Congratulations V and Herc! :)

Welcome to team Scorpio Aria!
- - - Dread
GnaReffotsirk
Zerg Larva Herder
Zerg Larva Herder

Re: My wife is pregnant

Post by GnaReffotsirk »

All I can say is R&R. Never lose it, or risk to lose everything.
Hercanic
Protoss Stargate Concierge

Post by Hercanic »

This month, we celebrated our daughter's first birthday. I still can't believe how quickly time went by. It really doesn't feel like a year. Maybe because I had so little sleep, my brain's perception of time slowed. Like it was swallowed into the event horizon of adulthood's black hole. Amidst this temporal paradox, our little girl morphed from a tiny, floppy, wailing food-guzzler to a slightly less tiny food-guzzler who can crawl around and actively endanger her life at any given moment.

It's been amazing watching her grow. Each and every thing she can do now felt like a great accomplishment. When she first started to recognize our presence, first smiled, first laughed, first started to babble, first reached out for something; these little abilities, I didn't appreciate their significance until I saw my child go from never being able to do them to doing them as if she always could. Some took time, coaxing, and teaching, while others were like a switch that just suddenly turned on. Rolling over was a major hurdle for the longest while, yet sitting up and crawling happened as if she leveled up and put points into unlocking those skills. Seriously, in one day, after propping her up on her knees she moved one leg outward and sat up for the first time. That very same night it was all she did, over and over, even when it wasn't appropriate. She was supposed to go to bed and sleep. Nope. She refused to sleep that night. Every time we laid her down, she sprang right back up onto her butt like some kind of unkillable zombie. I'd look over at her crib throughout the night and see her just sitting there, staring at me. It was a frightening night.

Now she's crawling everywhere. I still can't get over my image of her as immobile. I still can't believe that sometime soon she'll be toddling around on her own two feet. Each step forward feels unreal, as she progresses into becoming her own person. Within this next year, she'll be talking. Talking! She'll be able to express her thoughts and desires with more complexity and sophistication than her current screaming. That's better than some adults. I am excited to see it, but these moments where she's still a baby I want to hold close and treasure. I want to hurry up and see what she'll be like as a kid, teen, and grown-up, but I already miss when she was an infant sleeping on my chest. I want to keep her as a baby, but I want to see her mature. It's a conflicted feeling. With every gain of who she will be, there is a bittersweet loss of who she was.

What will she be like at 2? 3? 5? 7? 10? 13? 16? 20? Every age holds its own surprises and triumphs. The most unsettling fact, though, is to reach those ages will require me to age an equivalent amount. I never really appreciated the reality of when someone has a 10-year-old child, that means they've had them for ten whole years. That's a long-ass time! I'm going to be in my fifties when she's in her twenties. Holy crap!

Ah well, you win some, you lose some (hair).
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

I'll be 30 in half a year and I've never even held eye contact with someone before! Perspective!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Zilla-
Protoss Dragoon Shooting Target
Protoss Dragoon Shooting Target

Post by Zilla- »

wow, congrats on surviving the first year. Newborns are a motherfucker to deal with, glad to hear its all going well though. Hopefully soon you'll be able to share more of the things you had as you were growing up and create some new memories with her as well. I remember when my sister was born (she's 12 years younger than me) it was nice to have a reason to revisit all the old movies I had as a kid. time does fly though...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbR7axof1wk
Hercanic

Post by Hercanic »

Thanks!

After 2 years in Korea and 3 in Japan, we're now back in America. Traveling for nearly 24 hours with a 23mo old was, well, as expected, hellish. Not eating, not sleeping, and when she would finally sleep it would require us to contort and hold our bodies to suit her, and if we tried to find a somewhat comfortable position in the interim, without fail she'd awaken with avengence. But the flight across the Pacific was not the worst of it. We had a six hour layover in LA, and while in the family restroom she walked into the counter and fell on her butt, bruising it. She was overtired, and now the pain of her tailbone prevented her from ever getting comfortable. So she cried and screamed the entire time. All ten hours, until we finally got home and she could sleep in a bed.

This week has been challenging, with her barely sleeping and eating due to the bruising, jet lag, and of course a runny, congested nose, sinus pressure, headache, and sore throat from a cold picked up while traveling. I caught it, too.

She's doing all right now, her cold lessening and her butt recovering. She was crawling and walking like a spider instead of standing up for a while. If you stumbled upon her late at night you'd swear you entered a horror movie.