Cannot Get Vision3 to Work

DerelictSovereign
Terran Academy Student (50k mineral debt)

Cannot Get Vision3 to Work

Post by DerelictSovereign »

I am referring to this.

I extracted the .mpq and the vision3.exe to my directory: (C:)/Program Files/Starcraft.

Every time I try to run it, however, it says I need to insert my Brood War disc. So I tried putting the brood war disc in and it still will not work, continuing to say it needs a disc.

I use Windows 7, PC.

If anyone could assist me with this it would be much appreciated. I have never been able to play this entry in the Vision of the Future series because of this issue. D<
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: Cannot Get Vision3 to Work

Post by IskatuMesk »

What version of the game you are running?

Unfamiliar with the project, if it uses any kind of Stargraft-related stuff in the exe it will undoubtably require 1.07 I believe it was. Been a while.

Do you have starcraft in your registry and such?
Falchion
Zerg Hydralisk Nail Stylist
Location: Bragança Paulista, Brazil (Da most borin' place in the world)

Post by Falchion »

Man, with Windows 7, not even MPQDraft is working. It's all on FireGraft now.

Sorry, sad, but true.
How I became a troll in a single post (And you can too!!! :D ): link

Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

As Falchion said, it may be the operating system. Windows 98 works best, and if you have Windows 7, depending on your version you could install Virtual PC 2007 (after uninstalling "Virtual PC") and using the following procedure to install Windows 98 as an emulator:

http://www.essjae.com/virtualization/Wi ... gWin98.pdf

Keep in mind, I don't believe Windows 98 recognizes USB drives so transferring files into the emulator would be a bit of a task.

Another option is to attempt installing Windows XP as a partition or emulator as well, though I heard XP was the first to have issues with StarCraft mods.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
DerelictSovereign

IskatuMesk wrote:What version of the game you are running?

Unfamiliar with the project, if it uses any kind of Stargraft-related stuff in the exe it will undoubtably require 1.07 I believe it was. Been a while.

Do you have starcraft in your registry and such?
Most recent version and yes.
Lavarinth wrote:As Falchion said, it may be the operating system. Windows 98 works best, and if you have Windows 7, depending on your version you could install Virtual PC 2007 (after uninstalling "Virtual PC") and using the following procedure to install Windows 98 as an emulator:

http://www.essjae.com/virtualization/Wi ... gWin98.pdf

Keep in mind, I don't believe Windows 98 recognizes USB drives so transferring files into the emulator would be a bit of a task.

Another option is to attempt installing Windows XP as a partition or emulator as well, though I heard XP was the first to have issues with StarCraft mods.
Whoo boy. All this just to play one mod.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Indeed. It's a situation where I'd love to have all the mods converted to a more modern setup, but my modding expertise are artistic only, I'm not familiar with the other aspects of modding.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
DerelictSovereign

Maybe if I get on my knees and plead with the creators...
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

I believe firegraft has .pat import capabilities. If you have the source .pat file for Stargraft, you can import and save and have functionality on the current sc version. If you don't have the source .pat file then you need to manually rebuild any and all button and requirement data that file had. This is assuming that the exe is a Stargraft one and not something even older.

I haven't had issues with mpqdraft on windows 7 but I always used the latest version.
Falchion
Location: Bragança Paulista, Brazil (Da most borin' place in the world)

Post by Falchion »

IskatuMesk wrote:I believe firegraft has .pat import capabilities. If you have the source .pat file for Stargraft, you can import and save and have functionality on the current sc version. If you don't have the source .pat file then you need to manually rebuild any and all button and requirement data that file had. This is assuming that the exe is a Stargraft one and not something even older.

I haven't had issues with mpqdraft on windows 7 but I always used the latest version.
Well, my MPQDraft, even the newest version, didn't work, run even less, my mods. That's what made me move to FireGraft.
How I became a troll in a single post (And you can too!!! :D ): link

RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

That campaign mod has always had problems and I never figured out a way to get it to work short of rebuilding the whole thing from scratch, which I'm not able to do.
-- Razorclaw X
Creator of Wanderers of Sorceria and Vision of the Future
DerelictSovereign

Simply put: curses.
Taeradun
Protoss Khalai Missionary
Protoss Khalai Missionary

Post by Taeradun »

Sup.

I checked it out and it turns out the standard EXE is a modified version of a full BW 1.07 StarCraft.exe that uses Vision3.mpq as a replacement for patch_rt.mpq, rather than being a separate mod program that launches the standard StarCraft.exe and injects code into it at runtime like most campaign mods had. Version 1.07 of course was before the official no-CD patch from Blizzard so that could be part of the problem (no idea why it wasn't working even with your disc in the drive though? Copy protection incompatibility with modern hardware? You were using a legit CD weren't you? :S)

So I ran SFNoCD on it and it seemed to work properly; save for a few empty/broken dialog boxes since 1.07 was before replay support was added (which is obviously no biggie). Chuck these 3 files in your SC folder and run the EXE as normal: http://starcraft.rwslol.com/junk/vision3.zip Let me know if you still have problems though :\

I could probably have a look at things and try and copy the mod data over to the latest EXE, then if RCX would be interested in writing epilogue/splashscreen text I could then also add extra hacks to include the map files in the EXE and have all 16 of them launchable in place of the 8 in the default BW Protoss campaign (with UI editing to remove the Terran & Zerg campaigns from the menu and have the Protoss one renamed with a new image/animation), I only learnt how to do that a few months ago and since I gave up on that cyberpunk campaign I was planning I could do it for some old CC classics :)
DerelictSovereign

IT WORKS!

IT WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORKS!