RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Windows 10

Post by RazorclawX »

The ponderance.

* Buy into the DirectX craze because you want to keep playing PC games

- or -

* Keep your workspace as-is because you know Microsoft will screw it up.

Accursed Microsoft.
-- Razorclaw X
Creator of Wanderers of Sorceria and Vision of the Future
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: Windows 10

Post by IskatuMesk »

I'll stick to Windows 7 and just use Vulcan when it shows up in UE4. I don't see any rush to switch to a higher DX standard when most games are still DX9 today, and nothing new interests me.

But really I don't want to have to update my workspace. If/when I get a new machine I'll still probably keep it Windows 7, but I'll leave this machine untouched for work to not clutter the new one. Or something. I guess that depends how responsive remote access is.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Don't worry, I'll take the plunge as 50 computers at work need to be updated!
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

I finally updated to Windows 10. Almost everything works like it should except one dinosaur program which I never used to begin with.

Of course it also tried to "help" me by updating my graphics drivers which I'd already updated which caused a nice mess such that I had to wipe my graphics drivers for the first time ever. I thought it was amusing to have Catalyst Control Center and Radeon Crimson fight each other for control at first, but then I had to be the grownup and stop them.

Maybe it's because I waited long enough for the rest of the suckers to suffer all the problems, but after defanging the crap out of the new stuff it's really no different from Windows 7.
-- Razorclaw X
Creator of Wanderers of Sorceria and Vision of the Future
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

I had a hell of a time with my Nvidia drivers, and ended up rolling my computer back at least a dozen, if not two dozen, times. Ends up a rouge program installed itself as the driver during the update when it was acquiring "Windows 10 drivers" for my card, which were default Windows drivers. It had installed and caused issues with GeForce installing the real drivers, leading to a failure and a grand 640x480 resolution. Figured it out eventually, and could only blame myself.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
UntamedLoli
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy

Post by UntamedLoli »

The only real issues I've had using it since release have been related to major updates breaking the X-Fi sound card drivers. Reinstalling them would fix it though. Anything else was the usual NTFS prior installation issues with permissions or UAC. I got tired really fast of having restricted drive root access on an admin account. I find it hilarious that their "apps" don't work without UAC, no loss regardless.
Hercanic
Protoss Stargate Concierge
Protoss Stargate Concierge

Post by Hercanic »

V just got a new computer. It had Windows 8.1. Holy crap the setup was ridiculous. They literally force you to register an outlook/hotmail email account to install a fucking OS. I don't want your "cloud" shit shoved down my throat, Microsoft.

Oh, and at the start you can select your language. Great! Since we got it in Japan, it was Japanese by default. We changed it to English and clicked next... ...It continued to be in Japanese until the end. Turns out it does fuckall, because you have to manually download the language file, and you obviously can't do that until you get through all their goddamn bullshitty email registrations and unchecking the multitude of "Allow Microsoft to spy on you" 'options'.

Hah, so they'll use my internet connection to create a fucking email address that's limited to their proprietary service and send a fucking code to it that I have to somehow access with another computer, but they can't recognize that I might want all this in English and use that very same internet connection to, say, automatically download the necessary fucking language files?!
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

I haven't heard a single good thing about any of the semi-recent updates for Windows 7, either. Apparently they are doing their darndest to force the spying garbage from win10 into the extremely large number of users who are refusing to upgrade. If only Linux wasn't such a joke right now.
Audible Idiocy
Terran Settler (Unemployed)
Terran Settler (Unemployed)

Post by Audible Idiocy »

IskatuMesk wrote:I haven't heard a single good thing about any of the semi-recent updates for Windows 7, either. Apparently they are doing their darndest to force the spying garbage from win10 into the extremely large number of users who are refusing to upgrade. If only Linux wasn't such a joke right now.
Indeed. I think that somewhere around the middle of 2015, Microsoft started pushing malware onto Win 7 users. I've had my version frozen at around February 2015, but that only prevents the obscenity that came from porting the malware from Win 10 to 7 from infecting my PC. All the things they've pushed silently for years is still there.
Mucky
Protoss Khalai Missionary

Post by Mucky »

IskatuMesk wrote:If only Linux wasn't such a joke right now.
You should try dual booting something like Ubuntu or Mint. Linux OS's aren't natively compatible with video games, but they can do just about everything else without any of the privacy-invading or hijacking bullshit.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

I've been using a really stripped down version for eyepatch activities, but apparently every release sort of still has fundamental issues that make them rather unsuitable for everyday desktop usage (at least for those without a lot of experience in them already). Things like mounting a virtual drive can be really deceptive when it does or doesn't work (given it doesn't even tell me it did anything and I have to manually refresh to verify).
Mucky

Post by Mucky »

Sounds to me like you're attempting something that's out of your league. You can't expect to jump into a barebones setup without having some experience with the command line, at least.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Yeah. I mean, I had someone tutoring me the entire time, it's definitely something I wouldn't have done normally. But the command lines are like the entire OS and intimacy with them is definitely a requirement. There is like 5+ ways to mount the virtual drive and only one worked etc.
Theia_Loki
Zerg Infested Terran (Unemployed)
Zerg Infested Terran (Unemployed)

Post by Theia_Loki »

I kept getting a BSoD Critical Process Died error starting thursday last week, and I was only browsing Google Chrome at the time (with multiple tabs open). Even spent some time kicking in every 30 or so minutes.

It's stopped for today and yesterday at least.

Didn't have this much trouble back when I was using Windows 7.
UntamedLoli

Post by UntamedLoli »

Chrome blowing up everything with GPU acceleration didn't exactly sound rare to begin with.