Fried video card

Moderator: Milldawg

SteakofStake
Terran Dropship Flight Attendant

Fried video card

Post by SteakofStake »

Welp just got home played a video game and my graphics card fucked itself in the ass right after an update, and I was looking for some recommendations on what new one I should get. Wibod gave me a link to one in vent the other day but I can't find where I wrote that down so yeah....I have like 300 dollars to spend (350 if needed) and then im broke basically
Rocco
Zerg Ultralisk Waste Manager
Zerg Ultralisk Waste Manager

Re: Fried video card

Post by Rocco »

That sucks =/

I've heard a lot of good things from some PC master race friends about AMD's newer RX 480 which goes for ~$200. I don't own one myself so don't take my word for it. Other than that I don't have much to add, sadly. I haven't built a PC in quite some time.
[quote="AA7Dragoon"]
No homo.
[/quote]
UntamedLoli
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy

Post by UntamedLoli »

I would just get the RX 480 in that case.
wibod
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper

Post by wibod »

http://pcpartpicker.com/search/?q=rx+480

If you want to wait for a week or two non-reference cards should be coming out that offer better cooling solutions and the ability to overclock. The 4gb version is $200, 8gb $230. The 470 and 460 are also coming out in the next two weeks which will be cheaper, and may be worth getting if all you play is esports.
SteakofStake

Post by SteakofStake »

I was thinking about ordering http://www.ncixus.com/products/?sku=133 ... omoid=1651
tomorrow, but the non-reference cards have me interested, you got any more information on them?
wibod

Post by wibod »

SteakofStake wrote:I was thinking about ordering http://www.ncixus.com/products/?sku=133 ... omoid=1651
tomorrow, but the non-reference cards have me interested, you got any more information on them?
Sapphire Nitro is supposed to be the first non-reference card. Generally they'll fix some issues that the reference design has; cooler is not very good, and power delivery is only a 6-pin connector which will kill overclock potential due to insufficient power delivery. Don't buy gigabyte as their customer service is atrocious and you'll spend 6-10 weeks emailing people who don't speak english if there's an issue with your card. I'd also stay away from ASUS, with Sapphire and MSI being the "best" brands and Powercolor and XFX being a little below them. XFX has great warranties as well.
Hercanic
Protoss Stargate Concierge
Protoss Stargate Concierge

Post by Hercanic »

The tech world passes me by until the next time I build a computer, then it's binge-research time, so right now I can't speak with any authority about the latest generation of video cards. However, I would recommend double-checking your favorite games to make sure they don't have any known issues with a brand of card. For instance, some companies develop for nVidia cards as part of a preferential contract or somesuch, resulting in ATX-specific problems that are overlooked.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Steak, super late to the party, obviously, but I always base my purchase on upcoming or the most common games I use now. My last purchase was when I was heavily into GTA5 and that, well.... demanding.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator