The NOMAD Saga

Church
Zerg Ultralisk Waste Manager

Re: The NOMAD Saga

Post by Church »

HelpMe wrote:Jim you sound like you have the flu!
I actually do. LOL
HelpMe wrote:I watched until the third mission, I'm wondering if I'll get too spoiled if I watch the rest of it.
Don't worry about it, we don't spoil anything - we actually make an effort to spoil nothing. All that's after the third mission is a dramatic reading, and a little more discussion.
HelpMe wrote:I'd only comment that some campaigners are unable to maintain the terraining and doodading quality throughout the missions, which is kind of a let down because it shows the author got half-hearted at some point and settled with the minimal effort approach. I mention the terraining aspect since it's the more visible and obvious, but what usually happens is an overall decrease in polish. I'm sure you guys won't fall prey to this though. :]
Hah, that doesn't seem to be happening to us yet. Hopefully it wont at all.

Thanks a bunch!
Pr0nogo
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy

Post by Pr0nogo »

Yeah, like Jim said, nothing we don't want to make public is made public in the podcast, so go nuts.
SkyStormer17
Resigned! Suspect in Medic's Missing Undergarments scandal
Resigned! Suspect in Medic's Missing Undergarments scandal

Post by SkyStormer17 »

Any news?? :)
Church

Post by Church »

SkyStormer17 wrote:Any news?? :)
Well... sort of, due to personal matters, I'm gonna be unable to get on my laptop for quite some time, so that's going to slow production. Sorry about that.

Other than that, I guess I'll nag Pr0 to upload some screenshots or something ;)
Pr0nogo

Post by Pr0nogo »

I'm awaiting Jim's updated versions of the first three missions before I post screenshots.

As for chapter four, that's just been finished terraining. I haven't had much time on the computer lately, so I'll get to doodading and unit placing before I buckle down for a good eight hours to figure out "how in Davy Jones' locker am I gonna trigger this beast of a map?!"
Pr0nogo

Post by Pr0nogo »

So, I lied; turns out Jim was talking about a different campaign when he said missions 1-3, so I had to fix up the mod and the first few missions to bring them up to full functionality.

Here's another story segment revolving around Rick Wells and all that jazz to tide you guys over until the release of the first batch of screenshots from those missions.

The ceiling lights flickered here and there. The machines that still worked hummed lowly and occasionally beeped. A dying man was gasping for air, trying to force oxygen into dead lungs. A Zerg, split in two by sheer bullet force, shrieked in pain and squirmed.

In the mind of Rick Wells, however, all was quiet.

Limping toward the room marked "Delta 4-A: Detainment", the corporal grimaced as his thoughts, memories of the desperate battle he'd fought only moments before, came back to him. A young private by the name of Sam having his sandy-blonde head of hair shorn clean off by a Hydralisk's scythe, the sickeningly-rank scent of the Zergling blood that was caked on every one of his soldiers' faces. No one deserves to die like that. No one.

Closing his eyes for a moment and shaking his head, Wells moved on, manually opening a broken-down autodoor. This is it... He scanned the room intently, taking a cautious step forward, his gauss rifle raising to aim forward as he advanced. As Wells turned to his left, his eyes bore witness to a stripped corpse, stained with blood and bearing a very hollow look to its visage.

As steeled as Wells was for a physical attack, he couldn't have prepared for the mental assault that ravaged his mind. A force alien in both origin and existence entered the corporal's conscience, sinking deep into his mind and brain. He could sense it enacting a ritual within his psyche, one that rendered him instantly dazed and bewildered. This mental force was unraveling something that long ago became what Wells thought to be a permanent part of him; the resoc.

It was liberating.

It was terrifying.

"Oh god..." Wells sputtered in a mix of anxiety and grief as the resoc fell to pieces like a tattered flag strewn with bullet holes. "Oh hell on fucking Earth, what the hell is happening to me?"

Human. Like the other, but you are stronger. Fine physical specimen, expansion needed mentally. You will suit my purposes well, Rick Wells.

Rick sputtered in disbelief as he collapsed to his knees, his suit feeling more overbearing than ever before.

Rest your mind now, corporal. I will take over. We will be free of this prison soon enough.

As the soldier's eyes closed unwillingly, a single thought, one he could be sure was his own, flickered into being. I sure as hell hope you're the thing I was supposed to retrieve.... Otherwise, my ass is in a heap of trouble.
HelpMe
Terran Dropship Flight Attendant

Post by HelpMe »

Again, your writing is easy to follow. I can see it all in my mind's eye.

Sounds like our hero is ****ed though.
Pr0nogo

Post by Pr0nogo »

Hah, thanks. I'm going to jump around a bit in the next excerpt, so I hope my easily-followable writing skills come out just as well.

I'm also doing a lot of good work on chapter four. Screenshots from the first three missions should be up by the end of the weekend.
Church

Post by Church »

Pr0nogo and I have been hard at work building more of the NOMAD Saga's first episode, "Loyalty". Here's a look at what the first three missions look like right now!
In the first mission, "End Game", Scott and his men must wipe out the last of the Zerg signatures in the western hemisphere. It's a tough battle, and you'll want to have a well-established defensive force before you strike out against the spawning outposts.
Our Protoss protagonist Salanas is introduced in "A New Beginning", the second mission of Loyalty. The player will take control of Salanas and a small battle group in this mission, acting as a reconnaissance force while Uldwe's main fleet transits from the long warp voyage.
The third mission, "A Mind Divided", is home to a vicious array of Zerg. This is practically all that's left of the Zerg Swarm on Rastar, and when Scott and Salanas (and Max) join together in an alliance of necessity, neither one of our heroes will remain unchanged. This is the beginning of their journey together, and we've made sure that the relationship between Scott, Salanas, and Max is memorable.

Now that you've had a look at what we've been cooking up, Pr0's got a nice story update. Just scroll on down.
Pr0nogo

Post by Pr0nogo »

Scroll back up, nothing to see here.

Now, Terran, look into the past. Through me, your mind shall inherit my memories, that which I know to be true. You shall see what your planet was so long ago. You shall know the truth.

The gleaming, golden peaks of the Mel'Korian Archives, which, indeed, was the tallest of the structures built by Protoss hands on the planet, stood out defiantly against the green-tinged darkness of night. The twin moons of the world, edging ever so slowly towards each other as if in a well-practised dance, hung brightly over the tallest spire of the archives, adorning it with a white glow. Were it art on a tapestry, the structure would have basked in this light forever.

At the base of the archives lay the massive portal of a door, a gateway into unparalleled and unprecedented collections of knowledge. Through the halls beyond and ascending up the tallest of spires was the council of Mel'Kor, headed by the commander of the "civilised" Protoss forces, Uldwe, and his most trusted adviser and closest friend, Nanpïr. The council was discussing the recent incursions by the insurgent tribes that had revolted from under Uldwe's rule.

We must take action! The thoughts of High Templar Tol resounded powerfully throughout the chamber, overpowering the rest of the council. The insurgents must be dealt with! Almost immediately, a clash of outlook took place as yet another templar made himself and his views known. We cannot relinquish all ties to our brethren! We and they are still brothers! If we turn on one another now, how can we speak for unity in the future?

As others began to speak out on either sides of the debacle, Nanpïr let loose a burst of psi energy, silencing all. Enough! If you wish to see this issue resolved in a swift and efficient manner, let the most experienced of us speak! After a pause, Nanpïr nodded towards Uldwe, who rose in acknowledgement.

I have witnessed the birth of this world's colonies, he began. Under my rule, I intend to shape our empire so that it allows the reunification of our people, but we cannot do this if the insurgents remain a threat. As he spoke, the three-dimensional interface at the centre of the council chamber erected itself and displayed a map of the insurgent encampments. The inner cities are what we should be targeting here. If we cripple their morale, their will to fight, they will have no choice but to surrender to us.

While he waited for the council to take it all in, he looked to Tol and Nanpïr. The eyes of the former were alight with battle plans and strategy, as the brilliant tactician was always thinking about troop movements and multiple ways to win efficiently, while Nanpïr's mental expression was more grave. He knew the risks, and the strife such an act would create between Protoss, but Nanpïr, more than anyone else - anyone, perhaps, but Uldwe - knew that this open act of war was necessary. This is not an easy action to even think, let alone suggest or begin to do. I may speak for more than just myself, but I believe we all know that, if there was a point of no return, we crossed it a long time ago.

Vision leapt back to Rick Wells, and the installation floor came up to meet the soldier as he bowled over, his brain struggling to grasp the immense scale of things to which he'd just been introduced. Regaining control of his motor functions, the corporal sputtered and choked, trying to steady his heart rate. "I... What the hell did I just see?"

Wishing he was out of his armour so he could remove the sweat from his brow, Wells struggled to a leaning position, using the wall as a support and wincing as the presence in his mind stirred. The council of Mel'Kor reached a decision that involved the destruction of the core insurgent cities. This eventually lead to a corruption of power, as those below the great Uldwe witnessed what one Protoss could do with the mantle of leadership.

Wells shook his head. "Why are you sharing this all with me? Why the hell do I get the psychic alien treatment? I was supposed to bring you back to base before the Zerg got to you!"

Something stirred within the presence. The corporal winced apprehensively and steeled himself for an attack of any sort, but was greeted with none. Instead, the presence seemed to exert a soothing feeling over the soldier's stressed mind. Then it's lucky you arrived in time, isn't it, Terran? Now, do your duties and report to your commanding officer. I must withdraw to the inner-workings of this vassal and rest. Migrating from host to host can be quite difficult, you know...

"Wait!"

Nothing.

"Fuckin' aliens, probably cold-blooded as shit, too." Wells looked for something to kick angrily, but found only walls and infestation. "Damnit..." His side, still limp from the attack, was proving to be a major pain, though it wouldn't hinder the soldier's movements. "I better not run into any Zerg up in here on my way back, or it'll be the end of you and me both. Hear that, Protoss?"
Scotch
Terran Settler (Unemployed)
Terran Settler (Unemployed)

Post by Scotch »

Impressive terrain work, guys.

Terrain is what I consider to be one of the most important things of a campaign. Some campaigns that could have been great are ruined by the author's lack of attention to detail in terrain.

Can't wait to play this some day.
Pr0nogo

Post by Pr0nogo »

Here's a little somethin'-somethin' from yours truly. Should provide some insight as to how we do things and what's important to us in the creation of these types of projects, as well as why we think the NOMAD Saga is so special.

video removed

Thanks to Jim for the in-game footage.
Impressive terrain work, guys.

Terrain is what I consider to be one of the most important things of a campaign. Some campaigns that could have been great are ruined by the author's lack of attention to detail in terrain.

Can't wait to play this some day.
Me and Jim have worked really hard to give Rastar its own distinctive look. I think, personally, that chapter four (the mission nobody's seen yet) is the best in terms of looks, boasting over a thousand doodads (partially because I'm insane and without a life).

Thanks for the feedback!
Last edited by Pr0nogo on Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Dem0nS1ayer
Terran Science Facility Guinea Pig
Terran Science Facility Guinea Pig

Post by Dem0nS1ayer »

Just a little thing that I noticed in the screen shots... The first half of your screen shots include dialogue that isn't wrapped in quotations, while the second half has a lot of dialogue that's all wrapped in quotations. It's not a big deal, but for consistency's sake, you might wanna edit it. ;o
Pr0nogo

Post by Pr0nogo »

Thanks for that catch! I hadn't noticed that. I need to go back in and edit all of the text anyways for a few other consistency issues, so I'll make sure I fix that in mission one.

Any comments on the project as a whole?
HelpMe

Post by HelpMe »

My assorted impressions:

@screenies
I suppose there are rewards for completing optional mission objectives?
The terrain for "A New Beginning" looks barren and desolate. Nice.
In the 10th screen, is that blue orb Salanas' attack?
I like the humour in Fisher's lines.
"Max"? A pet zergling? Kinda reminds me of Charlie from the Gas campaign.

@story update
Uldwe, Nanpïr... you come up with some interesting names. One thing though, this vision shows the past of Wells' planet, so it was previously inhabited by Protoss tribes who eventually killed each other? Anyway Uldwe sounds like a tyrant in the making.
"Migrating from host to host can be quite difficult, you know..." here the presence sounds almost casual, it's kinda funny.

@Vlog
*sees Pronogo* Ack! Is that -- human? lol j/k
Kidding aside, you seem very much in charge, which is good. Last thing I wanted to hear was "yeah I'm making this campaign, it's uhh... yeah, it's got some cool stuff and umm...uhh", lol.
Some bold words you said there, I hope you realize this video puts some considerable hype on this project... now you and Jim must live up to it!