Metal Thread

Moderator: Milldawg

Zilla-
Protoss Dragoon Shooting Target

Re: Metal Thread

Post by Zilla- »

wibod wrote:Not a big fan of black metal, but I do like this offering from Eldamar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaoVdzo00lI
Heard the first 5 minutes and loved it. Im a fan of these atmospheric joints, it reminds me of draconian except not gothy. <3~

Draconian - Death come near me (atmospheric gothic death/doom, similar feel though)
Spoiler
no time for a proper post ;_;
Zilla-

Post by Zilla- »

a Russian doom project that came up in recommendations, very much in the same psychedelic rock vein as stoned jesus from before. Pure instrumentals I think though. nice long jammy tracks that make for some good music to just chill out to. the album art is kinda dope too

Ritual Haze - Machine Sun
Spoiler

EDIT:
4:20 friday bonus track~

Random metal cover of Gangplank Galleon from DKC :3 \m/
Spoiler
Revolta
Terran Nuclear Silo Safety Inspector

Post by Revolta »

Ritual Haze reminds me of Darius, I love instrumental music in this style.
Spoiler
wibod
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper

Post by wibod »

I've been on a large melodeath kick for the last month and a half and I keep coming back to Dark Tranquility's most recent album Atoma. There's just so much to like about it, and it gets better and better with every listen. Force of Hand and Faithless by Default are two highlights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv0C-gVFN28
Zilla-

Post by Zilla- »

Revolta wrote:Ritual Haze reminds me of Darius, I love instrumental music in this style.
Spoiler

nah but this is nice though :3 it reminded me of Russian Circles a bit. I saw them live a few years ago (with Chelsea Wolfe [possible follow up on em come next oct.]) and while the band was amazing there were these 4-6 guys that kept trying to start a pit....at a post rock show... dafuq. nobody was going along with it, everyone is just kinda grooving out and theres these dudes trying to mosh, kinda funny. Anyway here's Death rides a Horse from Enter. The whole album is pretty solid, but this is the highlight of it for me. shit, haven't heard this in a WHILE....
Spoiler
wibod wrote:I've been on a large melodeath kick for the last month and a half and I keep coming back to Dark Tranquility's most recent album Atoma. There's just so much to like about it, and it gets better and better with every listen. Force of Hand and Faithless by Default are two highlights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv0C-gVFN28
I had wanted to do a melo-death month experiment similar to doom month a couple of years ago. I was going to use Dethklok as a starting point :3 they were a staple in my rotation for a while, and tbh I think brendon small did a pretty good job. There was a documentary somewhere on how he'd put the different songs together and he'd imagine how the characters would try to "contribute" and build it that way. kinda cool. I'll try to look it up later maybe.

It was hard trying to think of what to link though, I was going to dothe murmaider songs because they fit nicely together, but honestly Black Fire Upon Us is one of my favourites (that first 1:40 so good~ and then the rest of it too~~) and also one that I feel is a bit underplayed
Spoiler
Zilla-

Post by Zilla- »

89.5 WSOU- Seton Hall Pirates Radio
So I've mentioned the radio a few times and i think they're worth a proper write up so here goes.

WSOU is a local college radio station out of East Orange NJ (the hood, no srsly, its fucking newark thats a terrible area) that plays (almost) non-stop metal. With that said there are a bunch of pros and cons to be addressed, i'll tackle the negatives first.

-its a radio station, so they play a lot of what i would consider to be junk/filler. Sometimes it'll just be shitty hatebreed type bands for an hour or 2.
-its a college radio station, so its all students. some of them are terrible, like they'll mispronounce bands and stumble over their words, sometimes they'll forget to lower the music while they talk or which microphone to use. tbh its kinda hilarious hearing them try to read a newsscript and choke on air
-its a college radio station, with SPORTS, so every now and then the'll cut the music to bring you LIVE AND EXCITING WOMENS BASKETBALL. or their hockey(?) or something, honestly once I find out that they're cutting away from tunes i change the channel. it might be good, but i dont really care about sports and i didnt go to the school so theres not really much there for me

a few drawbacks to be sure, but for the positives:
-its a radio station, THAT PLAYS METAL. honestly there isn't another one, or at least not around here, that plays proper metal. I'm in whats supposed to be the cultural capital of the world and every single other station is trash 99% of the time, heres one thats actually not bad
-its a radio station, and with that comes a huge variety of music, even while sticking to the same "genre". while their regular rotation is pretty stock at times they also have specialty shows (that i would personally Highly recommend). one night they'll drop 2 hours of power/viking/melodeath type stuff (Storming The Ramparts), another it'll be a block of doom/sludge/experimental (Blurred Visions). They have a night for punk/emo stuff if thats more your speed, as well as a few others shows. Mondays they usually have a new album that they play in full, usually with a few giveaways.
-its a college radio station, so no commercials. one of the biggest reasons i listen to them, my shitty car can't do other music so having something where im not getting constantly bombarded with ads is such a nice breath of fresh air
-its a local radio station, they play a lot of bands out of NY/NJ, its nice hearing little bands played alongside the megadeths and opeths. some are kinda good, Thank You Scientist and E-Town Concrete that I mentioned earlier are always a treat
-Its a college radio station, so no fancy soundbytes, they have a few liners but other stations that i listen to are all full of sound effect things, when folks are talking it sounds like it was recorded in a booth and cleaned up and dubbed over and just thrown onto a playlist, nobody is on the other side of the mic, just a computer. Here you can tell that they cant afford (or dont want) any of that fancy self-promotion/automation stuff, like i said before the djs will consistently fuck up but that roughness adds a layer of authenticity. I want my metal station to be a bit dirty and grungy and held together with duct-tape. thats keeping it metal

All told, its not perfect and I only really listen to it while im driving, but I drive a fuckload and i'm listening to this 99% of the time. I've found a lot of new bands by listening to them, and overall they're pretty good, just hope a good dj is on. check em out if theres a need for some background noise
Zilla-

Post by Zilla- »

This morning's commute gave me this wonderful gem,

Zeal and Ardor - Come on down and they have the best description of the sound:
Imagine this: Django sacrifices a goat on stage while intimidating slave chants roar and screeching guitar riffs burn in the background. Then the rhythmic chain rattling evoking a satanic summoning makes way for the eerily familiar melodies of Norwegian black metal.
Slave blues + black metal, crazy shit, check it out

EDIT:
found a bideo for their other song~
Spoiler
Double edit:
https://noisey.vice.com/en_us/article/z ... -interview
apparently the whole thing started as a 4chan suggestion :3
wibod

Post by wibod »

True to form, the writers on vice are insufferable faggots. Interesting album though.
Zilla-

Post by Zilla- »

I've had a lot of good doom coming my way recently, i mean I know thats my theme for october but honestly its my favourite subgenre, anyway heres some stuff that just came out

Bees Made Honey in the Vein Tree - Medicine, another of the groovy psychedelic vibes, honestly I love this type of sound, so soothing and perfect for getting lost in. This one I'd say is very much on the lighter side, but with the right amount of heaviness and classic doom riffs that brings it right back down to where it needs to be.
Spoiler

Pallbear - Thorns, I can't believe I haven't done a proper writeup for these guys, I could have sworn I had posted about them already. In any case they're a modern traditional doom group, more in line with candlemass than electric wizard, I love them though, their last two albums are amazing and I'll do a proper post eventually but they just came out with this new single off an upcoming album. Not their strongest imo, but still a solid track i'd recommend
Spoiler
Zilla-

Post by Zilla- »

A little while ago i stumbled on this music video with a goblin working in an office, recently I saw they did a follow up a while back. overall not bad, although i still haven't bothered to listen to their other stuff so I don't really want to comment on the band overall, just a couple solid melo-death (with weird technoish breakdowns?) tracks with fun visuals attached and some good basswork. eh? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nekrogoblikon
No one survives
Spoiler
We need a gimmick
Spoiler
Nekrogoblikon [S/T]
Spoiler
SteakofStake
Terran Dropship Flight Attendant
Terran Dropship Flight Attendant

Post by SteakofStake »

Zilla!!! you posted nekrogoblikon and didn't include this song?
[bbvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryD8bPwFaAM[/bbvideo]
wibod

Post by wibod »

There was some talk about Machinae Supremacy earlier in the thread, apparently they released a new album in December.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWjmM-ejIbM

Their albums usually have a problem with most of it being excellent, but then having a few parts that are solo wankery and pretty forgettable. This one doesn't really have this problem and as a result the album is shorter than most of their stuff, but it's very strong throughout.
wibod

Post by wibod »

Hadn't heard of Amaranthe before, but they came up as a suggestion because of Machinae Supremacy I guess. They're ok, biggest issue is their albums seem really disjointed and all over the place, but they fill the role of being uptempo background noise pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvxF9a6MRcU

Is probably the best of their content
Zilla-

Post by Zilla- »

Just a few quickies, work is so busy now ;_;

Random trip down memory lane~:
A few years back LoL had a metal album [Pentakill] (it was ok, I feel that the source material held them back a bit actually, the weakest part being the lyrics which are mostly just spells/items/etc.) with Lightbringer as a single:
Spoiler
(although imo, the instrumental Ohmwrecker is much better. mostly due to being an instrumental :3)
Spoiler
Anyway, when that dropped I remember Lyzol was asking if it qualified as speed metal (he doesn't listen to much/any metal in general), so to show him an example of something that would fit that bill I linked the 3 "strato-" songs that Stratovarius put together. To this day they are some of my favourite instrumentals

Stratovarius
Spoiler
Stratosphere (the best imo, the first 1:30 has a million notes and then it chills the fuck out. Baroque as shit, and dat bass~)
Spoiler
Stratofortress
Spoiler
Their other stuff is solid too but i was just thinking about that conversation while driving home the other night
Last edited by Zilla- on Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Revolta

Post by Revolta »

you linked lightbringer twice in the first section.

There will be a second pentakill album, let's hope it has better instrumentation than the first.