[Campaign] Empire Wars - RELEASE PARTY

Razzy
Terran Academy Student (50k mineral debt)

Re: [Campaign] Empire Wars - RELEASE PARTY

Post by Razzy »

Cool, man. I've been looking around for a recent campaign in the original Blizzard style. No fuss, no huge files, no mods, I dig it. Just plain ol' Starcraft with a few twists. However, try as I might, that download site just is not working for me.  :P
Robotronic
Terran Barracks Laundry Master

Post by Robotronic »

That's weird.

Try this link if Filefront doesn't work for you: http://starcraft.org/files/430

I'm glad you like the idea of 1998 playstyle for campaigns.  For the most part, Empire Wars takes that style but cranks the difficulty to a whole new level.  There are a few fairly easy maps and a handful of medium difficulty, but it has a bunch of levels that present a very very high level of challenge, certainly tougher than anything BW has to offer.
Last edited by Robotronic on Sat May 01, 2010 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Razzy

Post by Razzy »

That link worked like a charm, thanks man. In my experience the SC and BW campaigns were not too hard for me with the exception of maybe the last mission of Protoss in SC and the last mission of Zerg in BW, both of which are of course the final missions of the entire 30-ish mission set in each instance. I don't mind a little challenge but I am a bit rusty, not having campaigned OR bnet'd in over eight years. Earlier I played a 1v1 zerg on zerg and got my ass kicked by a "difficult zerg" AI. It'll take some time for me, but thanks anyhow for the classic contribution to the artform. :)
Robotronic

Post by Robotronic »

This is a belated bump, but here it is.  A while ago I uploaded version 1.3, which fixed a few issues with the last level.  While the unit limit should be safe, there was a certain strategy that threatened to hit the cap as well as exploit the map itself.  Hopefully the alterations I made to the terrain will fix this issue.

As usual, I'm always looking for comments/critiques on the maps, good or bad. =)
AMD
Terran Settler (Unemployed)

Post by AMD »

this is by far the best costume made campaign ever, the maps are neatly designed and it feels like a much harder DLC to the original campaign

i finished all the Zerg and Terran campaigns without cheats or save scumming and i managed to complete only 5 protoss maps (some of them took +4 hours to finish)

don't use it's .exe though, just play it with the original broodwar version

i searched for the another campaign that would put effort into designing the maps with minimal story(during the gameplay) but i couldn't find any unfortunately, please give suggestions about high quality campaigns
blazin
Terran Refinery Attendant

Post by blazin »

I can't believe someone finished all the Terran missions from this campaign.

It's too hard to play with limited resources against 3 CPU with their large bases which take sometimes 70% of the map's space

I wonder if the last protoss campaign maps were under some playtesting.
AMD

Post by AMD »

there are 2 ways to beat the tough terran maps and you would still have extra resources:

1- turtle inside ur base and eliminate the enemy bases with nukes (start digging from where they gather resource so you can use it when each base gets is eliminated.)

2- by using the ultimate 3 unit combo of: siege tanks + goliaths + since vessels
blazin

Post by blazin »

I used method 2 and I got overwhelmed by the constant spam of units

I've considered method 1 but I didn't think I had enough resources to use nukes for the ridicolous ammount of structures all around the map. I think I've tried it once on this map and it didn't work

Maybe making battlecruisers and slowly using yamato cannon is the best way to advance?
noname
Terran SCV Lube Technician
Terran SCV Lube Technician

Post by noname »

blazin wrote:I can't believe someone finished all the Terran missions from this campaign.

It's too hard to play with limited resources against 3 CPU with their large bases which take sometimes 70% of the map's space

I wonder if the last protoss campaign maps were under some playtesting.
I think I finished all t maps.
The p maps were tested by me, I made a lot of suggestions for certain maps, because some were insanely hard, and some of them probably impossible (A level player on iccup, but still). I made 2 player versions out of the hardest maps.
Robotronic

Post by Robotronic »

I'm amazed that some of you guys dug up this fossil. If I were able to go back (I think all the uploaded maps are "protected," and my hard drive containing the originals got fried several years ago), I'd rewrite most of the dialogue and apply a lot of nerfs to the later missions, mainly in the form of increasing the amount of resources available to the player.

Originally, I believe my thought process for the difficulty was based around players being savvy to the competitive metagame in that they would know high level build orders and timings and also knew how to exploit the shortcomings of the game's antiquated pathfinding and derpy AI.

With that said, I wanted to thank everybody who decided to give my levels a try.
AMD wrote:this is by far the best costume made campaign ever, the maps are neatly designed and it feels like a much harder DLC to the original campaign
This was exactly the type of reaction I had in mind while designing the maps. The difficulty is meant to give an extreme challenge to those who can beat the Brood War maps in their sleep and to have a strong Brood War feeling with little to no frills outside some custom faction colours.
Revolta
Terran Nuclear Silo Safety Inspector
Terran Nuclear Silo Safety Inspector

Post by Revolta »

Robotronic wrote:This was exactly the type of reaction I had in mind while designing the maps. The difficulty is meant to give an extreme challenge to those who can beat the Brood War maps in their sleep and to have a strong Brood War feeling with little to no frills outside some custom faction colours.
I admire the effort and dedication required to complete such a massive project. My skills weren't really up to par with what the project expected but I'm glad you made a harder campaign regardless. Do you have any plans to make more campaign now that Remastered is out?
asaslingling

Post by asaslingling »

Need walkthrough or guide for All stage. Please
AMD

Post by AMD »

i changed the playable race to Terran in the 7th protoss mission 'Sigma Omega', i edited the enemy bases so their attack waves dont get stuck and the map became extremely challenging

i manged to finish it by using a calculator to control my supply and a notepad to write down timings and units distribution, it just took me around 70 attempts to get a victory and 4 hours on last attempt alone.