unit with icon siege tank & tank mode

ranmakun
Terran Academy Dropout (Stim Pack scandal)

unit with icon siege tank & tank mode

Post by ranmakun »

Hi, I'm South American (sorry for my bad English). I want to create a tank hero with the icon to convert it to tank and tank siege mode, so you can choose to duke (tank), the unit normal tank and this new unit. I will use datedit, memgraft, etc. that sc bw version should I use? Thanks in advance. :)
ranmakun

Re: unit with icon siege tank & tank mode

Post by ranmakun »

help me please :(, with firegraft I can only position the icon of tank & siege tank but does not work... i use starcraft broodwar 1.14 and firegraft 0.9.1.0
HelpMe
Terran Dropship Flight Attendant
Terran Dropship Flight Attendant

Post by HelpMe »

I have no experience in modding so I can't help you, but just for the sake of clarification, let me see if I understand your request: you have a hero tank unit that converts to a new unit when you press the siege mode button. Is that it? If so, what is this "new unit" you speak of?

Because if you just want your hero tank unit (Edmund Duke by default) to have both tank mode and siege mode available, it already does, so no modding is required of course. (duh)

Don't worry, help will arrive shortly, there are plenty of dudes here with modding knowledge. Not me, though. :fear:
Pr0nogo
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy

Post by Pr0nogo »

Okay so because I'm not sure what you're getting at I'll toss a few possibilities your way. Feel free to try and translate this mess if you can't make sense of it in English.

Possibility #1 - you're trying to make a NEW unit that uses the Tank's graphic. This new tank unit can convert between being General Duke and a regular tank.

This is impossible to make because you would only be able to transform the unit once, unless you give the buttons to all three units (General Duke, Siege Tank, new unit).

Possibility #2 - you're trying to build General Duke, the Siege Tank, and a new tank unit from the Factory.

Easy. Add a button that trains your new unit with FireGraft.

What you're looking for, button-wise, is possible with FireGraft 1.16.1. Google it.
Ardis
Terran Nuclear Silo Safety Inspector
Terran Nuclear Silo Safety Inspector

Post by Ardis »

I'm sorry if I'm hard for you to understand, this is how I really talk, too...

He's trying to make a second hero tank unit. Rather than replacing Duke with the new hero, he wants a second hero tank. I'm assuming that he's working on a project where there will be more than one hero who drives a siege tank.

I'm not sure that's even possible. Siege Tanks are covered in so much hard coding that I don't know if it's possible. My experience in modding dealing with siege tanks has allowed me to create one universal piece of advice regarding siege tanks, "Don't touch siege tanks. It's a bad idea."

However, if you wish to try anyways, you need to find four units that can be scrapped for the following:
-Tank Turret (normal mode)
-Tank Turret (siege mode)
-Tank Base (normal mode)
-Tank Base (siege mode)

I would recommend the two "Unused" units, former Mercenary Gunship and Cargo Ship, for the base units assuming you don't already have other plans for these units already. I would try pulling some of the unused buildings for the turrets.

Making the duplicate tank in this manner is easy, making it transform is where the nightmare will probably begin. It will use the identical graphics, so there is no nightmare of touching the scripts for it. The problem is whether FireGraft can give you a proper Siege Mode ability on your second hero.

If it is possible, just load up FireGraft and set the siege tank hero units to use the same "Siege Tank+Heroes" command list. You'll also have to set your turrets with the right Status Information in the units tab (simply look at the duke parts and make your tank's part have the identical Status Information, but don't touch Debug ID)

EDIT:
The make or break point is whether doing this will actually allow your custom unit to use the Siege Mode ability or not. This is just from my experience messing with the tanks, but miracles happen sometimes. Either that or I was a terrible modder.

I foresee one of these outcomes: (Pessimistic bias applied)
-You have a fully working Siege Tank Hero (~10%)
-You have a button that does nothing at all on each tank, but everything else works. (~60%)
-Game crashes when you call the transform or the unit becomes hard-locked (~20%)
-Game crashes the second the unit becomes active on the map (~10%)

EDIT: I'll try tinkering with it to see what I can come up with later, but I have to go to college in a few minutes, so I can't help at this point in time.
AngelSpirit
Terran Goliath Dome Polisher
Terran Goliath Dome Polisher

Post by AngelSpirit »

-You have a button that does nothing at all on each tank, but everything else works.
I've tried this before, and this is what happens. It's hardcoded, no doubt about it. Either that or I did something wrong, but I could swear I had everything set up correctly.

Of course, there is the general answer to all modding problems:
"It can be done with plugins, but it'd take too much work to be worthwhile"

But actually, I think in this case plugins might be a viable option, since there likely isn't a lot of coding involved in just allowing another unit to use siege mode besides the default ones. If you're interested in making a plugin for this, you'll need C++, either you need to know it or find someone who does. I would offer my help, but I'm extremely busy with school right now and unfortunately I can't spare the time to write you up a plugin.
Lavarinth wrote: You top the charts. Congratulations, to the OFFICIAL FORUM IDIOT, 1N73RC3P70R.
Shameless plug: Dwarf Fortress!
ranmakun

Post by ranmakun »

hi everbody!! thanks a lot for the answers & help!! , yes, the tank it's harcoded, but i create two new units, the tank crusher (with camuflage & defensive matrix spells), the tank heavy siege (siege mode with camuflage & scanner sweep spells). no more problems. xD... now...help me please with my new topic...!! :D thanks in advance!! :D
Pr0nogo

Post by Pr0nogo »

Maybe you want to just make one topic called 'Modding Help' and ask new questions there.