Diablo 3 Legendary Workshop

Moderator: Milldawg

Hercanic
Protoss Stargate Concierge

Diablo 3 Legendary Workshop

Post by Hercanic »

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/16520327

For the next ~24 hours, Blizzard is accepting Legendary item suggestions in a designated thread and on Twitter.
Blizzard wrote:...we will also be hosting a Legendary Workshop on the side. As part of this activity, we will be inviting a few lucky BlizzCon attendees to join developers Julian Love, John Yang, and Roger Hughston on stage to design a brand new Legendary power. Together, they will review ideas submitted in advance by you, our community, as well brainstorm new ideas on the spot!
Here is my post (gogo 2nd page!): http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/ ... ?page=2#24
Spoiler
Symbiont

Effect: Living object. Grows with character. Can consume items to obtain a random effect from it, including legendary and set effects.

Details: Consuming an item replaces the Symbiont's current bonus effect with a copy of a random stat or effect from the ingested item, destroying it in the process. Works similar to salvaging. The bonus effect can be a primary, secondary, legendary, or set effect. If a legendary effect is acquired, Symbiont cannot be equipped if wearing an item that already has the same effect.

Symbiont's item level scales with character level. Primary stat gains a bonus from paragon level, but Vitality is reduced.

Item slot: Any. Though pants, belt, chest, or gem would be convenient. If a belt or bracers, coiled serpent imagery would be appropriate.

Monster Tamer

Effect: Gain a monster ally for 120 seconds after slaying 30 of its brethren. Limit 10 monsters.

Details: After killing 30 of a specific monster type, a miniature spirit version of it spawns as a pet for a limited duration. You can gain multiple monsters of the same or different types, but at 10 the oldest monsters will be replaced or healed+duration extended if of the same type. The spirits have minimal collision, if any, and deal increased damage.

Item slot: Pants, belt, bracers, or shoulders. Intended for pet builds, so avoid helmet, gloves, weapon, and Zuni set slots.

Evil Compass

Effect: Map reveals the location of the closest elite monster.

Details: Similar to golden arrow and skull icons used for bounties and corrupt chest/shrine events.

Item slot: Any, or added to Compass Rose set. Alternatively, rather than attached to an item, it can be a bonus effect from 3 Nephalem Glory stacks.

Legendary Potion

Details: Health Orbs taken at full health reduce the potion's cooldown. Additional Health Orbs add a stacking charge to the potion. When next used, the potion adds a temporary damage shield equal to the amount of charges expended.

Legendary Dye

Details: Dyes become crafting recipes for the Enchantress. No longer sold at vendors, but dropped with varying rarities. You can apply unlocked colors to a piece of gear, or all pieces simultaneously, at the Enchantress.

Railroaded Set Pieces

As an aside, 6-set pieces suck out a lot of variety and build potential. I would prefer if they were made into 4-set pieces, with the six original items remaining for flexibility. Existing 4-set pieces could become 3-set pieces, with the extra item allowing for combination diversity.

--------------------------------------------------
CLASS SPECIFIC: Witch Doctor
--------------------------------------------------

Shadow Stalkers

Effect: Fetishes become incorporeal shadows.

Details: Fetishes gain ghostly black transparency and leave a faint smoke trail. They can no longer block enemies, but they are invulnerable and do not block each other or other pets from their target. Ideal for narrow passages, which severely limit a pet build's damage.

Alternative effect 1: Fetishes enter the spirit realm whenever the caster does.

Alternative effect 2: Fetishes teleport to their target. (puff of shadowy smoke; finds open position around target without needing to travel there)

Alternative effect 3: Fetishes leap at targets outside of melee range, dealing area damage on impact. (small internal cooldown; with a great lunging animation, I'd vote for this effect over the others, as it'd be the most terrifying)

Item slot: Pants, belt, bracers, shoulders, or added to Zuni set. Intended for pet builds, so avoid helmet, gloves, weapon, and Zuni set slots.

Shaman's Mantle

Effect: Hex summons two permanent Fetish Shamans. They can resurrect fallen Fetishes.

Details: Thematically matches Diablo 2's Fetish Shaman. No effect with Angry Chicken rune. Toad of Hugeness could give two giant toads, but instead of resurrecting Fetishes, they could instead burp Plague of Toads.

Items slot: Pants, belt, bracers, shoulders, or added to Zuni set. Intended for pet builds, so avoid helmet, gloves, weapon, and Zuni set slots.

Vile Spittle

Effect: Zombie dogs gain a ranged attack, firing three projectiles.

Details: Projectile matches element, such as an inky ichor for physical, fireball for fire, and green venom for poison. Burning Dog's projectiles gain area effect damage.

Item slot: Pants, belt, bracers, or shoulders. Intended for pet builds, particularly Tall Man's Finger, so avoid helmet, gloves, weapon, and Zuni set slots.

Grave Digger / Mire

Effect: Grasp of the Dead pulls monsters into the ground, immobilizing them. Absorbs hostile ground effects.

Details: The models of affected enemies are lowered waist-deep into the terrain, with a size-applicable decal of upturned earth surrounding them. Ground effects include elite monster's Desecrator, Molten, Plagued, Poison Enchanted, Ice, and Waller.

Item slot: Any. Consider adding it to the Helltooth set as a zombie-focused theme.

Nesting Doll

Effect: On death, a Fetish spawns two tiny Bone Fetishes for 10 seconds. These explode on death, dealing area damage.

Details: The horrors from Diablo 2, brought to bear against your enemies. Fast, deadly, and a surprise ending.

Alternative effect: On death, a Fetish spawns a Small Bone Fetish. When a Small Bone Fetish dies, it explodes and spawns a Tiny Bone Fetish, who also explodes on death.

Item slot: Pants, belt, bracers, shoulders, or added to Zuni set. Intended for pet builds, so avoid helmet, gloves, weapon, and Zuni set slots.

*NEW* Circus Cannon

Effect: Launches your fetishes at those hit by your attacks, dealing 300% weapon damage to targets within 12 yards.

Details: A fetish furthest from the target is selected and flung onto the target (with an occasional jubilant "weee!"), dealing area damage on landing and quickly taking a melee position around them. Allows you to focus your fetishes on a priority target and hike them over obstacles in narrow corridors.

*NEW* Blaster Master

Effect: When summoned, you jump onto the back of your Gargantuan.

Details: You hitch a ride on your Gargantuan, either clinging to his back or sitting on his shoulders (think giant fetish shaman), and can use your skills normally. He will automatically attack enemies within range, but you control his movements. You gain significant toughness, ideal for any build that needs to get up close to enemies. You are protected from one crowd control effect, but are knocked off by it and thrown a safe distance away.

Item slot: Any. Particularly good synergy for Jade and Fear doctors.

Putting many of these items together into my pet build, I would now be able to deal with some of the biggest problems it faces:
  • Shadow Stalkers helps Fetishes quickly position themselves to deal damage, even in cramped corridors. Leap FTW!
  • Shaman's Mantle helps bring my Fetishes back when they're obliterated, along with added utility. Probably the best thematic way to keep us in the action over simply buffing Fetish toughness, as it puts a 'reloading' pause on pet master DPS rather than a full shutdown. Blizzard, you might even want to add this to the default Shaman. Shouldn't he be permanent anyway? Considering he's got a 12 second duration and a 15 second cooldown, that's already near-permanent with busywork. I would like to see him modeled after the DH's Companion, with a permanent Shaman spawned just by having the skill, and an active ability that utilizes the key.
  • Nesting Doll keeps monsters occupied even if my army is wiped by a meteor or cyclone, time that my Shamen can use to get them back up, and deals parting damage to make up for the loss. I won't feel so bad when Fetishes die, because I'll gain something from it, something cruel and evil and utterly delightful.
  • Vile Spittle keeps my high-DPS gargantuan Dog engaged against targets, rather than idling behind obstacles.
  • Monster Tamer lets me enjoy a diverse and ever-growing army. Mini-monsters would be too cute! Gotta catch 'em all!
  • Finally, if any of these take up the same slot, Symbiont can be used to grab the legendary effect I need on another item slot, like a Ring of Royal Grandeur for legendaries.
Krazy
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper

Re: Diablo 3 Legendary Workshop

Post by Krazy »

Hercanic

Post by Hercanic »

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d5HOjsM6xY0
So, I was looking forward to watching a live design process, only to have Blizzard betray these expectations and completely talk over it all. The designers were on stage in front of a whiteboard, but they might as well have been in a hidden room for all it mattered.

Let me save you an hour:
  1. Witch doctor, exploding his head: designer liked it.
  2. Witch doctor, Grasp of the Dead causing monsters who die on it to explode: designer liked it, as it created gameplay to keep monsters on the effect.
  3. Items that give skills from other classes: no good, infringes on what makes each class what it is.
  4. Item that rotates through the different elements and increases their damage: designer really liked it, as it went with the Wizard's master-of-elements motif they had originally wanted.
  5. Mighty weapons might become mighty in the future?
The majority of the time was instead spent on them rehashing crap they've already exhaustively talked about, like how and why they cancelled the auction house, smart drops and less-is-more Loot 2.0, changing legendary items from stat sticks to build-definers, etc etc.
Krazy

Post by Krazy »

Yes, well. . . do you still play D3? I haven't logged on in . . . a while? Almost a year now, although not quite.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Herc is d3's last biggest fan.
Hercanic

Post by Hercanic »

Krazy wrote:Yes, well. . . do you still play D3? I haven't logged on in . . . a while? Almost a year now, although not quite.
I do, but even if I didn't I would still be interested in seeing how a major company like Blizzard conducts its in-house design process.