Metal Thread

Moderator: Milldawg

Zilla-
Protoss Dragoon Shooting Target

Metal Thread

Post by Zilla- »

There was one of these on SA a while ago, anyway I spend a lot of time at work looking up various metal songs/albums/videos, thought some of you folks might have a similar appreciation for it.

Anyway, the past few weeks I've been listening to:

Baroness - prog metal? idk they jump around a lot from album to album which is super cool. Each album is like a concept album revolving around a colour, new one is purple. Also their art is beautiful. if nothing else id like prints of these to hang up somewhere, very pretty. Deafheaven - pretty much black metal for folks that dont listen to black metal. Has shoegazy type elements to it Stoned Jesus - Awesome name, kickass album art, they're a ukrainian stoner/doom but very mellow. reminds me of mastodon at times Volbeat - this dudes voice, fucking sex. idk why but some of their songs just get stuck in my head. More like standard traditional heavy metal. lets get groovy~ Insomnium - some pretty melodeath, good use of clean vocals, 'softer' than most melodic death metal but in a good way (imo) Arch Enemy - this chicks voice! they have pretty girls sing but i cant fucking tell, brutal as fuck vocals. melodeath too i think? idk pretty good shit. This one song i linked has a reference to some classical piece that im positive i've heard somewhere before but i cant name the tune (~1.57 - 2.07). if anyone can figure out what it is they get a cookie (there is no cookie)

BONUS ROUND-
Found this shit today, kick ass cover of Bells of Notre Dame (from Hunchback of Notre Dame)
Thoughts?
Krazy
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper

Re: Metal Thread

Post by Krazy »

Arjen Lucassen / "Ayreon" (Prog)
► Show Spoiler

Within Temptation (Symphonic)
► Show Spoiler
Dream Theater (Prog)
► Show Spoiler
Leaves Eyes (Viking)
► Show Spoiler
AND HERE'S SOMETHING JUST FOR HICKS
► Show Spoiler
Zilla-

Post by Zilla- »

I was supposed to see dream theater a while ago when they were on tour with iron maiden but we made it just as they were getting off stage :( Maiden was killer though, one of the best shows ever.

To continue the prog/strange train my first recommendation today is gonna be some local Jersey talent;
Thank You Scientist - 7 piece prog group, the violin and trumpet are an amazing touch lending to a smooth sound Next I got one of my favourite music videos, i'd watch it regardless of the song,
Red Fang - Wires, stoner rock i guess, idk the video is metal as fuck the song fits. band has got a nice grungy sound Clutch - Another band that has been all over the place musically, some of their shit is super bluesy, others is pure sludge/doom. In keeping with the jersey theme though lets go with a tribute to the industrial wasteland up by newark I keep getting forced to do work today though, so i'll need to add more later ;_;
Last edited by Zilla- on Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zilla-

Post by Zilla- »

lets do some covers today;

Institutionalized by Suicidal Tendencies is basically teenage angst poured into a song Recently ICE-T (lolwut) did like an updated/modernized/tribute version of the struggles of playing mother fucking xbox and passwords and ham sandwiches. definitely worth a listen Toto's africa is a classic. this is just an objective fact.
Erock did cover of it that is subjectively amazing, special bonus ~2mins in. Highly recommended. Graveworm is an italian symphonic black/death metal group, most of their albums have at least one ridiculous cover and this rendition of Bonnie Tyler's 'I need a hero" is no exception. i wish there were more over the top type covers of popsongs Machinae Supremacy did a britney spears cover though, and then made a fan made amv the official video. lol

Bonus round~
As some of you might know, Christopher Lee released another metal album a short while before he went to Valhalla, (the music is kinda cheesy, but its metal as fuck cause its motherfucking christopher lee at like age 143) in which he may have shed the blood of the saxon men... and he's also done work with Rhapsody (of Fire)[ in quite possibly the exact same costume], putting together some crazy lotr type stories mixed with proper symphonic power metal AND, coming back to my theme today, this mother fucker, this mother fucker christopher lee right here, put together this [not-metal] cover of ghost riders in the sky. Yeah. the country song. Yeah, he has a southern drawl. what the shit. he will be missed. Most metal dude in my lifetime. Read his bios if you want a good story
wibod

Post by wibod »

The Paparazzi cover by Machinae Supremacy is better than the Gimme More cover imotbhbbq

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnfGyWtDNWg
Zilla-

Post by Zilla- »

orly, i haven't heard of it before. i also didn't know they came out with something in 2014, lets see if its any good
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

oh man is youtube audio quality real shit even compared to 128 kbps lol

well I can't post in a metal thread without kamelot
Spoiler
dunno if cyua counts as metal (most of their stuff doesn't) but still in my top 5
Spoiler
ofc battlelore which is about as heavy as I care for most of my general listening
Spoiler
Sirenia went through a lot of hipster revivals throughout recent years but their latest album is pretty much in line with their classic gold like this.
Spoiler
Epica is pretty much the same thing as Within Temptation tbh though I feel they are a bit more consistent.
Spoiler
Sybreed is hit and miss with the hits being pretty good.
Spoiler
Celldweller is kind of neat with a lot of instrumental and remix tracks useful for mods (was gonna use a lot in Apex tbh). Less metal and more electronic though.
Spoiler
Delain looked promising but most of their tracks, especially the new ones, don't compare to this one.
Spoiler
Tristania is more heavier stuff I listened to a lot during my earlier years (along with Leaves Eyes).
Spoiler
Evergrey was one of the bands Mucky introduced to me many years ago. Their compilation album is a loudness war mess.
Spoiler
Drowning Pool - only recently listed to them and used some in Shanktarium.
Spoiler
Dark Moor - only have some stashed away in old directories. Some of it is pretty good. More power metal (like Rhapsody) feeling to it than most on this list.
Spoiler
Edenbridge - Listened to them a lot during my early brood war/writing days. More rockish than metal though.
Spoiler
Farmer boys - again more oldschool listening stuff...
Spoiler
ofc everyone remembers Lacuna Coil from the MFTGATRL days.
Spoiler
Same with Therion
Spoiler
Zilla-

Post by Zilla- »

I keep meaning to make a large power metal post of my own but now i keep having work to do ;_;

For the moment heres a kickass video from Dark Tranquility [melodeath]. Even if you dont like the genre id recommend the video as just some crazy trippy shit, worth a watch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzVDt1xYFsM
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

This thread will be my angry-at-work answer.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
Zilla-

Post by Zilla- »

I kept meaning to do an epic power metal post, but TOO LATE DOOM MONTH~
Break out the bong and get heavily fuzzified by the heavy and occult.

Can't start off the season with anything other than the Wizard imo:
Electric Wizard - Funeralopolis: Electric wizard is one of my all time favourite bands, they are heavy as fuck, you can feel the smoke clouds coming through the soundwaves and Funeralopolis is one of their best
Spoiler
Not all their songs are a sledgehammer to the face though,
Mountains of Mars - is a super mellow exploration of the bass, sit back toke up and just ride that groove
Spoiler
Another juggernaut in the stoner/sludge scene is Sleep:
Dopesmoker - this hour+ masterpiece is pretty much the quintessential stoner album. Put on some headphones, crank that bitch up andyou'll be stoned as shit by the end of it. fucking heavy as a motherfucker and a total trip, highly recommended (not to be confused with wizard's Dopethrone, also highly recommended)
Spoiler
Aquarian - Alright, so maybe not everyone has an hour to dedicate to a sludge masterpiece, some of Sleep's other stuff is more alike to high on fire/the sword than EW. Holy Mountain as a whole is a great album, here's one of my highlights. Escape the sea with ascending motion, go touch the sun and return to ocean
Spoiler
also pretty girl is going to see them with the melvins in january, im jealous as fuck ;_;

anyway, lets follow that up with some witch named bands:
Witch - Seer : less choking on clouds of smoke but maybe dropping a tab or 2 or acid instead, the opening track to Witch's selftitled album is rifftastic. good cruising song, not as heavy as the prior folks but still completely fitting for the month
Spoiler
Acid Witch - Stoned to the Grave: Acid Witch is the heaviest of the 'witch' bands I'm going to cover as they are more of a death/doom band than psychedelic jamfest. instead of rocking out in the 70s this is more like the atmosphere of it being 3am on a dark october night and youre watch a low-fi horror movie on vhs. basically how i feel smoking a bowl and putting on evil dead
Spoiler
Witchcraft - Witchcraft: Similar to Witch in their aesthetic, very 70s era style psychedelic jams, but instead of rocking out while youre tripping out, witchcraft is more like taking a long lonely walk down a forest path with a book of edgar allen poe and lovecraft. very sp00ky. lol, not really, but definitely worth a listen. *as a note it wouldn't be really fair to classify them as "metal" but they are 100% doom, check em out
Spoiler
hopefully I'll have time to add more later, but please enjoy~

BONUS ROUND:
Electric Octopus- this is the album ive been listening to a lot recently, some dark groovy jazz? idk what to qualify this as but it showed up on one of my doom metal channels and is fucking amazing. I'd post an individual song but they're all like 20 minutes, and you should listen to the whole album anyway. Check it out if you want some nice mellow background jam
Spoiler
SteakofStake
Terran Dropship Flight Attendant
Terran Dropship Flight Attendant

Post by SteakofStake »

► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
these count for this thread right? if not still wanted to share some songs I like
Zilla-

Post by Zilla- »

A bit on the lighter side but so is witchcraft and electric octopus. I'll accept it.

offsprint is solid, I think Smash was one of my first albums ever and is still a favourite.

Korpiklaani i found through wc3 actually, we used to play this map BEER BEER which featured their song 'Beer Beer' as the background tune. good map but apparently it doesnt work anymore?
They also do a great cover of the leekspin song, i wish there were more covers like that
Spoiler
I'd recommend Finntroll as a followup (honestly I thought beer beer was trollhammeren the first time i heard it)
Spoiler
I was about to say I hadn't heard of the vines before but then this is the borderlands song :3 imo bl1 with no rest for the wicked had the strongest opening sequence but this one was solid. the whole game was a pretty good dlc, but i still cant wait for the next full one

Nightmare reminds me of coheed and cambria, but the name makes me think of the deathnote opening (different nightmare):
Spoiler

STILL DOOM MONTH THOUGH
so on the heavier side of things, and i do mean HEAVIER there's

Ahab - The call of the wretched sea: heavy funeral doom. you can feel the crushing weight of the ocean in this album. fun fact: its obviously moby dick oriented so folks have dubbed it whalecore, lol. I'd recommend listening to this album in full, it will take you down beneath the sea and drown you in dirty riffs and pounding drums. I'm like 90% convinced that this is what inspired murmaider by dethklok. In anycase here's a sample to whet (lol) your appetites:
Spoiler
Coming back up for air lets take a rip from:
Bongzilla - Stonesphere: one of my favourite tracks to smoke to. other than having a strangely close name to mine these guys are pretty solid. around the same weight as electric wizard but with a heavy dose of blues thrown in, whereas the wizard is more psychedelic at times. This song in particular is super groovy. just turn on, tune in and drop out. (kids dont actually drop out, school's important mkay)
Spoiler
They also do a good cover of muddy waters' champagne and reefer
Spoiler
wibod

Post by wibod »

Dark Tranquility and In Flames both released albums at the beginning of the month. DT is excellent as always and they've basically stayed at the level of Fiction for the last decade which is great because Fiction is amazing and everything since then has been as well.

In Flames continues their experimentation and have swung back towards the melodic death metal sound that they have kind of abandoned since A Sense of Purpose. At lot of fans get butthurt about the last decade of In Flames, but while the last 3 albums have been kind of week they still hit more than they miss. Battles though reminds me a lot of Come Clarity, there's a lot of really fast and pounding stuff and is generally a pretty enjoyable and consistent listen. Ive also spent the past few days listening to the whole discography, pretty interesting to see where they've come from over the past 25 years.
Zilla-

Post by Zilla- »

Kinda funny you mention In Flames, the radio has been pushing their new single [The End] for a while:
Spoiler
I think its alright, some people apparently totally hate it (if youtube comments are to be believed), but I think their older stuff [Leeches for example] is much solid. But then again its a different sound nowadays, not really comparable.
Spoiler
Zilla-

Post by Zilla- »

Today: Maximum the Hormone post~

I had meant to link one of their songs further up when there was talk of loli-metal, MtH is kinda like japanese system of a down, very abrupt transitions jumping from ultra heavy thrash/death segments to upbeat airy pop-punk type bits with a good measure of black and occasionally speed metal thrown in. super high energy throughout. The only problem with them is that they're Japanese so the only song name I know is chu chu lovely mura mana something or other:
Spoiler
Good luck figuring out what any given song is called and navigating the million AMVs out there.

the other day the radio played one of their other songs which was what I was hoping to find but instead I found a video for "マキシマム ザ ホルモン "え・い・り・あ・ん" whatever that means. It starts off kinda tame like a regular Oh lets record a show -type music video but around 1:30 the drugs kick in, Check it out:
Spoiler
!!!! finally found the song i was looking for:
Spoiler
lolhellsing

After that i couldnt help but listening to some more of their stuff and thought it worth a mention, here are a few songs I enjoyed:
Spoiler
Spoiler
BONUS: Deathnote opening song~
Spoiler