We are the subject of research

Moderator: Milldawg

IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: We are the subject of research

Post by IskatuMesk »

The main problem with that is there is no alternative to AIM. Msn was always garbage and skype is even worse, virtually unusable as a client and troublesome if you want a third party client for it (the new trillian sucks). The only real alternative is an irc channel, and you know no one is going to use that. So, it's either vent or aim.
Posy
Terran Factory Worker
Terran Factory Worker

Post by Posy »

I've added some with underlines to consider.
Thanks, I will be adding all that in addition to what others are posting.
Mucky
Protoss Khalai Missionary

Post by Mucky »

The one thing I loved about MSN was that you could start group conversations with everyone on your friends list, and no one will have any idea who invited them or why.

DRAGGED
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

IskatuMesk wrote:
Mr. wrote:
League of Legends - Milldawg, Shadowflare, Mesk, Lavarinth. Zilla- HKS
World of Warcraft - HKS, Zilla-, Bill (past) Mesk, Lavarinth (Past), Wibod (past)
BlazBlue - Ricky, Mucky, Mac_Chaos, Mesk, HKS, maybe Milldawg (ask him)
StarCraft II - Bill, Ricky, Q
Steam games - Mesk, Wibod, HKS (Group 1) | Zilla-, Lavarinth (Group 2)
True, to my information, I also played WoW for a good chunk of time. I spoke OF BlazBlue, but never played it with anyone else. This is fairly common- just because we don't play together doesn't mean we don't discuss it. Anime (...), politics, and other topics of interest constantly flood our conversations whether it's this forum, "the other forum," AIM, vent, etc.

I added Zilla- and I to a second group of individuals, we are a few of many. Steam is a huge hub of games, so it's not surprising various groups of us split up and play games together there. PayDay 2, for example, would at times include HKS and multiple League players. Civilization V has been a constant on and off occurrence between various forumers as well, but it's just too random to list them all.

--

What Zilla said about AIM is a great comment, we've all gone through various forms of communication throughout the years: ICQ, MSN/Live/etc, some of us via Yahoo, Skype, etc, but one will always triumph for some reason: AIM. My list has been maxed for years, or if it is still max I don't know, but probably 5% of those people still sign on, and we do so religiously as our main form of contact. It's just.. a place to basically text without having to text. With technology these days, we may be out but our phones allow us to communicate via AIM anyway.

Few names on AIM: Lavarinth, Zilla, Milldawg... actually.. I take it back: Everyone in that list of players quoted is on AIM, and then some. Want to start a game? AIM. Want to start a chat with a group of us? AIM. Want to poke someone you see online all the time but hasn't spoken to anyone in the community in five years? AIM. On occasion, you'll have old souls sign into it as well, I've seen Desler, the original creator of the site, sign onto AIM maybe once every two years. For what reason, I don't know. Same with Joel, the designer of the site. If they do, I try to pop them a message if there's time before they sign off.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
Zilla-
Protoss Dragoon Shooting Target
Protoss Dragoon Shooting Target

Post by Zilla- »

Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

Mucky wrote:my stick doesn't work on PS4 and I'm going through an existential crisis for it

like I want to have the new Extend and eventual BB4 games for my PS4, but then I won't have my stick for them

not that I ever advanced beyond the stage of bashing on it furiously
I am still waiting for you for Blazblue Chronophantasma Extend! I know you will come stick or without stick. The frenchman KNOWS it!

You still have a certain 25 matches towards making me pay horribly one way or another after all.

EDIT :

On the subject of AIM, I mostly use it since my main contact list is there, most people I want to contact still logs on AIM and finally it's a very lightweight program (especially the dirt old versions).

Some new chat programs I tried sometimes just have ads or other side issues that my current old version of AIM don't have.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

I have no idea why anyone would bother owning a phone, to be honest. Other than the convenience of being able to use a GPS when you strand yourself in the middle of an ocean or look up bestiality during work hours, it's just another expense in a world where almost no one has the money to spare. Everyone ends up on a computer regardless at some point in their day.

And, yeah. Ads are a huge security risk. I block them under like 3 layers of noscript/abp shit for a reason. Not about to use a chat client or something else that accesses unrelated stuff for any reason at all.

DRAGGED
Mucky

Post by Mucky »

i need a phone so i can tweet about how much i hate my computer architecture class in the middle of a lecture
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

I guess that's still more productive than Lavarinth.
Mucky

Post by Mucky »

if you want a productivity-related reason, i like having an actual phone for testing my android apps because fuck the emulator. i'm not waiting 20 minutes to test a hello world app
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

make real games!!!!!!
Posy
Terran Factory Worker
Terran Factory Worker

Post by Posy »

Kelly (I really should just create my own username): That's a good point about AIM, actually. I've got a chapter about technical information (Basically an "ELI5 how computers work" for my committee members) with sections dedicated to text chat, Ventrilo, and YouTube. I didn't specifically name AIM, but I will be sure to include a bit more about that based on what you guys have said.

Edit: Kelly tried making a post with a new SN, but it's not showing up.
Posy
Terran Factory Worker
Terran Factory Worker

Post by Posy »

Ok. I stopped being lazy and made my own account.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

You need mod approval because of bots. Somehow, bots still can make it past. But yeah.
Hercanic
Protoss Stargate Concierge
Protoss Stargate Concierge

Post by Hercanic »

Approval granted. Though it is still a bit dodgy, as you could be a really sophisticated bot that searches for any mention of "I should make my own account" and creates an account under such a guise.

Just a word of warning, I've got my eye on you, psuedo-bot Posy!