Wanderers of Sorceria Translation

Created by RazorclawX, Wanderers of Sorceria tells an epic length story through multiple chapters and books for WarCraft III.

Moderator: RazorclawX

SomaCruz20
Terran Supply Depot Clerk

Wanderers of Sorceria Translation

Post by SomaCruz20 »

This campaign is very nice and I like it very much, so I want to translate it on Russian language. Would be nice if I could contact with Razorclaw X, because there could be problems during translation. If this thread will be posted, I'll update my progress here.
SomaCruz20

Re: Wanderers of Sorceria Translation

Post by SomaCruz20 »

Have problem with this phrase For all that is worth!

http://puu.sh/8rzED.jpg

What Ziel trying to say? Is it similar to "Oh God; Jesus Christ; Damn" or different meaning??
Church
Zerg Ultralisk Waste Manager
Zerg Ultralisk Waste Manager

Post by Church »

I haven't played all of these yet so I'm just going with the context, but I think he's referring to the previous line, "The Prime Minister will be pleased."

Saying "for all that is worth" means he's saying it's not worth much or anything at all.

At least I think so. I'm barely awake right now so if I got that wrong whoops
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

SomaCruz20 wrote:Have problem with this phrase For all that is worth!

http://puu.sh/8rzED.jpg

What Ziel trying to say? Is it similar to "Oh God; Jesus Christ; Damn" or different meaning??
He's being dismissive. /sarcasm kind of thing.
-- Razorclaw X
Creator of Wanderers of Sorceria and Vision of the Future
Fraxinus

Post by Fraxinus »

Hello, RazorclawX.

I too have decided to translate the whole campaign, but it is czech language. You did really nice job, I like the campaign very much, especially Shizuka/Deathclaw. So far the book one is finished.
First of all, I would like to ask for your permission to publicly release the czech translation of WoS (called "Poutníci ze Sorcerie" in czech).
And my second question is: in the campaign data, is it possible to extract all the translated files of custom spells, units, upgrades etc and then safely import them to books 2, 3, 4, 5, 6? I wonder if it would be ok and wouldn't break the campaigns somehow as I know such move can delete all the thing that are different between books, and that could possibly crash the campaign.

Thank you for your reply.
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

I don't mind the translation thing.

As for the data files, I can't reliably guarantee that would work. On paper it SHOULD work if you went from 6 going backward, but there's no telling what that would do (even I'm afraid of doing that).
-- Razorclaw X
Fraxinus

Post by Fraxinus »

Thank you.

OK, I will do it the safer way then.

I will ask one more question: when Shizuka calls Deathclaw "Dragon Breath," is she just spurring him, or why she calls him that way? The problem is, that such expression can not be translated word by word without being very strange, awkward. Moreover, in some animated series I had seen both in english and czech, there even were such expressions like "name-breath" which were always clear harsh insults, but in czech versions there were usually brand new nicknames for them, that one would not be impressed by being called that way. So I would like to know your opinion. It had been years already I played the campaigns as a whole run, so I do not remember, where exactly and when did she call him that way later in books 3-6. I would like to have this particular thing checked.

Thank you very much.
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

Well okay I can understand that, so I'll try to keep things simple.

She's insulting him. For Deathclaw he puts up with it to humor her. Deathclaw also does it, but it's typically limited to "girl" so it's not done as strongly on his part.
-- Razorclaw X
Fraxinus

Post by Fraxinus »

Thank you.

I decided to make Shizuka call him the way that it is like she calls him literally "girly-dragon (who is unable to breath fire)"
That expression was among those I was considering.
I believe that "saň" could be quite stronger insult than "holčička" - little girl.
Fraxinus

Post by Fraxinus »

Now, thank you very much for releasing new patch. :D
Just before finalizing the whole project, I can start it "anew." :D

P.S. About "extracting all the translated files of custom spells, units, upgrades and importing them to other books." During translation I realized that the skill IDs are mainly the same, but some data like values of damage etc. are slightly different sometimes. So it would really be bad idea to do it as it might affect the gameplay.
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

I seriously doubt it would affect gameplay that much, but I'm still scared out of my wits to just put the newer stuff on top of the older stuff (I think it would mostly break Books 1 and 2). I actually did that for the new Book 6 (because I wanted to add stuff to it that I made long afterward, but wasn't part of the data actually in Book 6's ability list) and it caused a few problems when I did that, but it mostly worked.
-- Razorclaw X
Fraxinus

Post by Fraxinus »

Maybe it was an exaggeration on my side.
The main problem would be timing of skills, both duration of effect and cooldown. I noticed that in many skills the values are not always the same. It would be a matter of a long debate whether longer effects or shorter cooldowns or both would bring too much advantage to the player.

In books 1 and 2, many of the skills are totally missing, and few of them (5? maybe 10?) seem to be unique to those 2 books but I am not sure, maybe those skills just have different name than in other books. But many skills in books 1 and 2 are sorted in different categories, f.e. not in Night Elves custom skills, but rather in Orc custom skills etc. I haven't noticed any mismatch of ID's in all books so far (even descriptions with ID pointers inh <aaaaaa> or how can I call it agree in all books). I presume different categorization would not affect the game at all.

I hope the additional work would be fast.

Do you plan to release new patches in near future?
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

Fraxinus wrote:Maybe it was an exaggeration on my side.
The main problem would be timing of skills, both duration of effect and cooldown. I noticed that in many skills the values are not always the same. It would be a matter of a long debate whether longer effects or shorter cooldowns or both would bring too much advantage to the player.
I think all the changes made later were for the player's benefit. The later ones are probably less obnoxious. I would err on the later values being more 'right' than anything.
In books 1 and 2, many of the skills are totally missing, and few of them (5? maybe 10?) seem to be unique to those 2 books but I am not sure, maybe those skills just have different name than in other books. But many skills in books 1 and 2 are sorted in different categories, f.e. not in Night Elves custom skills, but rather in Orc custom skills etc. I haven't noticed any mismatch of ID's in all books so far (even descriptions with ID pointers inh <aaaaaa> or how can I call it agree in all books). I presume different categorization would not affect the game at all.
Books 1 and 2 were just plain done in a different way and modified abilities were really rough at that stage.

I can only trust that Doodads, Destructibles, and Buffs won't screw up anything by directly importing the newer one. Upgrades and Items are iffy because I think I did some campaign-specific things to them. I know changing the Units tab is off limits because there is campaign specific stuff in all of them. Abilities is one of those things where I *think* I never deleted anything (actually I know I changed some things, the question is *when*) so in theory it would work with everything, but I can't rely on that being true.

Categories don't affect a thing, it's just an editor thing.
Fraxinus wrote:Do you plan to release new patches in near future?
Most likely until people stop telling me there's problems or I don't find any more problems.
-- Razorclaw X
Fraxinus

Post by Fraxinus »

RazorclawX wrote:Most likely until people stop telling me there's problems or I don't find any more problems.
I will wait a bit then.

Thank you for your replies.
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

Wow, discovered that Blizzard actually fixed the targets allowed section on Flame Strike's Neutral versions so they read their own target criteria now instead of the original Flame Strike. That's the kind of thing which prompted me to make the 4th Edition version to begin with.

The funny thing is I think I DID notice this before, but for some reason it didn't occur to me that's what happened.

I'm wondering what else they fixed, although the only other abilities I know off-hand that was like that was Carrion Swarm and Incinerate, and those don't matter nearly as much as Flame Strike.
-- Razorclaw X