Starcraft: Survivors -- a Single Player Campaign

GnaReffotsirk
Zerg Larva Herder
Zerg Larva Herder

Starcraft: Survivors -- a Single Player Campaign

Post by GnaReffotsirk »

Chapter 1 - 4 download: (all under development status, a preview of the sort. Thank you for downloading, and support.)
http://www.samods.org/staff/magic/Survi ... 08upd).zip

http://www.4shared.com/file/72678475/55 ... 8upd_.html

Chapter 2 Guide:
Spoiler
Critical Elements: Chapter 2, Seeds of Chaos

Dragoon Siege
Three waves of Dragoons will attack from the north. Each wave will increase in force as they come. Defend against it with sunken defenses, starting hydras, and Defilers with Dark Swarm. Researching Consume, and feeding your Defilers will keep your defilers ready to cast their spell.

Counter-attack
This can be done later, however, the vulnerability of the northern base (blue Protoss) after their Dragoon attacks opens a chance for a counter-attack you might want to consider.

Attacking now will severely weaken this faction. Use your standing hydras, zerglings, and defilers to beat them.

Pesky Skirmishers
Save your mutalisks for quick response against skirmishers. Prioritize Reavers to avoid losing your defense structures.

Walls of Defense
Since your maximum Underling limit is capped, use Sunkens and Spore Colonies to defend the hive clusters.

Southern base, close to the Akilae (teal) can benefit from sunken colonies.

Critical Moment After Dragoon Siege

The Akilae tribe (teal) might be tempted to run you down with superior and massed air units right after the Dragoon Siege. Quickly dispatch scourges, or a squad of hydra with Dark Swarm support.

High Templar Psi Storm assaults can be held off by producing Queens and assigning pairs of Zerglings to patrol the bridges leading to their base.

Defeating the north-eastern base (purple)
Once, the northern (blue) base is defeated, send air units, probably some Guardians and Mutalisks to destroy their Temple.

Defeating the Akilae (teal)
As the strongest fighting force of the Protoss, the Akilae will have to be dealt with in good measure.

Defiler's Plague ability will soften entry for your Ultralisks. Ultralisks will serve to exhaust the Akilae's Psionic Storm casters. With a few hydras, Zerglings, and scourges, disrupt the Akilae to send their fleet, and take the battle on high ground (south-west base).

Send scourges, probably two control groups, and at least 6 control groups of mutalisks from the flank.

After they fall so quickly, move in to destroy their Stasis cells.

Remember to exhaust High Templar mana.

Amassing the Broods
The key is to utilize the Overlord control mechanic. Send squads to a hive cluster and take your overlord away. This will free up your Underling cap, and allow you to stack units.

[imgwh 577x130]http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/6376 ... allnr5.jpg[/imgwh]

[imgwh 584x441]http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/3494 ... llyiy5.jpg[/imgwh]

Features:
     Unique missions
     AI manipulation for enhanced and fresh challenges
     Large map sizes for epic gameplay
     Difficulty: Veteran Level
     Game Type: Strategy (Use Map Settings)

Needs Feedback.
Last edited by GnaReffotsirk on Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
omega20
Zerg Ultralisk Waste Manager

Re: Starcraft: Survivors -- a Single Player Campaign

Post by omega20 »

Hey, GnaReffotsirk! :D I've played the four maps, and they look really good. ;) The story is interesting, and the terrain and bases design is well worked. I like that title banner and the introduction of the campaign.

I've no time at this moment, but I'll check the maps for bugs anytime soon. ;)

Can't wait for the next map! :D
Last edited by omega20 on Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[imgwh 400x120]http://www.sigrealm.com/freesigs/178_Starcraft2MultSig.jpg[/imgwh]
GnaReffotsirk
Zerg Larva Herder
Zerg Larva Herder

Post by GnaReffotsirk »

Omega20, thanks for bringing me here at Campaign Creations!

Chapter 5 is in the works and have endured almost 18 hours of design, planning, and story development. It will be up soon.

A mini prelude to Chapter 5 is planned to come in after, where the perspective is taken from a reelected Praetor of the Ara Tribe.

Thanks lots, and to Mr. Legion for a good tap in the back.

Hoping to have your feedback ( and campaign ;) ) soon.

As always, hyped and encouraged to know you're enjoying the campaign.
omega20

Post by omega20 »

GnaReffotsirk wrote:Omega20, thanks for bringing me here at Campaign Creations!
Thanks. I hope you like the place. ;)
GnaReffotsirk wrote:Chapter 5 is in the works and have endured almost 18 hours of design, planning, and story development. It will be up soon.
18 hours? Good work. If you've spent so much time in the map, then I feel that it will be great. ;)
GnaReffotsirk wrote:Hoping to have your feedback ( and campaign ;) ) soon.
Sure. As for my campaign, it will come as soon as I can. :) (Actually, there's only two maps finished (maps 3 and 9), but I'm working to finish the remaining ones.)

~omega20
[imgwh 400x120]http://www.sigrealm.com/freesigs/178_Starcraft2MultSig.jpg[/imgwh]
Thalraxal
Protoss Stargate Concierge
Protoss Stargate Concierge

Post by Thalraxal »

Sounds interesting!  I'll be sure to give it a try whenever I get the chance.
GnaReffotsirk
Zerg Larva Herder
Zerg Larva Herder

Post by GnaReffotsirk »

Please do. It's a small download, about 3,555 Kb only.

The missions might seem a little difficult, but as always, each mission has an Achilles heel. Two of them, Chapters 2 and 4, has some good replay value to them, while mission 3 can be a lot of fun if you'd choose to challenge yourself by following a different approach.

Also, if anyone needs a walk-through, it can be produced.

The missions were designed and tested under the "Fast" game speed. Getting through a mission without saving and loading will also yield the best experience.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Sounds interesting. I'll try it out.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
GnaReffotsirk
Zerg Larva Herder
Zerg Larva Herder

Post by GnaReffotsirk »

Any initial thoughts? Something to add, needing attention?

Suggestions? Impressions? Review?
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

I haven't actually played it yet- I wont be until to until later in the week. However, curious as to those drawings. Did you make those yourself?
- - Lavarinth
GnaReffotsirk
Zerg Larva Herder
Zerg Larva Herder

Post by GnaReffotsirk »

Yes, do you like them?

About the maps, there have been updates to them. Content and a few triggers, very relevant ones. It's hard to see stuff like this when you're "in the zone", right?

I sincerely apologize, if you've taken the time to download what turned out to be a work-in-progress. Before the next day, they'll be sure to be up and ready for downloading. If you wish to download the new ones though, I'll try hard not to disappoint.

For this matter, and in the meantime, to those who have downloaded (by far 7?), your opinions, suggestions, or questions, even requests, are very much appreciated, welcome, and needed. I can't pay you, so I'll just make sure you'd get the proper credit.

Take your time around each missions (mission 1 is just really an intro and hint to the nature of the campaign and missions), have fun discovering the ways of breaking them side from cheats. :)

Lavarinth, from what you've noticed, is Starcraft SP Campaigns still sought for by Starcraft gamers, or has the fever died down a long time ago? What numbers can we expect to see and evaluate our projects level of success?
Last edited by GnaReffotsirk on Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GnaReffotsirk
Zerg Larva Herder
Zerg Larva Herder

Post by GnaReffotsirk »

omega20 wrote:
18 hours? Good work. If you've spent so much time in the map, then I feel that it will be great. ;)
The real challenge is really doing things knowing bias is evident -- since it's a one-man job. That almost everything put in there would not be subject to different points of view and idea.

Throwing them down, even choosing which one will be good, would stem from one's own understanding of what others might enjoy.

So the real struggle is from the idea of walking in the dark alone, sniffing, tasting, in a dark cave. :)

So, not all of the hours will sure be reflected, but only what is preferred at the moment of choosing which one should be "official" for the chapter. :)

You know how it is.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

StarCraft Campaigns, here on CC, depending on popularity of each project, can sometimes reach over 1,500 downloads a month per project.
- - Lavarinth
GnaReffotsirk
Zerg Larva Herder
Zerg Larva Herder

Post by GnaReffotsirk »

I wonder what makes these campaigns so popular.

What would you suggest we focus on and design around or from to achieve such popularity? Have you noticed specific aspects of such campaigns that can be considered key to them being loved by their respective fans?
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Honestly, I think the big thing is characters. Memorable characters. If you can push it a step farther, than customized GRP/portraits with memorable characters, and a voice to represent them. That's not always the case, however, as a project like LoaM has no custom content and has a wide selection of memorable characters.

I sent you a PM, by the way.
- - Lavarinth
Maglok
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Maglok »

Broader then characters, story. Most SC campaigns are not all that complicated. You know the drill. MIlitary commander versus some cerebrate, but even that is enough for people to find it enjoyable. Imagine how cool stuff can be if you actually have a really good story. Legacy of the Confederation is getting there for one. :)
- Maglok
Audio engineer and writer
SC2 campaign dev ranting: The Bunker blog