Problem starting .exe files

Ogyukos
Terran Settler (Unemployed)

Problem starting .exe files

Post by Ogyukos »

Sorry for being newbie here...
but I'm having problems starting up the custom .exe files like Ascension of Duran: Dark Purposes
and the Black Dream series. I've tried doing the thing that was posted in the "how to work custom
.exe files in vista" since I have vista but it didn't work. I'm not sure what it is but I don't know how
mpqdraft works either.
Pr0nogo
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy

Re: Problem starting .exe files

Post by Pr0nogo »

Try running as Administrator or using Firewall to allow the program.

MPQDraft is for using .mpq files and turning them into .exe files, not loading .exe files.
Ogyukos

Post by Ogyukos »

It works when run by an adminstrator, thanks for the tip :D
Pr0nogo

Post by Pr0nogo »

You welcome.
MestreLion

Post by MestreLion »

Noob here, sorry for reviving an old topic... but im also having trouble to start .EXE mods.. in Windows XP!

I double-click it, it shows the custom load screen with Duran, then it enters starcraft. So what next? I tried everything... single player->custom game, load map, etc, but no success.

There are NO installing instructions and/or requirements for Ascension of Duran....
- I am using SC (+BW) v1.16.1 (latest patch). Is there a required minimum/maximum patch to play it?
- Is there any requered folder to place the .EXE ? Must it be in /saves/campaign? Or it doesnt matter?
- After it enters Starcraft, what should i do to actually play the campaign?

I am running XP SP3 i nadministrator account. Already tried "Win98" compatability mode, no success.

Any help would be MUCH aprreciated!
Whiplash!
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Whiplash! »

Have you extracted the maps into your campaigns folder?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Death_Wing
Terran Starport Baggage Handler
Terran Starport Baggage Handler

Post by Death_Wing »

And I thought I was the SECOND biggest noob in SC, this proves me wrong, gj!
What?
MestreLion

Post by MestreLion »

You are prolly still the 2nd biggest noob, because i have a big chance of being #1  :P

After some hours downloading and reading instructions of other Campaigns, I got it with Ascension of Duran.

I didnt realize at that time that you had to download BOTH the .exe AND the maps (some campaigns dont even have map files, just the EXE). It seemed at first glance that the .EXE was a replacement for the .SCX/.SCM. This may seem dumb or obvious for those who are already into the modding scene, but it isnt for newcomers. And for everyone theres a 1st time, and it could be a LOT faster, easier and less painful if we had a bit of documentation. Ascension of Duran has none at all. A few lines like these would have helped a LOT:

- To play this campaing, you need both the .EXE *and* the maps (SCXs/SCMs)
- Put the map files anywhere inside your Starcraft /maps folder. For example, /maps/campaing/duran
- Put the EXE in your starcraft root folder (btw, is this required for Ascencion of Duran?)
- Run the .EXE
- Choose Single Player, Starcraft (or must it be BroodWar?), Load Custom, and browse to the first map (xxxxx.scx)
- Select Use Map Settings, and have fun!

These are simple instructions that would allow any noob to play most of the custom campaigns with no trouble at all. Remember the end user is not necessarily a modder, so me may (and its not required to) have NO idea about Firegraft, MemGraft, SEMPQs, StarDraft, etc. After dozen downloads and different instruction sets for several different campaigs (using several different technologies), one may grab the pattern that binds them... but thats very time-consuming. And please do not require a casual gamer (and huge starcraft fan) to know the inner workigns and mooding tools terminology just to play a custom campaign

Cheers!
bajadulce
Terran Dropship Flight Attendant
Terran Dropship Flight Attendant

Post by bajadulce »

You're just lucky you didn't have to downgrade... yet!

[rant-consolation]
Your gripe is valid as it seems quite fashionable to not include any kind of documentation in most mods.  Who the hell started this trend, I have no idea, but it really represents a lack of completion and dedication to a FINAL product.  I mean how hard is it to include a readme.txt?  I haven't played this campaign (I've heard nothing but good reviews btw) and I'm sure the creator spent a shitload of time putting it together.  I don't see how 10 more minutes of his time to include some kind of simple directions would have killed him. [/rant-consolation]