Lore question about VE

DuplexBeGreat
Terran Barracks Laundry Master

Lore question about VE

Post by DuplexBeGreat »

Part of me says to put this in the official VE thread, but I'm worried no one will check there afte two years, so I'm making a new thread. Anyways, so after playing through VE for the third time, I thought I finally understood most of the story. The allusions at the end of Mission Two were easy enough- I recognized Zeran and Urust's names instantly, and though I haven't played FK past the first cutscene, I did take a look at its units in a testing level as soon as I downloaded the exe, so I recognized the name Restrainer as well. I understand Rastadon's random upgrade and healing during the boss fight has something to do with FK as well.
I don't understand the thing with the three DTs, but I've sort of figured out that I'm not supposed to until VE 2 is released, which is never, it seems. So I thought I was pretty well caught up until earlier today, when I was thinking about how Archons are supposed to explode or die otherwise naturally after a short period of time and how campaigns with Archon characters weren't very accurate in that regard (though I suppose Vaeregoth and Hhallahh can be excused, being Twilight Archons, since we don't fully understand the extent of their powers). I started researching Archons and Dark Archons on the Starcraft wiki to see just how long they live (my guess was a few weeks). I didn't find an answer, but I did find a list of Dark Archon heroes... See for yourself. I also remembered a thing that I stumbled across a year ago, but thought nothing of at the time, having not yet played Desler's campaigns.

So, what the heck is that? I don't even know how to put this into an exact question, but like, can someone just explain to me what the extent of the relation is between a name-only-no-story official character and two non-Dark Templar fan-made Protoss?
You are not Raszagal. Stop saying that!
Pr0nogo
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy

Re: Lore question about VE

Post by Pr0nogo »

VE was rushed towards the end of its development cycle as a result of the contest's time constraints, so it's quite possible that much of Laconius' references and plot devices would have needed more fleshing out to make sense. I also doubt that a Khalai Dragoon (Rastadon) and a Khalai Templar (Imrian) would have formed into a Dark Archon no matter what strange bullshit you could justify that with, so it's likely that Laconius just used the names because they sounded cool - or he's like me and forgets where he saw the names, and just assumes that he thought of them initially. I've done that quite a few times.
DuplexBeGreat

Post by DuplexBeGreat »

And the same goes for Desler and Taeradun?
Church
Zerg Ultralisk Waste Manager

Post by Church »

Pretty sure Nannoth/Taeradun was in The Antioch Chronicles, and that one was intentional.
DuplexBeGreat

Post by DuplexBeGreat »

Ah, right, forgot about that. Thanks. So, then... Auspex Studios just took the name of the official character that had no story? Or does it have an official story that I don't know about, cuz now that I think about it, the Archon in Antioch Chronicles seemed to have some tragic history with one of the other characters or something that it was constantly hinting at but refused to discuss openly.
Pr0nogo

Post by Pr0nogo »

Desler has made some of the worst campaigns I've ever played. I don't remember his mentioning in VE.
Church

Post by Church »

DuplexBeGreat wrote:Ah, right, forgot about that. Thanks. So, then... Auspex Studios just took the name of the official character that had no story? Or does it have an official story that I don't know about, cuz now that I think about it, the Archon in Antioch Chronicles seemed to have some tragic history with one of the other characters or something that it was constantly hinting at but refused to discuss openly.
I'm pretty sure they took a guy with no story and just added their own story to him.

As for Desler, if I remember right, taeradun was not a person but some kind of Protoss alcoholic drink?? Or something? I don't know how Protoss drink though. So.
DuplexBeGreat

Post by DuplexBeGreat »

It wasn't confirmed to be a drink specifically, but it was a sort of drug for Protoss. I think it was intended to be a drink, which is, as Pr0nogo pointed out, another example of his terribleness. Additionally, while that may be forgivable as those were his earlier campaigns and they were bad in general (although the unmade EDAST story would've been good), he made a similr blunder in The Gallantry, which I had hoped would be better since he clearly was a more intelligent person by that time. Nope. In the first mission briefing for the Gallantry's whopping four missions, one Zealot talks about how they have enough Bengalaas meat to last them a week. Commence repeated facepalming.