Is it appropriate to create a SC campaign now?

Yes, make it for SC 1
39%
No, await and then make it for SC 2
29%
Make a campaign for SC 1 and then remake it for SC 2
32%

Total votes: 28

omega20
Zerg Ultralisk Waste Manager

Post by omega20 »

That's the question I ask you. Is it? I've plans for making a last SC campaign before SC II comes out. However, since the release date of the game is increasingly coming close, I have my doubts about the reliability of creating a SC campaign at these stages of SC II development. With the release of SC II, I'm quite sure many people who still has SC 1 will still be playing this game, but since the focus of the entire community will shift from SC 1 to SC 2 (though I believe that may have already happened), I want your opinion about what would be the best step for future projects:
  • Make a campaign for SC 1
  • Make a campaign for SC 2
  • Make a campaign for SC 1, then, when SC 2 it's out, remake it for SC 2
Since some of my projects include modding and plot that would fit better with SC 1 engine and characteristics, I think that the best option would be the third one, to make it for SC 1 and then remake it for SC 2.

Your thoughts?
[imgwh 400x120]http://www.sigrealm.com/freesigs/178_Starcraft2MultSig.jpg[/imgwh]
Thalraxal
Protoss Stargate Concierge
Protoss Stargate Concierge

Re: Is it appropriate to create a SC campaign now?

Post by Thalraxal »

If you're having fun with it: do it!  Personally, I've never been keen on the idea of remaking a campaign, so I'd say it's best to commit to one or the other, although remaking it does let you reuse some resources from one to the other (voices, music.  Not so much art resources though).  There's also a fourth option: Making a prequel campaign for your SC2 campaign like Desler did with Celestial Reverie: The Sweet Science.  I think Archangel was kicking around a similar idea.  If I had more concrete plans for SC2, I'd be tempted to go in that direction.

Personally, I'm not keen on the idea of doing script and other work for my campaign before actually playing the game I'd be making it in, so while I do have a few ideas for SC2 campaigns, they exist as nothing more than "here are my characters, this is what they're up to!" until I've, you know, actually played the game.

I've debated about making ACMD! as an SC2 campaign, but it just doesn't feel right.  I dunno, it was conceived as an SC1 campaign and I feel that's what it should be.  Besides, they've only promised us SC1 units, they've said nothing about buildings, and with the current lore status of the Cerebrates, unless Blizzard really wants to shock us all when it's revealed that Daggoth is alive and well and living in Augustgrad and working as a bartender, it's doubtful they'll even make it into the game.  And Cerebrates are kinda critical to that campaign, ya know.  All Cerebrates Must Die! and all that.

So pretty much this all comes down to: if you're having fun making SC1 campaigns, make an SC1 campaign.  No point waiting around.  There will still be an audience around for it, both before and after SC2's release.  If you're concerned about technical limitations of the SC1 engine, or really want to make a campaign about the Terran Thor, wait for SC2.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

If you enjoy StarEdit, do it. Keep in mind the SC2 editor will be no where near is simplistic.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Legion »

omega20 wrote: That's the question I ask you. Is it? I've plans for making a last SC campaign before SC II comes out. However, since the release date of the game is increasingly coming close, I have my doubts about the reliability of creating a SC campaign at these stages of SC II development. With the release of SC II, I'm quite sure many people who still has SC 1 will still be playing this game, but since the focus of the entire community will shift from SC 1 to SC 2 (though I believe that may have already happened), I want your opinion about what would be the best step for future projects:
  • Make a campaign for SC 1
  • Make a campaign for SC 2
  • Make a campaign for SC 1, then, when SC 2 it's out, remake it for SC 2
Since some of my projects include modding and plot that would fit better with SC 1 engine and characteristics, I think that the best option would be the third one, to make it for SC 1 and then remake it for SC 2.

Your thoughts?
No, I think Starcraft campaigns are very inappropriate. Wash your mouth out with soap.
omega20

Post by omega20 »

Thalraxal wrote: If you're having fun with it: do it!  Personally, I've never been keen on the idea of remaking a campaign, so I'd say it's best to commit to one or the other, although remaking it does let you reuse some resources from one to the other (voices, music.  Not so much art resources though).  There's also a fourth option: Making a prequel campaign for your SC2 campaign like Desler did with Celestial Reverie: The Sweet Science.  I think Archangel was kicking around a similar idea.  If I had more concrete plans for SC2, I'd be tempted to go in that direction.

Personally, I'm not keen on the idea of doing script and other work for my campaign before actually playing the game I'd be making it in, so while I do have a few ideas for SC2 campaigns, they exist as nothing more than "here are my characters, this is what they're up to!" until I've, you know, actually played the game.

I've debated about making ACMD! as an SC2 campaign, but it just doesn't feel right.  I dunno, it was conceived as an SC1 campaign and I feel that's what it should be.  Besides, they've only promised us SC1 units, they've said nothing about buildings, and with the current lore status of the Cerebrates, unless Blizzard really wants to shock us all when it's revealed that Daggoth is alive and well and living in Augustgrad and working as a bartender, it's doubtful they'll even make it into the game.  And Cerebrates are kinda critical to that campaign, ya know.  All Cerebrates Must Die! and all that.

So pretty much this all comes down to: if you're having fun making SC1 campaigns, make an SC1 campaign.  No point waiting around.  There will still be an audience around for it, both before and after SC2's release.  If you're concerned about technical limitations of the SC1 engine, or really want to make a campaign about the Terran Thor, wait for SC2.
You have a point. Many special units from SC1 will not be available in SC2, and it would be hard to remake a SC1 campaign for SC2. Perhaps things should stay as they are; leave the SC2 universe separated from the SC1's one. Anyway, it's just a matter of time, to see how things develop in the future.

By the way, I've already begun work on a new campaign. I've finished the terrain and unit placement for 5 maps out of 10 in less than 2 days (I do not know how I did it. They are not rushed and look really nice in-game). Except 1 map, they're not recycled maps. Everything is new. But I won't publicly announce it until I've made sure it is a releseable product.
Legion wrote: No, I think Starcraft campaigns are very inappropriate. Wash your mouth out with soap.
Hard to believe from one who used to enjoy mapping. ;)
[imgwh 400x120]http://www.sigrealm.com/freesigs/178_Starcraft2MultSig.jpg[/imgwh]
Robotronic
Terran Barracks Laundry Master
Terran Barracks Laundry Master

Post by Robotronic »

omega20 wrote: By the way, I've already begun work on a new campaign. I've finished the terrain and unit placement for 5 maps out of 10 in less than 2 days (I do not know how I did it. They are not rushed and look really nice in-game). Except 1 map, they're not recycled maps. Everything is new. But I won't publicly announce it until I've made sure it is a releseable product.
Looks like you went into turbo mode, though 5 maps in 2 days is extremely blinding speed.  I thought I rushed my campaign's conclusion by literally doing all 10 Protoss maps in roughly 2 weeks (counting Cinematics, that's almost 1 map per day).

If you've already done 5 maps of 10, don't stop now!  Get that sucker done!
omega20

Post by omega20 »

Robotronic wrote: Looks like you went into turbo mode, though 5 maps in 2 days is extremely blinding speed.  I thought I rushed my campaign's conclusion by literally doing all 10 Protoss maps in roughly 2 weeks (counting Cinematics, that's almost 1 map per day).
Really, I didn't make 5 maps in 2 days, because they're not finished yet (thought most of them include enough triggers to be playable). Also, from those 5, I just made 3 from scratch (maps 1, 9 and 10, though they are quite large (the smallest being 192x192) and have many units (numbering between 1400-1450 in the last maps (this may be a problem later on, I fear). The other two are maps 3 and 7. Mission 3 just uses the same map from Mission 1 while Mission 7 is a recycled map, just a bit modified. I've also plans for a massive mission 8 (256x256), though I would need a lot of inspiration to get it done. :P
Robotronic wrote: If you've already done 5 maps of 10, don't stop now!  Get that sucker done!
I've no plans to stop (at least for now. I hope this lasts for long though). ;)

Cheers!

~omega20
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Legion »

omega20 wrote:
Legion wrote: No, I think Starcraft campaigns are very inappropriate. Wash your mouth out with soap.
Hard to believe from one who used to enjoy mapping. ;)
Right.
New-/Hydrolisk
Terran Factory Worker
Terran Factory Worker

Post by New-/Hydrolisk »

I think you should just make an SC campaign. There are already a lot of resources available for mapping and modding SC. SC is plain awesome, anyway. And what time is like the present?
Razzy
Terran Academy Student (50k mineral debt)
Terran Academy Student (50k mineral debt)

Post by Razzy »

A crucial part of making a campaign is knowing intimately the gameplay involved. Some of the best campaigns and maps I've played have to do with the creator modifying the existing gameplay and standard B&D scenarios to fit the aesthetic. In all cases this is based on what I can only assume is a pretty intimate history with the normal gameplay of the game, modified accordingly.

If you want to start now, I would go for SC. If you're willing to wait until you have some experience with existing campaigning and standard gameplay with SC2, then maybe start it a little down the line. Personally I have no intentions of purchasing SC2 so make an SC campaign for me. :)
Alevice
Zerg Drone Masseur
Zerg Drone Masseur

Post by Alevice »

Razzy wrote: Personally I have no intentions of purchasing SC2 so make an SC campaign for me. :)
That's madness.

And no, don't listen to mesk opinions :P
_-|-_
noname
Terran SCV Lube Technician

Post by noname »

Yes, it is.
su154
Terran Settler (Unemployed)
Terran Settler (Unemployed)

Post by su154 »

Yes! No doubt! I planed of making a poll on "Will you play SC1 after SC2 comes out" for the same reason. I'm here only for a few days now t I have my very own campaign work in progress at home. It is around 80% percent complete and I plan to release it on 22 of July.It's a fully voice-acted campaign called "Legacy of the Xel'Naga". Ten mission make the campaign while a few other will be "bonus" maps. I'll have my tread about the mod posted very soon. I will also remake the campaign for SC2 althought I'll never give up SC1. I'm also interested in geting hosted on CC if possible. 
NASA retires the shuttle fleet. Those of you in Amerika have only two last chances to see a shuttle launch inot space in November and February :(

I don't need to "get a life". I'm a gamer - I have lots of lifes!
noname

Post by noname »

That sounds good! :)