Moderator: Milldawg

Topic author
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

IllumiRoom, kinda cool

Postby Lavarinth » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:03 pm

http://research.microsoft.com/apps/vide ... ?id=191304

First it was LEDs in the back of your TV, then LEDs that react to the colors on the screen, now it's.. IllumiRoom.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator

UntamedLoli
Protoss Infested Terran (Unemployed)

Re: IllumiRoom, kinda cool

Postby UntamedLoli » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:17 pm

Seems like it would be nice for some things but just flat out distracting for others.

IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:57 pm

We also contribute specific feedback from two groups of target users (10 gamers and 15 game designers);

Talk about insignificant sample sizes.

I don't see a video or anything on that page but it sounds kind of interesting.

/edit

Oh, it's not quite what I thought. Pretty much ditto what HKS said. The FPS examples look really bad but I can see some stuff being pretty cool with it.
Image~[Gameproc]~Image
Warning: dialogue contains politically incorrect content. Viewer rearsore may occur.

Dread
Terran Command Center Custodian
Terran Command Center Custodian

Postby Dread » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:49 pm

The new XBOX is rumored to be an IllumiRoom device. It's the encompassing experience that only the new level of 360 could deliver. The 360 gaming experience + 360 immersion experience. The XBOX 720. This rumor has basically no substance; however that's more than enough for gaming news these days.

You saw it confirmed here first today!

I wonder how cool a big space RTS or turn-based sort of game would look on that thing. Floating around seeing the entire universe. :3
- - - Dread

Topic author
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Postby Lavarinth » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:07 pm

I'm not saying it'd work great with everything, myself, but some of the effects were cool. I really enjoyed the racing in the snow, for example (and that's the only major thing I liked, aside the example of Portal).
- - Lavarinth

IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:15 pm

Yeah, like Dread said, the most interesting application to me is space-based stuff. Not necessarily games, but movies. It'd be cool to have that kind of immersion available to Black Sun, for example.
Image~[Gameproc]~Image
Warning: dialogue contains politically incorrect content. Viewer rearsore may occur.

wibod
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper

Postby wibod » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:25 pm

I think it could have neat applications with things like ArmA or flight sims and serving as a sort of peripheral vision.

UntamedLoli

Postby UntamedLoli » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:43 pm

wibod wrote:I think it could have neat applications with things like ArmA or flight sims and serving as a sort of peripheral vision.

I would probably just run an Eyefinity set up for anything that wasn't just ambient effects.

Topic author
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Postby Lavarinth » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:38 am

Hunter_Killers wrote:
wibod wrote:I think it could have neat applications with things like ArmA or flight sims and serving as a sort of peripheral vision.

I would probably just run an Eyefinity set up for anything that wasn't just ambient effects.

Eyefinity costing hundreds more... :3
- - Lavarinth

UntamedLoli

Postby UntamedLoli » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:49 am

Lavarinth wrote:
Hunter_Killers wrote:

You get what you choose to pay for. Wide angle projectors aren't that cheap either.

mark_009_vn

Postby mark_009_vn » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:09 am

Hunter_Killers wrote:
Lavarinth wrote:
Hunter_Killers wrote:

You get what you choose to pay for. Wide angle projectors aren't that cheap either.

Eyefinity + TrackIR is the onlything possible to really achieve that peripheral effect. I don't think this IllumiRoom doohickey would work very well with TrackIR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDu9NZHkRUE

"I'm begging you, let me work!" - Osamu Tezuka

wibod

Postby wibod » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:36 am

mark_009_vn wrote:
Hunter_Killers wrote:
Lavarinth wrote:
Hunter_Killers wrote:

Eyefinity + TrackIR is the onlything possible to really achieve that peripheral effect. I don't think this IllumiRoom doohickey would work very well with TrackIR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDu9NZHkRUE

I don't see why any reason it wouldn't work with TIR, as all TIR does is move the camera when you move your head, and doesn't really provide a peripheral affect at all. I'm talking about how you have a relatively narrow field of view that is in focus, and a much broader peripheral field of view that isn't in as great a focus.

Anyways the main problem I see with an eyefinity setup is that it's relying on the devs to code for it's usage, and most don't. Whereas the projector has it's own software and presumably works with most anything.

Anyways the biggest problem with the projector for this type of application is that it would have to be arranged in a very certain way to function properly on a PC as it's likely to be behind the user.

Topic author
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Postby Lavarinth » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:20 am

If by project you mean the IllumiRoom, it's intended to "sit on a coffee table" though I can already imagine the clever stands they'll sell to make it stand the proper height in the middle of a room (aka: a mini tripod).
- - Lavarinth

wibod

Postby wibod » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:34 am

Lavarinth wrote:If by project you mean the IllumiRoom, it's intended to "sit on a coffee table" though I can already imagine the clever stands they'll sell to make it stand the proper height in the middle of a room (aka: a mini tripod).

Lavarinth confirmed for microsoft shill.

mark_009_vn

Postby mark_009_vn » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:42 am

wibod wrote:
I don't see why any reason it wouldn't work with TIR, as all TIR does is move the camera when you move your head, and doesn't really provide a peripheral affect at all. I'm talking about how you have a relatively narrow field of view that is in focus, and a much broader peripheral field of view that isn't in as great a focus.

Anyways the main problem I see with an eyefinity setup is that it's relying on the devs to code for it's usage, and most don't. Whereas the projector has it's own software and presumably works with most anything.

Anyways the biggest problem with the projector for this type of application is that it would have to be arranged in a very certain way to function properly on a PC as it's likely to be behind the user.

When you move your heads around chances are your field of vision is going to shift to the edges of the screen. Because of this IllumiRoom it might break the immersion since you'll notice that the projection is fake; where Eyefinity multiple monitors could at least compensate.

Then again, it's just all speculations..

"I'm begging you, let me work!" - Osamu Tezuka

Return to “General Discussion”