Is This a Good Idea?

Moderator: Milldawg

Enkidu
Terran Science Facility Guinea Pig

Is This a Good Idea?

Post by Enkidu »

Good evening, Campaign Creations... :)

Okay, I'll get to the point. I was wondering if I fixed a game alot of people know about called StarCraft: Insurrection and distributed it in Campaign Creations, or any other website that distributes SC maps and campaigns, would that be okay? If this is, in any way, a bad idea and shouldn't be considered, I'll close down and delete this topic... I don't want to start a fight on the forums unintentionally. :sweat:

I was just wondering if fixing up and modifying SC Insurrection, then distributing it, would not be against the rules? if it is against the rules, I won't be doing it. The thing is, it was gonna be modified and the Terran and Protoss chapters of Insurrection was going to be fixed, but the Zerg portion of Insurrection was gonna be cut from the game. It is kind of an alternate version of StarCraft Insurrection, but I didn't want to cause a fight in Campaign Creations if I uploaded it to the site without asking permission.

I just thought it would be a good idea to ask first. I wanted to see what everybody thinks of this idea. Of course, it won't have any mods on it or anything like Fall From Grace, but it'll be cleaned up nice and neatly and will have some modifications to the trigger work, along with a few other things in the campaigns.
Church
Zerg Ultralisk Waste Manager
Zerg Ultralisk Waste Manager

Re: Is This a Good Idea?

Post by Church »

I'm not really an expert on this or anything, but if you edited and distributed the original Insurrection files, that might actually be illegal considering that was for sale way back when.

That said I'd personally be interested in it - I never thought either Insurrection or Retribution were that great, but of the two Insurrection was definitely better.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Legally no one is likely to ever challenge you as it is simply not worth the time and probably could never be held in court against an actual defense. However, I don't know what the actual reaction of people would be. I know I personally wouldn't like someone changing or redistributing my work without first asking me about it so I could sanction it and maybe give them something to work with.
Enkidu

Post by Enkidu »

True... But what I actually meant was that I was distributing these files without pay. It is non-profit and believe me, I am not trying to gain any profit out of it, that would get me in trouble probably. By the way, I meant I'll be uploading them through Campaign Creations or Staredit.net

So, this is still a bad idea or is this okay?
Enkidu

Post by Enkidu »

Church wrote:I never thought either Insurrection or Retribution were that great, but of the two Insurrection was definitely better.
I have a copy of Insurrection in my possession, although I could never find Retribution. I don't even know if they make them anymore, let alone sell them...

Probably not. :lol:
mark_009_vn
Zerg Drone Masseur
Zerg Drone Masseur

Post by mark_009_vn »

Is this is the campaign notorious for it's comedy gold quality insurance?

Blizzard doesn't give a shit about Broodwar, left alone a failed 3rd party product hardly everyone knew... Distributing them is, yes, totally illegal, but you'll probably have no more than a handful of odd downloads anyway, so don't worry too much about getting your hands dirty.

Although I do urge you not to as your talent should be spent elsewhere, like making your own unique campaigns. I guarantee you'll be creating far better things in your own view of Starcraft...

"I'm begging you, let me work!" - Osamu Tezuka
Enkidu

Post by Enkidu »

mark_009_vn wrote:Is this is the campaign notorious for it's comedy gold quality insurance?

Blizzard doesn't give a shit about Broodwar, left alone a failed 3rd party product hardly everyone knew... Distributing them is, yes, totally illegal, but you'll probably have no more than a handful of odd downloads anyway, so don't worry too much about getting your hands dirty.

Although I do urge you not to as your talent should be spent elsewhere, like making your own unique campaigns. I guarantee you'll be creating far better things in your own view of Starcraft...
Well, Broodwar wasn't so bad... It wouldn't have been so good if they entirely didn't, at least in my opinion. Although, I agree with you that I should be making something on my own, rather than trying to make a redaction of Insurrection anyway...

Okay, well thanks for your insights guys. I am pretty contempt with what I have here. I am, so to speak, done with this topic.