StarEdit.Net campaign contest

HelpMe
Terran Dropship Flight Attendant

Re: StarEdit.Net campaign contest

Post by HelpMe »

Personally I believe that "based on the SC universe" is a much larger and loose concept than what people seem to think. I don't find it restrictive at all, actually. And I'm inclined to believe those who still play SC maps are exceptionally forgiving when it comes to how starcraft-y a custom map or campaign must be. I find it hard to picture someone looking at the game screen and going "nuh uh, this isn't enough SC for me". Especially at this point when all the obvious stuff has been done to death.

Maybe I'm mistaken here, but for me as long as it's got marines shooting stuff, it gets the CONFIRMED: IT'S STARCRAFT stamp on it. No need to cross-examine it with the canon and all that. Anything remotely similar to whatever elements exist in SC is perfectly fine.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

I think that it should be up to the storyteller what universe he chooses to portray. If he portrays it poorly, or the universe is poorly thought out, then I can understand the desire to abstract such material from your experiences. However, I also believe that the opportunity presented by being able to conceive of your own world and bring it to life before a player's eyes should not be dashed aside simply because you are afraid of playing something poorly thought out.
Dem0nS1ayer
Terran Science Facility Guinea Pig

Post by Dem0nS1ayer »

Then there might as well not be any theme at all.

"I wanna make something but it doesn't follow the theme so the whole contest is stupid."
Thalraxal
Protoss Stargate Concierge
Protoss Stargate Concierge

Post by Thalraxal »

I'd assume the important part is that they're making a campaign for StarCraft, not that they're making a campaign set in the SC Universe. To be fair though, the SC Universe is pretty open. Part of the whole "the entire story takes place in one tiny corner of the galaxy" thing its got going on.

Arg, I'd sign up, but I just don't have the time to work on a campaign right now. :(
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

All that means is that you'll never get to hear the tale of Lavarinth. /shrug
HelpMe

Post by HelpMe »

What is the tale of Lavarinth? :ohh:
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Legion »

Dem0nS1ayer wrote:Then there might as well not be any theme at all.

"I wanna make something but it doesn't follow the theme so the whole contest is stupid."
The reason the contest is "stupid" is because it's bound to produce nothing we've never seen before and everything we've already seen a thousand times.

Note that you used the word stupid. I'd prefer lame. :)
Dem0nS1ayer

Post by Dem0nS1ayer »

You never know... Many may have thought the same for the '09 contest, and look at what Laconious produced. Obviously, nobody will be able to create something like that in only 4 weeks, but there may still be some surprises left in the starcraft universe.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

HelpMe wrote:What is the tale of Lavarinth? :ohh:
Make a campaign and find out.

Little known fact: I hacked into Blizzard's lore database and inserted myself into every IP as an official lore item. Except they haven't used me yet.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Laconius entered that contest and won because I pressured him to do so each and every day of the week :P
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Legion »

Dem0nS1ayer wrote:You never know... Many may have thought the same for the '09 contest, and look at what Laconious produced. Obviously, nobody will be able to create something like that in only 4 weeks, but there may still be some surprises left in the starcraft universe.
What Laconius made was a feast of tricks and extended terrain. He didn't win because of the story.

I thought we were discussing story.
Laconius
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Laconius »

Laconius won because he secretly bribed Lavarinth with a coupon pamphlet from Taco Bell.
Pr0nogo
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy

Post by Pr0nogo »

so that's the real secret after all
AngelSpirit
Terran Goliath Dome Polisher
Terran Goliath Dome Polisher

Post by AngelSpirit »

Laconius wrote:Laconius won because he secretly bribed Lavarinth with a coupon pamphlet from Taco Bell.
What about Ricky?
Lavarinth wrote: You top the charts. Congratulations, to the OFFICIAL FORUM IDIOT, 1N73RC3P70R.
Shameless plug: Dwarf Fortress!
Dem0nS1ayer

Post by Dem0nS1ayer »

Legion wrote:
Dem0nS1ayer wrote:You never know... Many may have thought the same for the '09 contest, and look at what Laconious produced. Obviously, nobody will be able to create something like that in only 4 weeks, but there may still be some surprises left in the starcraft universe.
What Laconius made was a feast of tricks and extended terrain. He didn't win because of the story.

I thought we were discussing story.
And yet it still won. Regardless of story, it was something 'new' and it was made really well. And as I've stated before, the possibilities of a Starcraft story are almost limitless when you can easily make up some random colony and make a campaign about their problems, whether it be zerg/protoss or some random terran shit.