How a good terrain should be?

Taeradun
Protoss Khalai Missionary

Re: How a good terrain should be?

Post by Taeradun »

I just realised I should point out that while I did the static doodads (including tables etc) for Aeon of the Hawk, there was a bunch of extra sprite stuff in the later Hawk release and I think also a special edition of Flame Knives that wasn't my work... but imo you should totally steal that too if you want it :P
HelpMe wrote:You have prior experience so that's definitely a bonus.
heh, I normally see it as having spent over a decade screwing with SC modding programs without ever releasing anything of my own, but I guess the stuff I contributed to other people's projects and the skills I gained along the way totally count. Cool!

That you don't even know about basic dat editing shouldn't be a problem, there's plenty of people here and on related sites that can help you with that (plus you kids have it easy these days with your newfangled PyMS... back in my day we had to walk 15 miles through the snow to use StarDraft and Arsenal, and we liked it!). Also I hadn't realised you wanted to use the tables and stuff in a different tileset; that will take a bit more work to move them over from badlands (but should still be reasonably easy), but will also mean there's a good opportunity for you or me or someone else to fix the deficiencies I mentioned (and make it less like taking stuff from Hawk anyway but oh wait paging Meta to the thread lol...)
Meta
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Meta »

Yoyoyo, I mean... greetings gentlemen.

Yeah, feel free to grab any doodads: just give me, Taeradun and Blizzard the credits for them. :)
Taeradun

Post by Taeradun »

those basic tables I made weren't really anything to do with Blizzard unlike the sprite-based ones (also technically some of "my" other doodads were stolen from Westwood, lol); I just zoomed in in Paint Shop Pro to draw the shape in pixels, gave it some rudimentary shading, then applied a noise filter :P
so HelpMe, you could probably easily do your own, in a more suitable shape (and maybe try and do some more realistic shading than I did, while you're at it :P). Or, depending on when you want it done by, I could probably do some brand new doodads for you since it looks like I'm returning to BW modding O_o
Church
Zerg Ultralisk Waste Manager

Post by Church »

@HelpMe: I have some experience with basic modding (.dat editing, MPQ importing, etc), so I'd love to give you some assistance. I can do some very basic iscripting too, but I can't do too much as far as that's concerned.

@Taer: Currently I have a two day deadline for my campaign, but I plan on making a 'special' edition to add the stuff I didn't have time for, could you perhaps make some graphics for the special edition when I get there? :D
HelpMe
Terran Dropship Flight Attendant
Terran Dropship Flight Attendant

Post by HelpMe »

@Meta

Thanks! Ok I guess what I should do first is download the AotH campaign mod here on CC, the custom content should be inside it, correct? Then I suppose it's just a matter of opening it and extracting the files with PyMS or something. Of course, if I come to include any of your work or Taeradun's in my campaign -- assuming I finish it -- I'll be sure to credit it appropriately. :)

@Taeradun

I'm very tempted by your offer; I'm not gonna lie, I've considered asking you just that, but I didn't want to come off as those wanna-be campaigners who appear out of nowhere requesting help from a dozen people and don't do any work themselves. If you're up for it, once I'm absolutely sure of what I'd like to have I'll contact you; I'd hate to waste someone else's time and effort. As I'm still in the preliminary stages of my little project, it'll be at least a couple of months before I have the exact idea of what custom content to make. Again, thanks for the offer, and for contacting Meta as well. :]

Oh and I'm guessing paintshop pro is a paid software, right? Sounds handy to have. If it's somewhat intuitive I could probably make some attempts at... something.

@Jim

Thanks dude, I'll probably need some help on that department. I've fiddled with PyMS a bit and got nowhere, haha. I wish the author had included some kind of manual or instructions along with it. It's kind of overwhelming. Good luck with the contest btw, you'll have to beat Pr0nogo for 1st place; which shouldn't be a problem, he's a pushover. :plz: Lol I kid (he'll probably read this!).
Pr0nogo
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy

Post by Pr0nogo »

By the looks of it, Jim will be the only one submitting anything since the due date has been moved back, so you can expect to see him in the first place slot.
Church

Post by Church »

HelpMe wrote:@Jim

Thanks dude, I'll probably need some help on that department. I've fiddled with PyMS a bit and got nowhere, haha. I wish the author had included some kind of manual or instructions along with it. It's kind of overwhelming. Good luck with the contest btw, you'll have to beat Pr0nogo for 1st place; which shouldn't be a problem, he's a pushover. :plz: Lol I kid (he'll probably read this!).
PyMS is good, it's REALLY good, but I personally prefer some of the older programs. Datedit is really good for dat editing, and I really like WinMPQ as well. I do use PyGRP though, I used to use RetroGRP, but windows 7 hates it.

Get on MSN when you can and I'll be able to help you out easier.
...I didn't want to come off as those wanna-be campaigners who appear out of nowhere requesting help from a dozen people and don't do any work themselves.
My first thread on CC: http://campaigncreations.org/forum/view ... f=4&t=1596 D:
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Taer >

The second quote is made in the context that you shouldn't do it if you aren't making a campaign. If you're making a campaign, it's a no-brainer because you want the absolute maximum quality out of your work. If you just want to experiment with terraining it's not worth the effort though.

For me it's a no-brainer because I already know how to do this stuff very easily.

Sorry if I was confusing.