GRP files crashing starcraft

Whiplash!
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

GRP files crashing starcraft

Post by Whiplash! »

I'm trying to replace certain units with custom graphics. For instance: I want the infested battlecruiser to replace the hyperion. So I have the hyperion use the ion cannon graphic. It works, but then when i try to move the hyperion it crashes. Then I change it to the civilian. Crashes as soon as the unit appears on the screen (you dont actually see it). I am unsure how to get graphics to not crash the game. I hear something about iscript being the problem, but I've seen mods (like the bob levels) use .grp files fine without any iscript. If someone can identify the problem I would greatly appreciate it.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Xenon
Zerg Queen's Nest Slave Trainee
Zerg Queen's Nest Slave Trainee

Re: GRP files crashing starcraft

Post by Xenon »

At what level are you changing the graphic (flingy, sprite, image or grp)? You might need to copy the parameters for the Hyperion/Battlecruiser's flingy, sprite and image settings to your new ones. I can see how giving a BC a flingy that can't turn (Ion Cannon) would cause problems.

It should be unnecessary to change the iscript as long as your grp has the same number of frames as the original one.

Edit: Ugh, the BC has lo* files and I have no idea how those work (it has to do with overlays). You might have to copy the BC's lo* files and give them the same name as the grp (e.g. infcruiser.grp and infcruiser.lox).
Last edited by Xenon on Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whiplash!
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Whiplash! »

Ok so I think I have to do the flingy, sprite, and image editing to get it to work.

edit - ugh, I have no clue what .lo files are, I gotta find someone that knows about this stuff.
Last edited by Whiplash! on Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Isk does, but he's unavailable.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
chris
Zerg Defiler Nutritionist
Zerg Defiler Nutritionist

Post by chris »

Mantidz wrote: Ok so I think I have to do the flingy, sprite, and image editing to get it to work.

edit - ugh, I have no clue what .lo files are, I gotta find someone that knows about this stuff.
you think .lo files are weird. I found a file code by the name of" .lol "
I'm serious! ;D
Lavarinth wrote: Isk does, but he's unavailable.
Isk...I have heard that name before!.....what did he make? what mods or campaigns...I know I've heard that name before...
[quote="Zilla-"]
campaign creations presents campaign creations starcraft campaign contest
[/quote]
[quote="Lavarinth on podcast"]Hey kids, this is Lavarinth. I know I didn't say much in this podcast, actually, I didn't say anything at all. See you guys on the next podcast.[/quote]
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Isk.. Mesk.. Iska... Or entire name being Iskatumesk, currently going under the alias Doctor Doack. What HASN'T he made?
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
UntamedLoli
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy

Post by UntamedLoli »

I don't think mesk knows much about .lo* files either, usually overlays were just removed.
Whiplash!
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Whiplash! »

It requires iscript, which I can't currently comprehend. I gave the file to mesk and beged im to do the conversion for me, which I hope he does. If not a little help from someone else would be appreciated, campaign is almost finished :)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Hunter_Killers wrote: I don't think mesk knows much about .lo* files either, usually overlays were just removed.
Actually, .lo files do this.

They are edited by a program called Loedit and determine the offset of the overlay, often used for turrets, but also used for some other instances, such as weapon effect overlays.

I used it to fix the DyiithJhinn Cyclops Tank's turret for its tank form but was too lazy to fix it for the siege mode form.

But yeah, usually I just removed them. Only once or twice did I need to touch .lo files.

Blizzard has it on the siege tank because the turret isn't centered on the base unit since the turret is on the back of the tank and not the center.