAI mod stuff with the high resolution hack.
Question: Can I play online with the high res hack?

I didn't think I could, so thats why I'm trying to set up this simulated team game with the AIs. I just think that the custom AIs don't work good in use map settings, where as in a free for all with 7 of them, all 8 of us are struggling with each other to no end. They're aggressive, attack each other as well as me in force.

Not so with my UMS map. Any specific triggers that would get em vamped up?

Mind you I've only tested the map twice, and I never built a base, just used cheats and made a bunch of carriers, while I watched how the AIs would try fuck each other up. I was pretty disappointed. The AIs were randomly assigned fan made AI parameters thanks to the brood war AI mod stuff. The AIs just turtled. They barely built any units at start. It took them a good 20 minutes for shit to happen, and only the enemy AIs had built up some guys and all three of them just charged me. It took a good 30 minutes for one of my allies to finally attack an enemy base.

I'm trying to attach a replay but it says the extension rep is not allowed.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated on how to get "skirmish" (custom games) AIs to really fuck shit up. In normal FFA custom game, the AIs especially protoss would always have 11 + Zealots rushing yours or someone else base in no time.

- - - -
Map Details:
I am force 1. I have 3 AIs on Force 2. then 4 on force 3.

I got all 7 AIs allied properly to each other and me, the ally settings and enemy settings are up. Force 2 is allied and allied victory with player 1 (me), and enemy with force 3, and vice versa and all that shit.

I've set all 7 AIs with their race's expansion custom game AI script. The location covers starting resources.

Should I just try expansion campaign insane?

I start my matches with the Brood War AI randomizer. I think I've set that to choose non cheating AIs.

But so far the enemy AIs team up on me, while the allied AIs are not as aggressive as enemy.
Last edited by DoMiNaNt_HuNtEr on Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Destroy to create. All for the hunt to dominate!
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: Newbie SC mapping

Post by IskatuMesk »

You can run top vs bottom for AI team games in local area network if necessary. I've heard UMS maps are weird when it comes to AI for some reason, but I always modded the melee AI and never touched UMS. If you're setting alliance triggers for forces, you could try manually setting it for players and see if it makes a difference or not.

A major problem I potentially see happening here is that very few AI's use clear_combatdata in their script to randomize their attack targets (mine are amongst the few that do). It's plausible to me that the AI's all set you as a target at gamestart and never change that target, whereas triggers are not instant and maybe don't fire before they set this target. Just a theory.

I don't know anything about this hack, but if it's an exe, there's always going to be a risk of getting banned with it. A clientside mod, like an mpq that adds sounds/graphics but doesn't incite a desync, is basically risk free. That said, I doubt blizzard gives any more of a shit about hackers on battle.net than they did 12 years ago. That is, virtually none. But it might happen.
DoMiNaNt_HuNtEr

Post by DoMiNaNt_HuNtEr »

Yah thats right, I remember in the past having trouble with AI scripts when they are assigned to the "Forces", and not the individual AI player.

Shit I'm just gonna have to mess with SCMDraft awhile.

And I bet you a penny (which don't exist anymore XD) someones gonna say theres a better program for mapping. By all means, gimme the best!
Destroy to create. All for the hunt to dominate!
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

No clue myself, I'm not a mapper, unfortunately (and I've forgotten nearly everything about modding since it's been so many years). It shouldn't make a big difference as far as this is concerned, though.
mark_009_vn
Zerg Drone Masseur
Zerg Drone Masseur

Post by mark_009_vn »

DoMiNaNt_HuNtEr wrote: And I bet you a penny (which don't exist anymore XD) someones gonna say theres a better program for mapping. By all means, gimme the best!
Staredit... Clean, simple and crassless, also an easy way to avoid the temptation of abusing terrain blending...

"I'm begging you, let me work!" - Osamu Tezuka