Wanderers of Sorceria Dedicated Update Thread

Created by RazorclawX, Wanderers of Sorceria tells an epic length story through multiple chapters and books for WarCraft III.

Moderator: RazorclawX

RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: Wanderers of Sorceria Dedicated Update Thread

Post by RazorclawX »

ANIMATIONS

No, my 3D skills have not improved.

A number of characters are getting new animations-- particularly the main cast. Johan has spell animations now, so when he Thunderclaps it looks like he's pounding the ground. Kurumi's animations are completely different and are based on the Blood Mage animations instead of the Warden: both because the animations are better and it's more of a differentiation from Shizuka's animations (which are still based on the Warden). Kanna's got the extra animations Yue Fang has (considering they're both based on the same model this wasn't hard). Shion has spell animations.

Most of the generic Zande Witches also have new models or animations. Along with that Rangers in the early Books get Rain of Arrows to go with the animation changes instead of the useless Scout skill they all had. There's actually now seven Hero variations for this faction now (basically comes with the fact you make so many female Heroes) so you're unlikely to see some of them more than twice total (where all of them appear in Chapter 5).
-- Razorclaw X
Creator of Wanderers of Sorceria and Vision of the Future
Davzz
Terran Missile Turret Rotary Tester
Terran Missile Turret Rotary Tester

Post by Davzz »

Any estimated release date? It would be cool I can knock out some more WoS playing during Christmas. Or earlier.

I'm not sure how you repeatedly got me to anticipate this campaign over and over.
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

I'm hoping by the end of the month.

One of the things I repeatedly told myself I would not touch was gameflow... and I think I screwed that up. I don't know if it's been like that forever, but I noticed that some of the AI computer opponents would repeatedly get stuck on themselves (this happens the most with the Zande since they seem to like to cluster in the small gap between the gold mine and the main Tree) and stagger out an attack instead of sending everything in a group at once. I'm not entirely sure this is even fixable.

It's probably one of those things that Blizzard changed internally on how certain behaviors work. Soul Blight, for instance, in earlier patches actually did work as advertised and now it doesn't.

Oh yeah, and I discovered a bug in Book 2, Chapter 5, where the suicide units couldn't attack Kosseimaru (turns out there was an old, obscure trigger that made the suicide units allied with him). That one was kind of dumb.

Book 2 had so many revisions done to it, it's a wonder it actually worked. A lot of the stages there are huge buggy messes (and probably still are)-- and that's considering it's also the one with the fewest maps in it. The other five Books are pretty much done other than mostly cosmetic changes here and there.

ED: I'm pretty much done adding stuff, the thing I'm doing now is making sure to fix as many bugs as possible.
-- Razorclaw X
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

Cripes, found and fixed a real game-breaking bug with the Class selection system. Don't even know WHY it was bugged, either, but I have a feeling Blizzard's parser didn't like what I was doing. The problems I was getting was similar to when I tried to use an 'optimizer' on my maps in the past.
-- Razorclaw X
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

ITEM MANAGEMENT

As any of you who played know Book 6 pretty much gives you every item your Heroes have from the end of the previous Books. Three more Heroes apply to this: Chitinstrike, Bannon, and Nel; previously none of their items carried over.

Of course anyone who knows how the Newgameplus system works can easily abuse that and do a quick item duplication with any of them. This honestly doesn't matter that much to me.
-- Razorclaw X
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

THINGS THAT CHANGED; THINGS THAT ULTIMATELY STAYED THE SAME

I was strongly considering changing all the Mech Armor units from Orcs with flamethrowers to Goblins with flamethrowers, but for whatever reason I couldn't get the model right, and I didn't feel like getting it right. That change would've followed suit by replacing all the Battlewagons (Orc race car) in Book 5 with Goblin vehicles, so the entire Neo Arcadia faction would be Orc-less and be completely Goblin. Ultimately, I decided I couldn't be assed to do such a thing. The Goblin-as-Mech Armor never looked right, so it's still an Orc with a flamethrower.

I did consider changing the Jin Gyrocoptors in Book 5 (they're not in Book 3) with something else, but that something else never materialized... so they're still Gyrocoptors. I seriously couldn't think of a thing to replace them with.

I redid a number of the Nerubian buildings so they have better animations than they did before. That involved adding animations to the Icecrown Obelisk, the Throne, and the Ner'zhul Frozen Throne models. The Icecrown Obelisk replaced the old Nerubian Obelisk (mostly because it looks better) and the Shrine of Spiders with the Nerubian Throne (because the Throne looks better than a doodad Crypt), I never could find a use for the Frozen Throne model. It's such a shame, too.

Satyr AI in Book 2 was ridiculously simple-- every time they appeared they used the exact same AI. No more! The variance was more in the unit composition of their attacks; in one chapter they primarily use Skeleton units while another would use a bunch of Treants. They're not THAT much different from before, but it's more varied than it was previously.

By the way, Books 1 through 5 are done. Once I'm done with Book 6 (likely by the end of the week; most of the changes to it are bugfixes and not actual features) the whole thing will be released.

Just a note: there are NO Achievements or Journal pages in Book 6. The journal upgrades are still used, though. This is by design because, story-wise, Book 6 is fundamentally different from the previous five as Book 6 is supposed to take place in the 'present' as opposed to the first five being retellings.
-- Razorclaw X
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

It's done. Let me know if you find any crippling bugs
-- Razorclaw X
muaddib
Terran Starport Baggage Handler
Terran Starport Baggage Handler

Post by muaddib »

taken me a few hours annoyingly to dl each remake [firewalls perhapse], at any rate, feed back time:

a possible bug: at book 6 the treasure chest/inventory box that joins the heroes at each area might be tad bugged.
at the central hub where you get to choose from the 4 districts the box is empty and place is filled the first time with items from previous books [such as searing blade].
if i fill up the box with stuff i might find useful, it does not show up at other district/s as well as the fact it gets filled with other items i didnt pick at first place.
second possible bug:during the extra chapter event at book 3 [after yellow turban rebbelion], quest log states of 3 diaries, but none exist, or possible to obtain either.
facing metallus seems bugged still when he whirlwind-teleport around at book 5 and 6: he gets perma stuck at border areas or in the ice blocks.
a possible bug:for some reason after i replayed book 2 with savegame plus, hokuto at lvl 9, or 10 didnt recieve her ultimate ability after saving 3 of the characters
if any other bugs, i dont remember at the moment.
and general positive feedback: definatly enjoyed the haul over the game got into, including obelisks . and DDR, and of course the class choosing :)
also, achivments are well amusing, nicely skilled RCX :)
Demoneater
Terran Factory Worker
Terran Factory Worker

Post by Demoneater »

Hte new version got released?? May I marry you? <3

"One of the things I repeatedly told myself I would not touch was gameflow... and I think I screwed that up. I don't know if it's been like that forever, but I noticed that some of the AI computer opponents would repeatedly get stuck on themselves (this happens the most with the Zande since they seem to like to cluster in the small gap between the gold mine and the main Tree) and stagger out an attack instead of sending everything in a group at once. I'm not entirely sure this is even fixable. "
Is this fixed meanwhile.

The ultimate of the shadow weaver was intended that way, IIRC. Has been a while.
qwsdxc
Terran Settler (Unemployed)
Terran Settler (Unemployed)

Post by qwsdxc »

I just finished playing Wanderers of Sorceria (the previous version unfortunately).I really enjoyed playing and I am amazed of you dedication in improving those campaigns, razorclaw x.My only complaints are about the problematic item transfer from book 5 to book 6 and having to play the districts 3 times (although it's unique and shows how the same stage can be played from a different angle,i got bored the 3rd time.)

The story is awesome.You should consider writing it in a book.

Thank you for the hours of entertainment you offer us with your work.
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

qwsdxc wrote:and having to play the districts 3 times (although it's unique and shows how the same stage can be played from a different angle,i got bored the 3rd time.)
This didn't really work out the way I wanted it to. When I drew up the designs for the districts they were all supposed to be played in a completely different manner, as you said, but the order in which those happened got screwed up when I tried matching everything to my internal timeline (I actually plotted out which Hero was in what district at a given time, although it's not completely perfect-- all three of them appear in East District at the same time at one point, for instance).

The South District in particular had this problem in a huge way. By design Hikaru would run down the left, Kurumi would run down the right, and Shizuka could go down either one. Now, as implemented, you get to do it in Shizuka's version BEFORE Kurumi, which makes her trip down the right side kind of silly.

The West District had a problem where there was actually only two courses plotted out in it, and the majority of it was Shizuka's run, with the other two as somewhat of an afterthought.

The North District had a similar problem as the West District, but that only happened after I scrapped Hikaru's path, which was going to be an AOS-style map (hence the map layout)-- which was scrapped because he already had a Tug-of-War stage. Hikaru's run in the release version ended up being very similar to Kurumi's.

The East District actually turned out exactly the way I wanted it.

The Sorceria Core lift was only actually meant for Hikaru-- Shizuka and Kurumi were going to go down in alternative methods (and thus timeline-wise it was actually Shizuka attempting to catch up with the elevator). This is the reason why both arenas on the map have an exit leading to the left and the right. Kurumi's path was never worked out and thus defaulted back to the lift, but Shizuka was going to be going down using the Tether Rifle and being helped by Dalles, Kuth'kullen, Scaldar, and Yue Fang at certain points on the way down-- she would leave them behind because they couldn't follow the Tethers. Of course, that never got implemented because I couldn't do it in a satisfactory manner, and then I ended up giving Scaldar and Yue Fang to Kurumi's elevator action.
-- Razorclaw X
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

Uploaded some fixes for Books 2, 3, and 6. Things fixed:

- More sanity checks to make sure Hokuto learns Dark Summoning. It also gives another Amulet of Recall for free if Hokuto doesn't meet the criteria for the sanity checks (which is removed by the end of the map anyway if you don't use it); having an extra one shouldn't break anything.
- Fixed the Obelisks in Book 3 so you can actually turn in the Hearts again
- Removed the 3 journals in the Summoner Duel map; you can't actually get them in any way (at one point you could, but apparently I stripped out that code)
- Fixed the Stashes in Book 6 (well, it worked okay when testing; I can't guarantee it's completely bug free)

If you find any more bugs keep posting.
-- Razorclaw X
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

Uploaded another bugfix version of Book 2. This one fixes the achievement in "One Last Look".
-- Razorclaw X
zhzch
Terran Academy Student (50k mineral debt)
Terran Academy Student (50k mineral debt)

Post by zhzch »

It seems Hikaru's chain mana burn can be used on allies in book six, I accidentally killed Ingram with it.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

zhzch wrote:It seems Hikaru's chain mana burn can be used on allies in book six, I accidentally killed Ingram with it.
I laughed a little, I wont lie... :hah:
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator